The Student Room Group

What realistic chances do i have of getting into Oxbridge for PPE?

Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation campaigning for peace human rights, justice and education around the world. For this, i have also visited Auschwitz in the past 2 months. I have gained international recognition for this work, have been nominated for the international children peace prize 2015 award. I have also been invited to 10 downing street recently by the Prime minister at a reception. A few months ago, i was also invited to address the house of lords, where i addressed all he lords. I am leading a campaign now to build a few schools and provide education to those who are unfortunate around the world. So far, i have gained letters of support from 25 MP's and many government ministers. You can view more about my work on our website: Movementforpeaceglobal.org.

As well as my work through activism, i have terrible GCSE grades, i got 2A's and 5 C's, A's only in IT and urdu. At AS, i am studying IT, Urdu, Applied science and business studies. I think that i may get BBBC or BBCC a AS level. I have had a child long dream to get into Oxbridge to study PPE as i have immense passion for that subject. Would Oxbridge take a look at my work and leadership away from my academics and consider me for PPE. What are my actual chances of getting into PPE at Oxbridge? Would it be worth me applying to Oxbridge? What are the minimum grades that i must achieve at As level or A level to make sure that i get a firm offer from Oxbridge? Thank you.
Cambridge offer Human Social and Political Science (not PPE).

Check out their websites for their entry requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by suhofficial
x

You're not going to get different answers by posting this in the Oxbridge forum instead of the Oxford forum, you know....
Reply 3
Original post by BJack
You're not going to get different answers by posting this in the Oxbridge forum instead of the Oxford forum, you know....

I want to get a bigger range of answers so that i can see more viewpoints and angles
Sorry to be blunt, but you won't get into Oxbridge with B's and C's.
10/10 for extra curricular work and that may convince them to give you a shot at interview during which you'd have to excel, but by and large to admit you they'd be turning someone down who got straight A's (most applicants are predicted straight A's or thereabouts) which I'd be surprised if they'd do.
Reply 6
Original post by dreamlover
10/10 for extra curricular work and that may convince them to give you a shot at interview during which you'd have to excel, but by and large to admit you they'd be turning someone down who got straight A's (most applicants are predicted straight A's or thereabouts) which I'd be surprised if they'd do.

What if I work hard A level subjects apart from one of them, can I retake one AS and put grade pending for that AS grade on the UCAS form for Oxford, would that work?

Also, my teachers are saying that if I work hard, I could get AAB or A*AB by the end of A level, would I have a chance then?
I don't know what you mean by 'hard' A level subjects.

Your only realistic chance would be to not disclose your AS level results, but you can only really do that if your school does not in general certificate AS levels (do they?). Or retake altogether and hope they don't notice. But in any case, if you did somehow get in, the work there is so hard that even for someone who breezed through getting A's at A level, it's still hard to keep up. The jump from A level to Oxford is extreme. And it sounds like you are not able to breeze through getting A's.

If you do apply and state your grades, it sounds illogical to retake the AS. You will essentially be saying; 'I know if I work hard I can get to AAA standard by A Level... oh and for no apparent reason I'm going to take another AS because that will somehow help me get the requisite AAA'. So no, don't do that, if it is C grade, leave it out altogether. And you'd need to get straight A's, they would not accept AAB.

Their official statement is that they won't base interview offers on grades alone, which is why I said there is the smallest of chances they will be interested enough in your ec activity to hear more, and it's therefore worth the effort to apply, but you're looking at a 5% chance. When I applied, I heard that 9/10 applicants are predicted straight A's and then only 20-30% of those get in, which means you need to be best of the best. Prob best to accept that it's not your game. Try and get into UCL or Bristol or somewhere like that, get 1st class honours and apply for a masters at Oxbridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not sure just trying to get better grades would help him. None of the subject he's taking now is Oxbridge's 'recommended subject' nor Russell Group's 'facilitating subject.'
Original post by vincrows
Not sure just trying to get better grades would help him. None of the subject he's taking now is Oxbridge's 'recommended subject' nor Russell Group's 'facilitating subject.'

Agreed. Unis like oxford tend to hate subjects with the word 'Applied' in front of them or subjects that end in 'studies'

Latest

Trending

Trending