The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0522) 05/05/15 Everyone Ready???

Tuesday 5th may 2015
Is everyone ready for this exam.... also any tips or tricks :smile:

I got a C for my speaking and listening and a B for my coursework I have no idea how many marks.. but apparently I have to only get 18 marks for a C and 29 marks for a B.

and 40 for an A. <<< My Aim

But for some reason apparently we can't get an A* unless if all our work is at a high grade A.

That's quite suprising tbh because my best part is question 1 even though it used to be my worst. Although There is this stratergy, where you work like this:

Begin:
Question 3- 5 minutes read the question and highlight then 30 minutes answer your 15 bullet points and the 5 marks summary..
Question 1- Ready 7 minutes then answer in 40 minutes..

Then question 2- half an hour for reading the question and you get 4 words or phrases from the two chosen paragraphs they give you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sort of ready. Just hoping the passages will be easy and interesting. Good Luck!

Anyone else also taking the AQA English Language exam in June. IGCSE is much easier and the time given is much fairer than the AQA exam.
Reply 2
I got a C for my speaking and listening and a B for my coursework I have no idea how many marks.. but apparently I have to only get 18 marks for a C and 29 marks for a B.

and 40 for an A. <<< My Aim :smile:

But for some reason apparently we can't get an A* unless if all our work is at a high grade A.

That's quite suprising tbh because my best part is question 1 even though it used to be my worst. Although There is this stratergy, where you work like this:

Begin:
Question 3- 5 minutes read the question and highlight then 30 minutes answer your 15 bullet points and the 5 marks summary..

Then question 2- half an hour for reading the question and you get 4 words or phrases from the two chosen paragraphs they give you. :smile:
I hope to God they don't ask for an article, report or speech of some sort; they're the worst. Since they asked for a letter last year, hopefully we get some sort of journal entry this year for question 1:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by TheLongGame
Sort of ready. Just hoping the passages will be easy and interesting. Good Luck!

Anyone else also taking the AQA English Language exam in June. IGCSE is much easier and the time given is much fairer than the AQA exam.

Yeah I hope it's about something we can relate to. Thanks Good luck to you to.
How are we supposed to revise?
Good luck to everyone! I am taking this exam too!

Same: I hope it's not about some obscure thing we have never heard of in some Asian jungle!
When is asks for a letter, interview, article, journal do we just change our writing style or do we have to also change the format/presentation of our writing. Because whether its a journal/diary or article would we still not write it as continuous prose?
Original post by mahmoud786
Tuesday 5th may 2015
Is everyone ready for this exam.... also any tips or tricks :smile:

and 40 for an A. <<< My Aim :smile:

Begin:

Then question 2- half an hour for reading the question and you get 4 words or phrases from the two chosen paragraphs they give you. :smile:

I got an A in my Speaking and Listening and an A/B in all my coursework.

I think I'm definitely ready, got an A* in my mock so not freaking out about this one. :biggrin:
Original post by obayo003.303
How are we supposed to revise?

You can't really revise, it's comprehensive.

Only thing you can do is practice past papers.
Reply 11
Original post by londoncricket
Good luck to everyone! I am taking this exam too!

Same: I hope it's not about some obscure thing we have never heard of in some Asian jungle!

Goodluck to you to lol.
Reply 12
Original post by Naveen1412
When is asks for a letter, interview, article, journal do we just change our writing style or do we have to also change the format/presentation of our writing. Because whether its a journal/diary or article would we still not write it as continuous prose?

Both, You will have to change the format and make sure it's related to what ever they ask us to write about.

Well atleast that's what I think.
Reply 13
Original post by TheLongGame

Yep i agree! completely and yeah i'm taking the AQA exam too, i need to just get 40 on this paper and i have an A* in the bag! i'm so good at journals or short stories but creative/news articles are my worst! i hate when i don't understand the passages because it makes it harder to relate too!!! GOOD LUCK!
Reply 14
Yeah I'm really ready, I've done enough mocks that I just know exactly what to do, how to answer the questions and where I slip up and so on. I got an A for my coursework, a B in my speaking and listening which means I need 32 in the exam to get an A overall which is well in reach for me as I usually get that or more on my mocks anyways. :smile: I'd have to really push for an A* though at 43 marks in the exam. Good luck everyone!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Endian Chief
You can't really revise, it's comprehensive.

Only thing you can do is practice past papers.

*Practise

Well, you could also look at grammar considering you used the noun rather than the verb. Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mahmoud786
Both, You will have to change the format and make sure it's related to what ever they ask us to write about.

Well atleast that's what I think.

I asked my English teacher this question and he basically said the examiner is not really interested in the format/presentation but more so, the content and what you've actually written. However, they don't just give you the style for no reason so if the exam asks you write in an interview you should make sure that your work actually sounds like an interview that you'd see in a magazine which, my English teacher also told me is not always question and then answer. You can interweave the both and write it all as continuous prose with reported speech now and there.
Original post by Rizzay
I asked my English teacher this question and he basically said the examiner is not really interested in the format/presentation but more so, the content and what you've actually written. However, they don't just give you the style for no reason so if the exam asks you write in an interview you should make sure that your work actually sounds like an interview that you'd see in a magazine which, my English teacher also told me is not always question and then answer. You can interweave the both and write it all as continuous prose with reported speech now and there.

No I'm pretty sure the format is relevant , if they're asking for a news article you would need a hook , byline and headline.
Reply 18
Original post by StressedByDay
No I'm pretty sure the format is relevant , if they're asking for a news article you would need a hook , byline and headline.

In my mock I was asked to write a newspaper article and all I did was follow the instruction that said begin your work with xyz and wrote in continuous prose and still got an A*. When I looked at the mark scheme it didn't say anything about format but it does say as a general note to the examiner, "Look for an appropriate register for the genre" so for me that's more to do with language.

Also it's 15 marks for the content and then 5 for quality. It wouldn't hurt adding all those things though and it may help with quality but I don't think it would matter much if you didn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Is anyone planning to include 'semantic field' into their question two response?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending