The Student Room Group

Top 5 Most Useless Degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Lol, I'm not at Cambridge but I do know the user.

Oh ok
Penis Studies
Robin Hood Studies
Beyonce Studies
Jedi Studies
David Beckham studies
Original post by The Polymath

LOL Love it!
Original post by Daniel9998
Roadology/trapology in peckham with a year in industry

that year in industry though
Original post by Roving Fish
Hey

I can't draw for **** and I just landed a job having studied graphic design. This arts subject specifically reached many employable skills such as communication, client interaction, project management.

Don't be ignorant. Xxxxxx

I said illustrator not graphic design, please learn reading comprehension.
Original post by SophisticatedSir
I said illustrator not graphic design, please learn reading comprehension.

Here's my receipt, beautiful:

Any art degree.Illustration, Graphic Design and Animation are especially useless.
I think its sometimes where as well as what. Even David Beckham studies would look good if coming from Oxbridge but eg. medicine from a uni with a high fail rate and that no one has ever heard of isn't going to get you very far in life.
Here's my receipt, beautiful:

Fair enough, my apologies its been a while since I read my comments but allow me to retort.

You could learn graphic design on your own. You don't need to plunge yourself in debt for 50k for it.

Any job you got from it wasn't because of your degree but the work you put in yourself. Nobody in creative fields cares if you have a degree, they care if you have good work. Unless you got a job not in the creative sector in which case its redudant for me to make this point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samonia
I think its sometimes where as well as what. Even David Beckham studies would look good if coming from Oxbridge but eg. medicine from a uni with a high fail rate and that no one has ever heard of isn't going to get you very far in life.

medicine has a 100% employment rate whether you go to Oxbridge or Plymouth or any other uni
Original post by jelly1000
medicine has a 100% employment rate whether you go to Oxbridge or Plymouth or any other uni

Medicine doesn't have a 100% employment rate although it is high its about 92% (The Telegraph) But still, an employer is much more likely to take a student from an Oxbridge than a UCLAN etc. Even for things such as Law which, overall has an employment rate of approx. 88.6% (The Telegraph) The employment rate for certain universes changes drastically E.G. Cambridge= 91% employment rate compared to West of Scotland and Canterbury Christ church which are at 34% employment rate. (Both from the Guardian league tables)

This shows that the university makes a difference to your likelihood of getting a job.
Original post by Samonia
Medicine doesn't have a 100% employment rate although it is high its about 92% (The Telegraph) But still, an employer is much more likely to take a student from an Oxbridge than a UCLAN etc. Even for things such as Law which, overall has an employment rate of approx. 88.6% (The Telegraph) The employment rate for certain universes changes drastically E.G. Cambridge= 91% employment rate compared to West of Scotland and Canterbury Christ church which are at 34% employment rate. (Both from the Guardian league tables)

This shows that the university makes a difference to your likelihood of getting a job.

Go and ask the guys in the Medicine forum and you'll find that for Medicine it really doesn't matter what uni you go to. Law is a totally different kettle of fish.
Japan Studies
Reply 272
Instead of asking people on TSR, just go down to your local fast food outlets and ask the people working there what degrees they have.
Gender Management
Original post by Maker
Instead of asking people on TSR, just go down to your local fast food outlets and ask the people working there what degrees they have.

Is a degree in 'border force avoidance' an acceptable thing to suggest on TSR?
Fair enough, my apologies its been a while since I read my comments but allow me to retort.

You could learn graphic design on your own. You don't need to plunge yourself in debt for 50k for it.

Any job you got from it wasn't because of your degree but the work you put in yourself. Nobody in creative fields cares if you have a degree, they care if you have good work. Unless you got a job not in the creative sector in which case its redudant for me to make this point.

I do agree that you can learn the technical skills yourself, but degrees are an incubator for portfolio and skill development. For creative studies, they allow you to underpin your knowledge as well as give you open access to a lot of equipment that you'd otherwise be paying a lot of money to have.

I think that work experience and any jobs that you've had put you above the rest of your comrades when you graduate. Whenever I'm asked to talk about uni to potential applicants, I say that a degree is not enough anymore. You have to do as much as you can volunteering-wise or work-wise while you're doing your degree which will give you a lot to talk about at interviews. :smile:
Gender Studies.
Original post by the bear
Portable Food Technology... it is a sandwich course

How did this manage not to garner one rep?

:toofunny:
I do agree that you can learn the technical skills yourself, but degrees are an incubator for portfolio and skill development. For creative studies, they allow you to underpin your knowledge as well as give you open access to a lot of equipment that you'd otherwise be paying a lot of money to have.

I think that work experience and any jobs that you've had put you above the rest of your comrades when you graduate. Whenever I'm asked to talk about uni to potential applicants, I say that a degree is not enough anymore. You have to do as much as you can volunteering-wise or work-wise while you're doing your degree which will give you a lot to talk about at interviews. :smile:

Fair enough. I am just rather critical of UK institutes for art related courses because most lectures are rather useless at giving the vital information to foster such talent.
Fair enough. I am just rather critical of UK institutes for art related courses because most lectures are rather useless at giving the vital information to foster such talent.

Yes, some are utterly useless, but I think that a lot of courses are a good starting block. During my job search I came across an awful lot of jobs requiring a degree in arts/graphics/communications. So not useless, but what you make of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending