The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To point out the stupidity of the exam, a good friend of mine wrote a letter of complaint about it in each of his AS answer papers instead of answering the questions and got a D...Which okay, isn't a fabulous result but he should have got 0%. *Rolls eyes*
Reply 2
And yet so many schools insist on forcing people to endure it.
Reply 3
Every decent uni writes their offer then excludes general studies!

I completely disagree. Both Leeds and Sheffield include GS as part of their offers; in my opinion, these are two very good universities. Oxbridge, LSE and the like may not accept GS but that does not mean it is a worthless subject! The 'guy who invented GS' probably feels pretty happy with himself, I would say - thousands of students take exams in the subject and it is the focus of much attention.
Some reputable universities do seem to hold a full A Level in General Studies as equivalent to an AS Level in a proper subject.
Reply 5
But still, it is probably the most excluded A-level and many unis lower down than oxbridge and LSE exclude it from offers.
Reply 6
Everyone who took the exam at my college all agreed to somehow incorporate the word "submarine" into their General Studies exam paper...

I just refused to study it. Or Critical Thinking. Or Key Skills.

Jo. x
If any of you were as smart as you purport, you'd realise the relevance of the GS exam...
Reply 8
Pretty Boy Floyd
If any of you were as smart as you purport, you'd realise the relevance of the GS exam...

Oh, do enlighten the group...
Nice game Dreama. I must admit, I have also played this game (but disappointingly with English GCSE cwk lol, and with stupider words!).
Reply 10
i say who cares, GS hardly needds discusion. If you dnt want to do General Studies then don't go to the lessons, as i did. Even though i did take the exams (well, i missed one of them by accident as i slept in) and still got a B :wink:.
Reply 11
:rofl: Clearly it was very taxing on your mental abilities!
Reply 12
i do wonder who invented it...........
Reply 13
Pretty Boy Floyd

Purport! Wow what a word! Sounds like some chump with a dictionary trying to sound intellectual! :biggrin:
Reply 14

Ye people who get E in maths and D in bio walk out from general studies with A.
Reply 15
jason01
Ye people who get E in maths and D in bio walk out from general studies with A.

LOL! at that
i myself do not do general studies nor does my school
what topics are covered in that Alevel
Reply 16
Loads of people who do not get good grades in real subjects, manage to obtain As and Bs in GS. Thats how it is at our school anyway.
Reply 17
General Studies technically demonstrates your ability to be well rounded at a higher level than GCSE. Well, at least it did when I sat my A-Levels althought I'll grant you mine were done under the old system.

Subject specific A-Levels show you are very good in those areas, but do not give any indication of overall performance or indeed grasp on the world around you.

Yes, General Studies is essentially an A-Level in pub quiz. No, it isn't without merit.
Neo
Purport! Wow what a word! Sounds like some chump with a dictionary trying to sound intellectual! :biggrin:

Iz it becoz i dunt talk like diz?

sori if purport seems intelektual ennit itz nt my falt ur educashun wasnt as gud as myn.

I was so glad my school didn't make us do General Studies or Key Skills. Complete waste of time when most (admittedly some do) decent unis don't even accept them. What's the point of having an A-level where someone can just walk into the exams with no lessons, no revision, no preparation whatsoever and get an A? Maybe the topics covered in General Studies/Key Skills are useful, but surely they should just be taught in enrichment lessons and not examined, like PSHE at GCSE? Otherwise it's just going to add to the whole 'exams are getting easier' claims. Most schools/colleges only offer these 'subjects' (and I use the term loosely) to improve their league table positions.

Latest