The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

exchange student(civil engineering)*waves

Hi guys,i'm going to leeds as an exchange student in sept! reli excited but with some worriessss

mostly l'll be taking modulus for Year2 civil engineering student
in leeds,there's only final exams for most modulus, which is different from my home uni
this makes me a bit stressful for a such heavily weighted exams
Is it easy to get a pass(for civil engineering )?
Are the prof s nice?
I know the confirmed grades will be out in july,& i'll get a provision one on feb.So,is it common to change the grades? It's not possible for me to have re-sit exams=[

a bit long,sorry about that

BTW,I'm from Hong Kong
if u guys are interested in HK,or even coming to ,i'm more than happy to talk to u

cheers & good luck for finals
Reply 1
Hey man, I am studying Mechanical Engineering at Leeds, but I am familiar with the CivEng department.
If you have January exams, then you will get provisional marks sometime in February, which do not usually change. Resits are in August and if you fail a module with the first try, in your resit no matter how good you perform you get a 40%, but I would not worry that much. If you keep track of lectures, you will be fine. Lecturers are approachable and the modules shouldn't be to hard.

Hope this helps :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by helen_lcthk
Hi guys,i'm going to leeds as an exchange student in sept! reli excited but with some worriessss

mostly l'll be taking modulus for Year2 civil engineering student
in leeds,there's only final exams for most modulus, which is different from my home uni
this makes me a bit stressful for a such heavily weighted exams
Is it easy to get a pass(for civil engineering )?
Are the prof s nice?
I know the confirmed grades will be out in july,& i'll get a provision one on feb.So,is it common to change the grades? It's not possible for me to have re-sit exams=[

a bit long,sorry about that

BTW,I'm from Hong Kong
if u guys are interested in HK,or even coming to ,i'm more than happy to talk to u

cheers & good luck for finals

Heey! I'm an international student, starting in September too :smile:.
I am also a bit anxious about the exams, since it also differs a lot from where I come from..
Which accommodation have you chosen btw? :smile:
And how cool that you are from Hong Kong! I will be visiting HK in the summer of 2016! Very excited about that!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alexkol
Hey man, I am studying Mechanical Engineering at Leeds, but I am familiar with the CivEng department.
If you have January exams, then you will get provisional marks sometime in February, which do not usually change. Resits are in August and if you fail a module with the first try, in your resit no matter how good you perform you get a 40%, but I would not worry that much. If you keep track of lectures, you will be fine. Lecturers are approachable and the modules shouldn't be to hard.

Hope this helps :smile:

maybe i think too much about exam lol
u know,asians are simply too hardworking (umm,obviously i'm not,& i only need a pass )

1 thing makes me worry is the change of curriculum..:\
today my friend juz found this out...
is it common for leeds to make such changes every year?
Reply 4
Original post by LubnaB94
Heey! I'm an international student, starting in September too :smile:.
I am also a bit anxious about the exams, since it also differs a lot from where I come from..
Which accommodation have you chosen btw? :smile:
And how cool that you are from Hong Kong! I will be visiting HK in the summer of 2016! Very excited about that!

hello,i'm helen,
where r u from?n which dept r u in?
Im in american style uni,reli diff from british one.
we have midterm(s) n final,
but in leeds,only 1 final.life may be 2 easy so i dont study till the last second lol
neither do i know how easy/difficult the exam paper is:\

i hvn't chosen mine,thinking about henry price/cv/smaller residence.
n u?

welcome to hk!!!another exchange?or a trip?
probably i'll in hk at that time also!
Reply 5
maybe i think too much about exam lol
u know,asians are simply too hardworking (umm,obviously i'm not,& i only need a pass )

1 thing makes me worry is the change of curriculum..:\
today my friend juz found this out...
is it common for leeds to make such changes every year?

I am not sure what you mean with the "change of curriculum". If you could please be more specific, I would be able to help you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alexkol
I am not sure what you mean with the "change of curriculum". If you could please be more specific, I would be able to help you :smile:

Some modules are combined into a full year one,
But I only come for one semester
So I can't take that
This reli affect my study path
I am surprised by the sudden change
Reply 7
Some modules are combined into a full year one,
But I only come for one semester
So I can't take that
This reli affect my study path
I am surprised by the sudden change

I suppose that since your University is collaborating with Leeds, they should be aware of the modules that you will be taking here and this should not be an issue.
Obviously as you will be here just for a semester, you won't be able to take year long modules, but I am sure that there will be enough 1 semester modules for you to take. Once more, I wouldn't worry that much, you will enjoy your time here and pass all your modules, don't worry!
Reply 8
Original post by alexkol
I suppose that since your University is collaborating with Leeds, they should be aware of the modules that you will be taking here and this should not be an issue.
Obviously as you will be here just for a semester, you won't be able to take year long modules, but I am sure that there will be enough 1 semester modules for you to take. Once more, I wouldn't worry that much, you will enjoy your time here and pass all your modules, don't worry!

Haha, hopefully I can follow the study path in my university as I don't hv a option for study aboard as a four-year degree ,unlike Leeds.* finger crossed

Well, can u share a bit more for life as an engineering student in Leeds? R u busy?nerdy?

Reli thx for your reply as a warm welcome:tongue:
Reply 9
Haha, hopefully I can follow the study path in my university as I don't hv a option for study aboard as a four-year degree ,unlike Leeds.* finger crossed

Well, can u share a bit more for life as an engineering student in Leeds? R u busy?nerdy?

Reli thx for your reply as a warm welcome:tongue:

Well we have all sorts of people here. I believe that you can have a well-balanced life of studying and having fun. It is pretty nerdy if you want to do well, but if you just want to pass it wouldn't be that challenging :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by alexkol
Well we have all sorts of people here. I believe that you can have a well-balanced life of studying and having fun. It is pretty nerdy if you want to do well, but if you just want to pass it wouldn't be that challenging :wink:

haha,i only need a pass to transfer my credit back,i wanna enjoy life here~~
some say leeds is boring,any comment?(besides partiesssss)

n im planning for my budget,is it common/a must to buy textbooks?
Reply 11
hello,i'm helen,
where r u from?n which dept r u in?
Im in american style uni,reli diff from british one.
we have midterm(s) n final,
but in leeds,only 1 final.life may be 2 easy so i dont study till the last second lol
neither do i know how easy/difficult the exam paper is:\

i hvn't chosen mine,thinking about henry price/cv/smaller residence.
n u?

welcome to hk!!!another exchange?or a trip?
probably i'll in hk at that time also!

Hey Helen! Sorry for my late response, I have been very busy lately.
But I am from the Netherlands, I live in Utrecht :smile:. And I study Earth Sciences here, so I will be taking some Earth & Environment and Geography courses!

Yes I have the same problem haha. In the Netherlands most courses are divided into several assignments that you have to hand in and/or a midterm, and then the exam. You final grade is the average of all those grades.
So it will be hard for me too to start on time with preparing for the exam haha.

And about the accommodation, I have chosen for Lupton :smile:. I have heard it is very social and in a nice neighbourhood, also it's quite cheap, which is always nice :P.
I'm staying only for the first semester btw, you too?

Yes, it's a trip! I will visit HK with a friend! We will travel from Beijing to Chengdu to HK. So at the end of July or begin August, we will be in HK :smile:. I am very excited, hopefully you are there too :smile:. Maybe you can show us around, that would be cool haha! Greetings!
Reply 12
Hey Helen! Sorry for my late response, I have been very busy lately.
But I am from the Netherlands, I live in Utrecht :smile:. And I study Earth Sciences here, so I will be taking some Earth & Environment and Geography courses!

Yes I have the same problem haha. In the Netherlands most courses are divided into several assignments that you have to hand in and/or a midterm, and then the exam. You final grade is the average of all those grades.
So it will be hard for me too to start on time with preparing for the exam haha.

And about the accommodation, I have chosen for Lupton :smile:. I have heard it is very social and in a nice neighbourhood, also it's quite cheap, which is always nice :P.
I'm staying only for the first semester btw, you too?

Yes, it's a trip! I will visit HK with a friend! We will travel from Beijing to Chengdu to HK. So at the end of July or begin August, we will be in HK :smile:. I am very excited, hopefully you are there too :smile:. Maybe you can show us around, that would be cool haha! Greetings!

haha,never mind,Im in my final exam period too ;]
I have a Dutch professor too~~but i never ask him about Netherlands=[n he's leaving

my uni does the same thing!!heavier workload than in Leeds ,but force me to study
final exam after a-month-long xmas break is toooooooo harsh

I applied for a geog course about hydrological,but next year leeds gonna offer it in semester 2=[
I only come for semester 1 too

my fd applied for central village as we are a bit quiet,but the cost is the highest! roar

At that time I shd be having my internship,but i can join u on weekends:P
super cool to have sb come to my home city~~~
lemme know wt's your interest n i can guide u,cheers~
Reply 13
haha,never mind,Im in my final exam period too ;]
I have a Dutch professor too~~but i never ask him about Netherlands=[n he's leaving

my uni does the same thing!!heavier workload than in Leeds ,but force me to study
final exam after a-month-long xmas break is toooooooo harsh

I applied for a geog course about hydrological,but next year leeds gonna offer it in semester 2=[
I only come for semester 1 too

my fd applied for central village as we are a bit quiet,but the cost is the highest! roar

At that time I shd be having my internship,but i can join u on weekends:P
super cool to have sb come to my home city~~~
lemme know wt's your interest n i can guide u,cheers~

Yeah exactly, after christmas break it would be toooo hard hahah
Oh you have chosen hydrological courses too?!
I didn't know they would change it to semester 2 :/ Where did you get that?
I have chosen GEOG2315 Hydrological Processes from Geography. But so this isn't available for the first semester anymore? :frown:
If that's true, then I probably have to chose another course of Geography..

But anyway, yeah I would love it if you can guide us :smile:. We'll talk later on about that, since it is so far away haha. But I will probably see you in Leeds! :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah exactly, after christmas break it would be toooo hard hahah
Oh you have chosen hydrological courses too?!
I didn't know they would change it to semester 2 :/ Where did you get that?
I have chosen GEOG2315 Hydrological Processes from Geography. But so this isn't available for the first semester anymore? :frown:
If that's true, then I probably have to chose another course of Geography..

But anyway, yeah I would love it if you can guide us :smile:. We'll talk later on about that, since it is so far away haha. But I will probably see you in Leeds! :smile:

ya,i did apply for this one,i think we chose according to modules catalog for this academic yr
but last week my frd found the modules catalog for 2015/16 was out,
n i found it wont offer in semester 1 now=[
fyi, http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201516&M=GEOG-2315

i feel surprised that leeds doesnt even notice us,
as i have to get the approval of the modules to be taken in leeds from my home uni b4 i leave
my final exam will be held in late May,n after that profs may not check their emails so frequently
my frd emailed Leeds about changing our choices of modules but they reply we have to wait till late june
:mad:

haha,HK is reli small,u can reach almost all places within 2 hrs,so u dont have to plan too much lol
lets meet in leeds =D
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
ya,i did apply for this one,i think we chose according to modules catalog for this academic yr
but last week my frd found the modules catalog for 2015/16 was out,
n i found it wont offer in semester 1 now=[
fyi, http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201516&M=GEOG-2315

i feel surprised that leeds doesnt even notice us,
as i have to get the approval of the modules to be taken in leeds from my home uni b4 i leave
my final exam will be held in late May,n after that profs may not check their emails so frequently
my frd emailed Leeds about changing our choices of modules but they reply we have to wait till late june
:mad:

haha,HK is reli small,u can reach almost all places within 2 hrs,so u dont have to plan too much lol
lets meet in leeds =D

Ohh pfff yeah I have to look up for other courses now. I am also suprised that they didn't contact us... But now we have to wait I think.. xd.
And yesss, of course we have to meet in Leeds now haha :biggrin: Would be great!
We'll keep contact, and hopefully I will see you there :smile:.
Reply 16
Ohh pfff yeah I have to look up for other courses now. I am also suprised that they didn't contact us... But now we have to wait I think.. xd.
And yesss, of course we have to meet in Leeds now haha :biggrin: Would be great!
We'll keep contact, and hopefully I will see you there :smile:.

sorry for late reply=[
i've just finished all my exams
i hope u r going well 2

it's the end of semester,i hope my profs approve my modules in Leeds b4 they r on vacation

Quick Reply

Latest