The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics

I'm starting this thread to discuss the Physics exam on Tuesday. Last year's paper was easy compared to the model papers from Hodder Gibson, do you think it will be more difficult or the same level as last year? In the Physics report for last year, they felt the exam was fair.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/PhysicsNational5CR2014.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Do you need to know about transformers and coils? It seems to come up a lot in past papers but we haven't covered it in class?
Reply 2
Original post by BeatricePrior
Do you need to know about transformers and coils? It seems to come up a lot in past papers but we haven't covered it in class?

We have never done anything about that, like, ever. Nor do I remember going over Insulators and Conductors, which seems to be in my textbook. I've went over it a little bit just to be on the safe side. Really panicking now, not long to go :s-smilie:
Original post by BeatricePrior

I remember worrying about this at Nat 5 too, but it definitely isn't in the course! It was in the old Int 2 course but they've removed it now (thankfully) :biggrin:
Reply 4
Last year's paper was fairly easy, I've sat it. Remember model papers are not made by SQA so this year's exam should be about the same level as last year. Also remember that an npn transistor switches on at 0.7V if it asks you that.
The only thing that was weird about last year's paper was one of the answers being a huge acceleration - it was like 400ms-2 for a homemade plastic bottle water rocket :curious: Oh and I remember there being an annoying question about describing an experiment/the apparatus used; I'm always terrible at those ones. But yeah I'd agree that the final exam was easier than the model papers, so don't be too put off if you're finding them difficult!
How did we find that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by tommcmillan_
How did we find that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too difficult, some hard questions like the child throwing a stone off the cliff but that might be due to me forgetting how to find vertical velocity
Reply 8
If anyone has answers to section one, please share :smile:
Reply 9
I found the paper alot harder than the specimen or last years paper, also did anyone get a crazy answer over the lines of 545455454 ?
Original post by ainslie1
I found the paper alot harder than the specimen or last years paper, also did anyone get a crazy answer over the lines of 545455454 ?

Yes! I go that but changed to 5x10^9 I'm sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tommcmillan_
Yes! I go that but changed to 5x10^9 I'm sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok good haha! how did you find it?
Reply 12
Original post by ainslie1

Got that as well. Thank god I'm not the only one:smile:
The same as you. I doubt I have got an A probes a B or at least a C

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok this is a stupid question but did anyone feel they got a lot of "E" answers for multiple choice :smile:))
Reply 15
Yeah I remember I used E alot, and that I only used B once or twice.
Reply 16
What did people get for the brightness of the bulb question?
Reply 17
I got brighter because the first bulb and resistor would have less of a potential difference across them
Reply 18
I said the bulb without the resistor would be dimmer, because the resistor on the other bulb made the voltage for that bulb greater, taking away voltage from the other one making it dimmer?
What about you?
Reply 19
Well if you use the parallel resistor formula so say the bulb equals 5ohms and the resistor equals 20ohms

1 = 1 +1. = 4 + 1. = 5. = 4 ohms
RT. 5. 20 20. 20. 20

and the the other bulb would equal 5ohms
so because the resistance across the second bulb is greater than the first one it would recieve more voltage and therefor be brighter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending