The Student Room Group

Actual vs teacher grade boundaries

Hi!
So in a mock I did recently I achieved 69% in history and my teacher gave me a C borderline B. This is because they work on 80% being an A 70% being a B and 60% being a C etc.
However after looking at the actual grade boundaries 69% was an A!!!!
Does anyone have any idea as to why they would do this???
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) because it's easier for them
2) because it motivates you to work harder
Grade boundaries change every year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me. My teachers mark essays so harshly even though I've covered all the points thoroughly and precisely. Even my tutor once said my essays should be graded higher.

I just hope examiners are nice and meanies like my teachers are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I heard this year our papers will be graded more strictly than the previous years? Thats what my teachers say! :frown:
Aren't the examiners supposed to mark our papers more strictly this year unlike the other years? That's what they say in our school -_-
What exam board are you on because I'm on the Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I am on Cambridge. IGCSE. Man it seems hard! =(
Reply 8
Original post by hukdealz
1) because it's easier for them
2) because it motivates you to work harder

But it gives us an unrealistic view of what we're working at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Berninger1864
What exam board are you on because I'm on the Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was Ocr AS history

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think we have to get 90% to get a A* this year... But the teachers always mark in 10%s so like 80%=A etc.. But I think they are really much lower
Reply 11
My teachers do this also but what they do is shift all the grade boundaries up so in sociology for example 70 is an A* but they made it an A so no one could get an A* even if you got full marks.. Apparently if you do get A* you'll stop working because you think you'll get it in the real exam..
Original post by frances98

Posted from TSR Mobile

but is that a bad thing?

all teachers do it, and they're only doing it for your benefit.

If you got an A* in a GCSE mock, which can easily be done with very little revision, you might be inclined to do very little extra work on that subject. Then there's a high chance you might go onto get an A or even lower in the exam.

Really, you should be getting much higher in a GCSE mock. 69% is a very low percentage, even if it is an A*, so you've clearly got a lot of work to be doing...
Maybe the grade boundaries for the one you looked at were wrong ?
Reply 14
Original post by Littleonezz
Maybe the grade boundaries for the one you looked at were wrong ?

No it was the Jan 2012 ocr paper about attitudes towards the french monarchy which meant 69/100 = A
Reply 15
Original post by hukdealz
but is that a bad thing?

all teachers do it, and they're only doing it for your benefit.

If you got an A* in a GCSE mock, which can easily be done with very little revision, you might be inclined to do very little extra work on that subject. Then there's a high chance you might go onto get an A or even lower in the exam.

Really, you should be getting much higher in a GCSE mock. 69% is a very low percentage, even if it is an A*, so you've clearly got a lot of work to be doing...

It was an AS level mock not GCSE.
Original post by frances98

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the same time though, you will push beyond what is needed for that grade. So in the exam you will probably do better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending