The Student Room Group

a level maths - applied, statistics or mechanics?

Planning on doing bio, chem, which maths would be appropriate? and i want to optometry in the future.

which maths is the easiest too?

THANKS
I would say that Statistics is easier but for Optometry I don't know which one is preferred
Reply 2
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Planning on doing bio, chem, which maths would be appropriate? and i want to optometry in the future.

THANKS

If you are studying chem and bio then i recommend stats. I chose mechanics but figured out it was more linked to physics and you need stats for biology too. But some people say stats is harder than mechanics but i feel mechanics is harder as it doesn't fit in with my chem bio or psychology
Reply 3
Mostly people find Stats easier. Then there are anomalies who prefer Mechanics lol

Personally I think both have their pros and cons

Stats is more about accuracy and calculator while Mechanics is about applying the theory in the questions
And for your subjects stats would be more appropriate :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks everyone, think that if i do maths at a level, I'll do stats.
Reply 5
Original post by STUDYREVISE

THANKS

Do mechanics. Don't make the same mistake I did and take stats you will regret it. stats is pointless and boring with lots of stupid formulas. Mechanics Is more interesting and more visual/logical to think about.
Reply 6
M1 is so much easier than stats - It might just be me but M1 just makes sense when you think about all the forces applied to an object etc. Stats for me at AS was hard as it seemed to require me to realise things I hadn't even thought about - especially in probability.

I also don't do another maths type A-levels - not physics, so its not like I have experience in mechanics from elsewhere - maybe its just we have a good teacher :smile:
What modules what 'applied' maths consist of? Is it the same as Pure Maths?
Reply 8
Mechanica
Well, this gets a little confusing.

No-one thinks applied.
Its just between stats and mech
Reply 10
Do M1. Many people will say that S1 is easier than M1 but it really isn't. M1 is about knowing things and working on longer problems, and if mastered correctly, you can get 100% each time. S1 generally has easier marks to pick up but there's always a high chance of difficult questions which you're not ready for.
Stats probably goes better with biology.
Original post by asmuse123
what modules what 'applied' maths consist of? Is it the same as pure maths?

m1, m2, m3, m4, m5, s1, s2, s3, s4, d1, d2.
Reply 13
Probably statistics for you; statistics is useful in biology and chemistry. Mechanics is for physicists.
Reply 14
Original post by TARS
Do M1. Many people will say that S1 is easier than M1 but it really isn't. M1 is about knowing things and working on longer problems, and if mastered correctly, you can get 100% each time. S1 generally has easier marks to pick up but there's always a high chance of difficult questions which you're not ready for.

I actually agree with this. I did not like doing mechanics so I only did M1, but once I knew what I was doing I could get >90% (silly mistakes) on a paper without too many problems. With S1, they can easily through you a curved ball, especially involving histograms.

Did S1-4 by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest