The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Near the bottom probably. What does it matter? You'll get all sorts of people everywhere.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Why don't you visit it and find out?
It's somewhat irrelevant, since the most notoriously "rah" colleges (Castle & Hatfield) really aren't that rah anyway.
Reply 3
Aidans is probably one of the more rah hill colleges though, in my personal opinion. Nothing to back that up, just think that hill college rahiness is dominated by Collingwood and Aidans :smile:

But as Matt says - not really a big deal! To be honest I see more of a spectrum emerging in Trevs at the moment, whereby in my first year it seemed like we had a good mix of just middlish people - with slight rahs and some slight, errrr, well the other end of the spectrums!

But this years freshers have some real weirdos!! And then also some PROPER rahs who I'd love to give a good punch, but have found no acceptable reason yet to. One day..... :wink:
Wtf? I wouldn't say Aidan's is rah at all! Maybe the current second year have a coupld of rather rah people, but generally I would say that Aidan's is really one of the more laid back less rah colleges.
Reply 5
dobbs
Aidans is probably one of the more rah hill colleges though, in my personal opinion. Nothing to back that up, just think that hill college rahiness is dominated by Collingwood and Aidans :smile:

But as Matt says - not really a big deal! To be honest I see more of a spectrum emerging in Trevs at the moment, whereby in my first year it seemed like we had a good mix of just middlish people - with slight rahs and some slight, errrr, well the other end of the spectrums!

But this years freshers have some real weirdos!! And then also some PROPER rahs who I'd love to give a good punch, but have found no acceptable reason yet to. One day..... :wink:

Oooh, name some names!
Reply 6
I was always amused that only one person ever wore a buttoned shirt to dinner at Mildert in my year.
Reply 7
Well Im a fresher at aidans this year and I dont think its very rah. There are a few really wealthy people who you might call rahs but they are largely in the minority I would say and theyre really nice anyway.
Reply 8
I think that many of my opinions are based on meeting people through rowing to be honest.....and certain colleges get reputations simply through rowing events. Hild Bede and Collingwood both have awful reputations (generally because they win lots, but do some sneaky tactics now and then, my lips are sealed!)

And, I don't know, it just seems Aidans is one of the more rah boat clubs. Maybe because their boathouse is next door to Castle's :wink:

Chris - no way am I naming names online! Facebook message me if you REALLY want to know, but I'm sure you know which ones are ******s! But then, maybe a lot of it I see during mealtimes, etc. which you wouldn't see (I LOVE BEING BACK IN COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!! lol)
Reply 9
dobbs
(I LOVE BEING BACK IN COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!! lol)

I can't wait to go back in!!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Becca
I can't wait to go back in!!! :biggrin:

Oh man it's so good. I don't think anyone appreciates it as much as me, I seriously don't!!!

My landing mates (and former housemates) are like "Yeh it's good but I miss things in our Gilesgate house....like sitting around watching TV together, or making meals, or the fact that you could get up late and have breakfast still"

OK fine yeah it was amazing just being able to do an essay, then take a break and go watch Matt play on the PS2 for a while (immense fun when you're essaying!)....and some other little perks.

BUT NOTHING CAN BEAT COLLEGE. I just LOVE that everything is THERE. I love mealtimes where you see all your mates. I love the kitchen staff that you can chat to and see how they're doing. I love the cleaner you see each morning cleaning the shower and hoovering the landing and you can give her a "Mornin' Margaret!" and she'll always be like "Mornin' Kevin you alright?", it's nice!

I love being able to walk down in my slippers to the bar and get a quick vodka and lemonade, or just a coke, whilst there's a group of people there all dressed in army gear. But I get served before them because I know the side of the bar that's quickest and the person serving is my academic daughter.

I love getting bored, walking onto the landing and playing some landing volleyball with a net made of clothes-horses and a mini-football with my landing mates because they're also bored. Then off down to the Buttery to get a toastie and maybe some chocolate hobnobs for the night ahead. Oh and while I'm there I can watch one of my friends play his pool match against Grey's pool team, why not, I've got a spare 10 minutes?

I love getting to the entrance of college, crapping myself because I've forgotten to print lecture notes but just having to nip into the computer room, log on, and print them from there....rather than going all the way back to my room.

I love wandering through the Undercroft whilst Deal or No Deal is on and stopping for 5 minutes because it's a key moment in the program. Then screaming "NO DEAL!!!" at the tv before carrying on back to my room.

I love EVERYTHING about college....the shower is ALWAYS HOT and ALWAYS LOADS OF PRESSURE......my room is always warm.......I don't actually have to leave my room all day to be fair, everything is there for me (except food!)......I could stay in bed all day and no-one would know where I was, unlike when I was living out!

College is amazing. And it's why I love Durham, the primary reason. Oh my, colleges (particularly Trevs!!!) are just perfect.

:biggrin:

Oops, long post, hehe
Reply 11
:hugs:
Aww, that was such an amazing post!!!
dobbs
And, I don't know, it just seems Aidans is one of the more rah boat clubs. Maybe because their boathouse is next door to Castle's :wink:

Surely the Aidan's boathouse IS castles? I thought they shared?
Reply 13
croissantfever
Surely the Aidan's boathouse IS castles? I thought they shared?

Erm, there are two boathouses there, one with a dark red door and one with a dark green door. I'm sure the red is Castles and the green is Aidans. But I could be wrong, I just know for sure that there ARE 2 buildings there, but just right at the same spot (i.e. they use the same landing stage)
Reply 14
Aww I won't be living in Trevs til next year, I hope it's not gone too rahey by then :frown:
Aidans tis not that rah.
Reply 16
It's not at all, and as others have said you get such a mix where ever you go so don't let the whole 'rah' thing affect your choice
Ah cos I thought that the green door one was Chads. And a mate of mine who rows for Castle told me that they shared with Aidan's. And there is totally not enough boathouses on the river for everyone to have one each.
Reply 18
croissantfever
Ah cos I thought that the green door one was Chads. And a mate of mine who rows for Castle told me that they shared with Aidan's. And there is totally not enough boathouses on the river for everyone to have one each.

I just looked into it and found out - the red one is indeed Aidans AND Castle....the green one is St. Leonards (a high school). Problem solved :smile:

And I know there aren't enough for everyone to have one each, but many clubs do have their own boathouse - Collingwood, Hild Bede, Mildert, Chads, Hatfield. Trevs don't share with any other colleges but the boathouse is owned by DARC (Durham Rowing Club) - which is annoying right now because their usual building has been knocked down to build a new one, so we have very little space in ours now :frown: Poo
^ Fantastic post about the colleges! I seriously can't wait to go!! Tbh, I was feeling a little flat after my Cam rejection, but that's helped perk me right back up about Durham to the high I was on after my offer! Waaaaaay more the uni for me :smile: .

Latest

Trending

Trending