The Student Room Group

OU and SFE-Incorrect paperwork issues between them made me lose a years' study!

Hi All,

I'm probably writing this more out of frustration than actually seeking answers but I also wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else?
:mad:

I had finished a two part first year at the OU and after not being eligible for anymore full time funding I had to quickly scramble around and go back to the OU. They were very helpful initially and said that the funding was only a matter of calling.

After some weeks of being in the second year, I received letter/s saying "yes you're funded" then others that said "no you're not".

I spoke to SFE who said that I had used all my funding?! but how on earth is that possible if I've only just finished the first year. Do they not want me to finish the final years and just walk around with a HNC (which does nothing btw and most employers don't understand it).

So I phoned The OU who cancelled my module and graciously said they would not charge me. After several months of Lost-in-limbo-no-study-where's my life-going-hell , I called the OU and SFE to ask them to explain as by then I was lost and just wanted to finish not have yet another set back.
SFE said "yes we sent them the paperwork but they never got back to us", I was fuming and quickly called the OU to give them what for but all they did was mildly apologise and give advice for this years funding.

So this year I have sent in my funding early with the hopes that I can re-start the second year of my English Language and literature degree.
I feel almost cheated in a way as I would have been in 3rd year but maybe it was a blessing as I had not done the pre-reading a lot of justice and was heading for a 2:2.

*My grammar will improve it;s something I'm working on.

So if you have a similar experience with SFE or the OU please use this post as your sounding board....

Best Wishes,

When will I ever graduate.
Original post by SophiaBA2015
Hi All,

I'm probably writing this more out of frustration than actually seeking answers but I also wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else?
:mad:

I had finished a two part first year at the OU and after not being eligible for anymore full time funding I had to quickly scramble around and go back to the OU. They were very helpful initially and said that the funding was only a matter of calling.

After some weeks of being in the second year, I received letter/s saying "yes you're funded" then others that said "no you're not".

I spoke to SFE who said that I had used all my funding?! but how on earth is that possible if I've only just finished the first year. Do they not want me to finish the final years and just walk around with a HNC (which does nothing btw and most employers don't understand it).

So I phoned The OU who cancelled my module and graciously said they would not charge me. After several months of Lost-in-limbo-no-study-where's my life-going-hell , I called the OU and SFE to ask them to explain as by then I was lost and just wanted to finish not have yet another set back.
SFE said "yes we sent them the paperwork but they never got back to us", I was fuming and quickly called the OU to give them what for but all they did was mildly apologise and give advice for this years funding.

So this year I have sent in my funding early with the hopes that I can re-start the second year of my English Language and literature degree.
I feel almost cheated in a way as I would have been in 3rd year but maybe it was a blessing as I had not done the pre-reading a lot of justice and was heading for a 2:2.

*My grammar will improve it;s something I'm working on.

So if you have a similar experience with SFE or the OU please use this post as your sounding board....

Best Wishes,

When will I ever graduate.

Try 4 and add another government department who wouldn't re-send my P60 which they lost on time for OU funding. OU said they'd extended the deadline (I'd been waiting over 2 months with many phone calls etc for the P60) but when it all finally arrived and I sent it off I was informed it was too late to apply because that guy I spoke with at the OU hadn't extended the deadline. The OU said there was no record of my call, so obviously I imagined it right??

Decided to go to a 'real' uni, had to drop out due to illness. Given full assurances by SFE I would be funded again. Have now spent 2 years in a cr***y local college getting A-levels to get into a better uni and I've been told by SFE I only have 1 year's funding left due to the 2 part time at the OU and the 1 at uni.

Add to that the fact I've been too ill to leave the house for a large part of the time between 2006-2010\11 makes about 9 in all.

Yes I'm just ranting, but I feel your pain. Though one year won't do you any harm, but I do understand that it puts off jobs and finance plans etc for a while longer. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending