The Student Room Group

Farage wants Dr Who off the air...!

Oh dear. Another charming plan from Nigel Farage. As part of his plan to emasculate the BBC, which he (this isn't just a UKIP thing - he shares this with many extremist right wing people in the modern Tory Party) wants to destroy, he will (if in Coalition) see to it that Dr Who is taken off the airwaves.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3066025/Farage-wants-exterminate-Doctor-Ukip-leader-fire-terrible-demand-BBC-banned-making-entertainment-shows-including-Strictly.html

He later tried to modify the gaff, claiming that he only meant shows like Strictly, even though he clearly told the interviewer first time round that he did indeed mean Dr Who.

Exterminate... exterminate.... :angry:

Scroll to see replies

why can't dr who be sold to a private network, though? is that impossible or something?
What is it with UKIPs obsession with silencing everything? They always refer themselves as libertarians yet appose gay marriage, political satire, any anti UKIP stance. They seem so deeply socially conservative.

Although thinking the BBC should be cut down does fit with the lib right stance to be fair.

I'm sort of on the fence with the BBC. It is funded via what is essentially a regressive tax though. If it is goign to be funded via a tax it should be just like everything else. I don't watch much BBC stuff. I will be pissed when I have to pay a the license fee. It isn't even like the BBC news is even that good. It's crap :/ If it funded a really pluralistic open news platform I would gladly fund it but it doesn't. So ye, I'm probbaly one of the few "lefties" that wouldn't really care to see the beeb go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
why can't dr who be sold to a private network, though? is that impossible or something?

It could be, but why should it be?
Original post by Reluire

The state is evil. Haven't you heard?
Original post by Reluire

it wouldn't cost the tax-payers so much non-mandatory money, for one.

I don't think he does, it was a misunderstanding.
(edited 8 years ago)
How much money does the BBC make by selling Dr Who and Strictly through BBC Worldwide? Money which is ploughed back into the BBC.

Economically it seems like a dumb argument, although I think his motives are more ideological.
Reply 8
Good. The show should have ended years ago, whilst it was still half decent.
Reply 9
it wouldn't cost the tax-payers so much non-mandatory money, for one.

I'm not sure but surely Doctor who makes profit due to them selling the broadcaster licenses to the US ?

If it makes a profit it's very existence makes the funding derived through the TV licence more efficient?
Doctor Who is sold and watched all over the world. Doesn't it bring in more money for the BBC than it costs?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What is it with UKIPs obsession with silencing everything? They always refer themselves as libertarians yet appose gay marriage, political satire, any anti UKIP stance. They seem so deeply socially conservative.

Although thinking the BBC should be cut down does fit with the lib right stance to be fair.

I'm sort of on the fence with the BBC. It is funded via what is essentially a regressive tax though. If it is goign to be funded via a tax it should be just like everything else. I don't watch much BBC stuff. I will be pissed when I have to pay a the license fee. It isn't even like the BBC news is even that good. It's crap :/ If it funded a really pluralistic open news platform I would gladly fund it but it doesn't. So ye, I'm probbaly one of the few "lefties" that wouldn't really care to see the beeb go.

Its not regressive tax, or a tax of any sort. The TV license is entirely optional to pay, based upon whether you use it - just like any other product.
Original post by Goods
I'm not sure but surely Doctor who makes profit due to them selling the broadcaster licenses to the US ?

If it makes a profit it's very existence makes the funding derived through the TV licence more efficient?

the TV license tax (that's basically what it is) is disgraceful - it means I have to pay the BBC if I want to watch sky, channel 4 or ITV (etc). that's so parasitic - what if I don't want to watch the BBC? why do I have to pay them?
It all comes from when Nige met Ron Paul.

Erm nope. I would gladly watch TV and sign something saying I can't watch BBC channels. If people want to watch TV they have to pay a regressive tax. Everyone pays the same no matter what their social-economic position is. Regressive tax on TV watching.

I'm not fundamentally against the concept of the BBC, just the way it is funded.
(edited 8 years ago)
Surely it would regenerate as another show?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What is it with UKIPs obsession with silencing everything?

Silence will fall when the question is asked :mad::eek:
the TV license tax (that's basically what it is) is disgraceful - it means I have to pay the BBC if I want to watch sky, channel 4 or ITV (etc). that's so parasitic - what if I don't want to watch the BBC? why do I have to pay them?

I agree with you to be honest.

I broken clock tells time correctly twice a day :tongue:
Oh just **** off, Farage. That really is the last straw. Someone please summon 'The Teller' and turn his microscopic brain into an egg cup-sized soup portion to feed to my pet zombie who has flu.
Original post by ifyouseelaura
Doctor Who is sold and watched all over the world. Doesn't it bring in more money for the BBC than it costs?

I believe the Beeb are a bit cagey about how much each individual show makes, but it's generally said that Dr Who is one of their most profitable shows, along with the late lamented (possibly!) Top Gear. It's hard to believe Dr Who doesn't make a healthy profit.

What's really disrupting the license fee as an accepted model is the rise of subscription services like Netflix. It is getting harder to justify a state imposed fee, especially on the watching of 'live' TV, as that concept is becoming more and more notional.

There probably are large numbers of people who would pay for a BBC subscription service, but nothing like the revenue they get at the moment. They would have to do a lot less. The independence of BBC news is a vital defence against media oligarchs who would achieve total control of politics in this country without the BBC and one or two other independent sources.

Latest

Trending

Trending