The Student Room Group

Feel depressed and demotivated at the prospect of going to a mediocre university

I dropped out of UCL a few months ago because I frankly hated my course. I don't regret my decision because I would be miserable there. I decided that English would be more suited to me and I made a late application through UCAS to try get a place for this year's entry. I've got offers from a few RG unis but the only half decent London uni that accepted late applications.

I'm desperate to move back to London (I live in Manchester) but the prospect of going to QM is quite depressing. When I used to tell people I went to UCL they were impressed but I don't think most people have even heard of QM. I mean, I do like the course at QM and although the campus and area are kind of run down I can deal with it as with so few contact hours, I wouldn't spend much time there anywhere. I guess it's just a bitter pill to swallow to go from UCL to QMUL. Although QM does have a well-reputed English department, I don't think most employers will care and so I'm worried my career prospects will be relatively poor.

I try to tell myself that all of this doesn't matter and that I'm being childish. So long as I like the course then I shouldn't really care too much about league tables. Besides, QM is a RG uni anyway. It's just hard to see all the talk on TSR about reputation and generally. It makes me tempted to accept one of my offers from a 'better' uni like Manchester or Newcastle. I really want to move back to London though.

I don't know anymore. I feel really petty for overthinking this and letting it get me down but I can't stop thinking about it. I can't sleep or eat much because all I do is think about what I should do. Can anyone offer any advice?
People base so much off of reputation and prestige but as you've experienced yourself, the reputation of a university isn't half as important as you enjoying being there and enjoying your course.
Original post by gulbenkian02
People base so much off of reputation and prestige but as you've experienced yourself, the reputation of a university isn't half as important as you enjoying being there and enjoying your course.

True
University is what you make of it, and QMUL is hardly a bad uni.

Is waiting until Clearing opens in the summer a likely option to get anything else? Otherwise, I would say just take the QMUL offer and make the best of the experience! Yes, there's the whole London Unis snobbery (I was at Goldsmiths for a Masters and RHUL now and there's always gonna be snobbery from Imperial/LSE/UCL/KCL peeps about unis like mine) but you just brush it off and laugh at people for being so petty as to care :yep:
I thought QMUL is generally seen to be pretty decent (not quite UCL standard, but not bad). And I think the course is more important than the university - if what you'll be studying will make you happy, go for it.
Mediocre university + mediocre degree + medio job = joke to the society

Mediocre university + prestige degree = respect from society

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest