The Student Room Group

Can I get into a uni to which I've declined an offer?

I'm hoping to go to uni in September, but I'm unsure if I'll get the grades for my firm choice (Southampton - BBB).
Aside from Southampton, I like Reading (BBB) the most, but will not be putting it as my insurance choice because it asks for the same grades.
Instead, I will be choosing Canterbury (BBC), but to be honest I didn't like it as much.

So my firm choice will be Southampton and my insurance Canterbury, BUT I prefer Reading (whose offer I will not be accepting) to Canterbury.

If, on results day, I don't get BBB and am rejected by Southampton, do I have the opportunity to contact Reading, bearing in mind that I have previously declined their offer AND I didn't get the asking grades?
I've done some research into clearing but I still don't really understand how it works in this situation.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by asdfghjkl1234567
I'm hoping to go to uni in September, but I'm unsure if I'll get the grades for my firm choice (Southampton - BBB).
Aside from Southampton, I like Reading (BBB) the most, but will not be putting it as my insurance choice because it asks for the same grades.
Instead, I will be choosing Canterbury (BBC), but to be honest I didn't like it as much.

So my firm choice will be Southampton and my insurance Canterbury, BUT I prefer Reading (whose offer I will not be accepting) to Canterbury.

If, on results day, I don't get BBB and am rejected by Southampton, do I have the opportunity to contact Reading, bearing in mind that I have previously declined their offer AND I didn't get the asking grades?
I've done some research into clearing but I still don't really understand how it works in this situation.

Thanks!

best to contact reading now and ask them what happens if someone misses an over by one grade (do not say your name though)
Reply 2
Don't put Canterbury if you don't like it simply because it is asking for lower grades. As the previous poster said, call them and see how lenient they are. They may still accept you even if you don't get BBB. A lot of people put their insurance offer to be even higher than their firm offer because they don't want to go anywhere else. If you do miss your firm and end up at Canterbury it could take a few days for them to release you at which point all the decent clearing places could be gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above, its nuts to put any Uni as an Insurance choice of you dont want to go there. Yes, in an ideal world you'd have a Uni with lower grades than S'ton as your Insurance but sometimes that option isnt the best one to take.

Put Reading as your Insurance. Unless you miss your grades by a mile then its very likely one of those Unis will take you. They are not asking A grades, therefore its not a mega-competitive course and one of these Unis will most likely accept one dropped grade. No, this isnt a guarantee but its better that ending up at a Uni you never actually wanted to go to.
Original post by r-t
Don't put Canterbury if you don't like it simply because it is asking for lower grades. As the previous poster said, call them and see how lenient they are. They may still accept you even if you don't get BBB.

NO University will tell you prior to exam season that they will definitely accept you with lower grades!

If you phone, you will just be told that the only way to guarantee your offer is to get the required grades.

Whilst some Unis will end up taking people with lower grades, the Unis wont have any way of deciding this before Results Day - when they can see how many applicants have actually fulfilled their offers and how many 'spaces' they have. So unless you've got a crystal ball and can spot all this in advance your best bet is simply to work your butt off for the to get the required grades.
Basically if you dont get your first choice, it will automatically confirm you to do your insurance, which means if you want to use clearing you d have to withdraw from your insurance, which can take hours you dont have for some people.

so dont put canterbury if you dont really want to go there
Reply 6
So can you go to a uni you've rejected an offer from before, through Clearing?
Original post by Tramethy
So can you go to a uni you've rejected an offer from before, through Clearing?

Yes.
Why did you reject the offer if you actually want to go there ....?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending