The Student Room Group

Kyokushin

So I'm developing my own martial arts cocktail.

My background is in Jujitsu (both JJ & BJJ) and boxing. I've been doing Muay Thai since March.

I Like Jujitsu's standing arm locks and chokes, its judo throws and ground wrestling. I like boxings classic bob n weave n knock out punches and I'm hoping to really get 6 of the other 8 limbs in with Muay Thai. I noticed despite the martial arts i've been trained in when I've had normal fights in the real world I've tended to use elbows n knees quite a bit.

a thing I don't really like about muay thai is how vulnerable you are to being taken off balance with the overly extended knees and round kicks that have so much invested behind them.

ideally I'd like to learn some savate kicks instead of muay kicks. but theres nowhere in town that does savate. despite one kick boxing dude who claimed he had savate experience but clearly couldn't remember much of it.

but im interested in kyokushin and what kyokushin could add to what im already doing.

what i know about karate in general is that its most famous for its different array of strike styles like the knife hand, palm strike, spear hand and nakadaka ken (middle knuckle punch) I like karates snapping kicks that in a real life fight can come out of nowhere.

I like kyokushins original training ethos, the idea behind kumites, fighting bulls, killing trees by punching them etc... I like the whole thing about the more guys you fight in a kumite the the harder n bigger they are. I guess I know in the real world the world doesn't go easier on you just cause you've made it through something difficult. n I like how kyokushins original training prepares you for that.

bad things i've noticed about karate are their blocks suck in the real world. i don't think i've ever seen a karate block successfully used in a fight.

So my question to guys practicing kyokushin is,
is the original training and ethos brought to modern classes?

how useful have you found those alternative to closed fist strikes?

how useful have you found the striking of certain targets?

what are or were your favourite things about kyokushin?

A few people have told me kyokushin is so similar to muay thai that I shouldn't even bother but none of those people do kyokushin

if you practice it I'd like to hear your thoughts
Where are you based?

I agree it's a good idea to widen your range of strikes/hand weapons.*Also hard training is key - but it depends on the teacher not the style

If you want martial arts that increase techniques and also have proper blocks/body mechanics and hard training then I'd opt for southern chinese arts. Pak Mei or Southern Mantis for instance. If this sounds counter intuitive I can explain in greater detail.

Quick Reply

Latest