The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0522) 05/05/15 Everyone Ready???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calzs34
On 3a will we only be allowed to write 15 and no more? Because what if one of my bullet points is considered wrong?

And for question A is it right I should be trying to make 5 sophisticated points for each bullet?

Yes , you can add a few extra bulletpoints just in case
Original post by StressedByDay
Yes , you can add a few extra bulletpoints just in case

Phew, I wouldn't want to lose a mark over a silly interpretation. Thanks!

Any tips for Q2? That seems to be the hardest?
Original post by Calzs34
On 3a will we only be allowed to write 15 and no more? Because what if one of my bullet points is considered wrong?

And for question A is it right I should be trying to make 5 sophisticated points for each bullet?

We have been told no more than 15 bullet points, any extra won't be taken into consideration and will be ignored by the examiner.
For question A try and write as many points as possible for each bullet!
For Q2, remember to do an overview for each paragraph! That's what gets you the higher marks, along with a literally meaning for the word/phrase you're analysing and then connotations/effect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Caroline.Wi
No more than 15 bullet points, any extra won't be taken into consideration.
For question A try and write as many points as possible for each bullet!

What if I think that more than 15 meet the criteria? Say 18. I write 18 down, however #14 is wrong. Would the others just not be marked? I mean it's not hard for them to read 4 lines is it?
Original post by Calzs34
What if I think that more than 15 meet the criteria? Say 18. I write 18 down, however #14 is wrong. Would the others just not be marked? I mean it's not hard for them to read 4 lines is it?

I know that's what we originally thought but our teacher is an examiner and she told us since they changed the exam for this year we can't add any extras :frown: There will be more than 15 choices but you're only allowed to write 15 down... however, you could lump two points together on a bullet if you're unsure which interpretation is correct, as long as it's not too obvious!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Caroline.Wi
I know that's what we originally thought but our teacher is an examiner and she told us since they changed the exam for this year we can't add any extras :frown: There will be more than 15 choices but you're only allowed to write 15 down... however, you could lump two points together on a bullet if you're unsure which interpretation is correct, as long as it's not too obvious!

That's a good idea actually. Thanks! I'll try that because then I sort of get 16 instead of 15 :biggrin:!
Original post by obayo003.303
How are we supposed to revise?

I don't think you really can revise much for it but what I've done is since it's quite a formulaic paper is I've just gone over exactly how to answer each question eg how much time we need to spend on it, how many points need to be made and just in general what we actually need to say. If you go on YouTube, theres some videos by Mr Bruff on Cambridge IGCSE English language and theyre quite good at explaining how to answer the questions well. Like im pretty sure like 40/50 marks is for content and only 10/50 for writing style and fluency etc so if you can nail the content then theoretically the exam should be fairly easy to score highly in
Good Luck Everyone!
Please help. For my writing i got 33/50. And for speaking I got 20/30. I'm aiming to get a B as my overall grade. Can someone please tell me how many marks I would need to get C or B as my overall grade!!
Reply 49
Don't get stressed, just do your best and don't panic.
This was the easiest 'test' I have ever done in my life. I hope all the rest are like this.
I found it quite difficult. Especially Question 1 point 3, I didn't find many future points

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did terribly!!!! Didn't have enough time to do the summary properly
Original post by StressedByDay
I did terribly!!!! Didn't have enough time to do the summary properly

I couldn't find much points on Question 3. I started with that first, so I finished all my questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do the core paper?
Would I get marks taken away for writing about 500 words for question one? and for question 2 was it 4 points from each paragraph or 2 from each? I did 4 from each but my cousin did 2. I did about 600 words for question two, I overdid it a lot, would many of my marks be taken away? For question 3 I managed to stay within the word limit.
Original post by HarunH1
Would I get marks taken away for writing about 500 words for question one? and for question 2 was it 4 points from each paragraph or 2 from each? I did 4 from each but my cousin did 2. I did about 600 words for question two, I overdid it a lot, would many of my marks be taken away? For question 3 I managed to stay within the word limit.

I think the most you can lose for question 1 are the 5 writing marks. I'm sure completely sure about question 2 but you did have to do 4 from each.

How did everyone else found it? That question 3 was a great one!
Original post by HarunH1

Well my teacher said that you can get penalised for going over the work limit. I went over question 1 by 50 words and the rest was within the limit. However, you did go over by too much, so you may lose some marks.

For question 2 you are supposed to have 8 paragraph in total, so you did it correctly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think I aced that exam. The only question I think people might have slipped up on is the first question. That 15 points question had to be the easiet 15 marks especially because you could literally copy the text. Anyone else agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average exam. Think I got an A (hopefully), A* is hard to tell. What points did all of you get for q3? I got loads for the threats and only like 6 for adaptations. Q1 was alright, except I think I waffled a tiny bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending