The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MohammadAliKamal
There's a fine line between free speech and hate speech. Now I am by no means defending these two idiots, I couldn't care less about their deaths. But this contest was clearly designed to offend, I don't see any draw Jesus competitions. They want to provoke a reaction, and well they got what they wanted, you can't say they weren't expecting it. Again I condone what these two 'people' tried to do, but the people partaking in this competition can f-off.

That's because if people did a draw Jesus day, no-one would give a ****.

If you're offended by a drawing then you're pathetic and that's your problem. I'm offended that Muslims hold a man who raped a 9 year old girl in such high esteem, but you don't see me going to a mosque and trying to kill lots of people.

The apparent desire in this thread to condemn those partaking in the event rather than those who attempted to murder them is frankly despicable.
Original post by childofthesun
They must feel so brave

Arguably yes they were. They did something that islamic extremists have in several occasions attacked people over. Given that one such attack happened so recently aggression was something that would be possible. So they did something facing the possibility of violence and death. Which is brave. I find it odd that instead of making any comment on the attack you seem to ridicule and critisise those that attended the event (ironically ridicule and critisism is all the event was trying to do)

so rebellious, having 'draw the Prophet Muhammed' contests. Only I don't really know how a winner would be picked, as no-one knows what the Prophet(pbuh) looked like?

Not rebellious as it is there legal right, though it would get arguably rebellious if they faced societal pressure not to.

It seems your more annoyed that some people tried to draw muhammad than you are some extrmists tried to kill them for doing so.

The funny thing about this attack is that it will simply cause more people to draw muhammad. Though that may be what they are after seeking to use it to help recruit more people maybe.
But this contest was clearly designed to offend, I don't see any draw Jesus competitions. They want to provoke a reaction, and well they got what they wanted, you can't say they weren't expecting it.

No one really gets killed for drawing Jesus though. Heck, no one really gets killed for mocking any other religious ideology/figure.
Original post by Zargabaath
Religion doesn't deserve respect, especially Islam. They're ideologies that people take way too seriously. It doesn't matter if Muslims are offended or not, they weren't harassed by the Texans.

The people had their own event that was clearly labelled, it's not like they were misleading anyone. All Muslims had to do, was to not turn up and get on with their lives, which most did.

The fact that you probably don't see the irony behind this comment makes me laugh.

glad you laughed but do i care?

all they had to do was not do a stupid contest. Anyone who participates in a contest like this and gets shot will get no sympathy for me and quite frankly, i'll be laughing
Well that just shows they're not doing it for free speech, they couldn't give a damn about that. They want to provoke a reaction, they want to offend people, cause anger and outrage that's it. There was an attack, that was their aim. The organizers would probably think, deep inside, that it was a failure if there was not some sort of threat.

There are plenty of cartoons and jokes about Jesus, just look in Private Eye for example. They don't make the news as Christians don't subsequently storm the offices and shoot everyone.
Well that just shows they're not doing it for free speech, they couldn't give a damn about that. They want to provoke a reaction, they want to offend people, cause anger and outrage that's it. There was an attack, that was their aim. The organizers would probably think, deep inside, that it was a failure if there was not some sort of threat.

They haven't done a 'Draw Jesus' because Christians are able to control themselves and not murder the artist in an attempt to use fear and violence to deter free speech.They are not opposing free speech. That's why it was the prophet Mo being drawn, a demonstration to prove that threats and violence will not win against free speech.

Or... they want to stand up to the fascists who think they can impose Sharia all over the world? They want to show that violence will never stop free expression?
Original post by ben1232
Free speech? Would it be acceptable to depict a black man as a monkey? Or a jew as a greedy person? Double standards.

No, because those are attacking inherent attributes of individuals. (Although in the US those would be tolerated more so than in the UK). You can't change your ethnicity (yes, Jews are an ethnic group).
The whole contest was ridiculously foolish. I don't understand the American ideology at times. Why would someone join an 'event' drawing something which they know is offensive and absurd?
I see it as a revenge move which is exceptionally childish
Original post by childofthesun
They must feel so brave, so rebellious, having 'draw the Prophet Muhammed' contests. Only I don't really know how a winner would be picked, as no-one knows what the Prophet(pbuh) looked like?

i dont understand why they get so much pleasure out of it

its a bit sad really, and quite offensive to the innocent people that have died due to terrorist attacks that they didnt provoke (9/11 etc)
Original post by quentinhamilton
The whole contest was ridiculously foolish. I don't understand the American ideology at times. Why would someone join an 'event' drawing something which they know is offensive and absurd?
I see it as a revenge move which is exceptionally childish

agreed (would rep but im out)
Reply 51
Original post by ben1232
Free speech? Would it be acceptable to depict a black man as a monkey? Or a jew as a greedy person? Double standards.

Would black people or Jew start shooting people, if such depictions were done? Probably not.

Two wrongs does not a make a right.
Original post by tengentoppa
That's because if people did a draw Jesus day, no-one would give a ****.

If you're offended by a drawing then you're pathetic and that's your problem. I'm offended that Muslims hold a man who raped a 9 year old girl in such high esteem, but you don't see me going to a mosque and trying to kill lots of people.

The apparent desire in this thread to condemn those partaking in the event rather than those who attempted to murder them is frankly despicable.

Firstly I do as mentioned earlier condoned the two people who attempted murder. Secondly raped a 9-year old? Firstly rape is a strong word which shouldn't be thrown in anyway like you just did. And how can you compare the culture from 100's of years ago to nowadays? Remind me how old Mary was when she married the 90 year old Joseph? In ancient Jewish culture, the ages for marriage was the onset of puberty, or the ages of 12 or 13 (in females). And where did you get that from? Why would you bring you shooting a mosque in the first point? I don't see the relevance of that point?
Reply 53
Well that was predictable :tongue:
Original post by h3isenberg
Or... they want to stand up to the fascists who think they can impose Sharia all over the world? They want to show that violence will never stop free expression?

If that's their true intentions, this competition is one of the stupidest ways to carry that out. Surely debates and intellectual arguments would be more constructive than offending these fascists? They must feel like real pioneers of freedom of expression eh?

The important question is: so what?

Original post by ben1232

Not really. Those could be classed as hate speech because they disparage people based on a protected characteristic. A drawing of a Muslim person with a towel around his head and bombs strapped to him would probably be classed as hate speech in the same way. Drawing a picture of Mohammed doesn't fall within the same category, though,
If that's their true intentions, this competition is one of the stupidest ways to carry that out. Surely debates and intellectual arguments would be more constructive than offending these fascists? They must feel like real pioneers of freedom of expression eh?

Sometimes people need to be offended.

One of those times is when they seem to believe they have the right to impose de facto blasphemy laws on everyone else, so that they never have to be 'offended', the poor dears.
Reply 57
There's a fine line between free speech and hate speech. Now I am by no means defending these two idiots, I couldn't care less about their deaths. But this contest was clearly designed to offend, I don't see any draw Jesus competitions. They want to provoke a reaction, and well they got what they wanted, you can't say they weren't expecting it. Again I condone what these two 'people' tried to do, but the people partaking in this competition can f-off.

Nobody gives a **** about drawing Jesus, but if it's important to you, you can organise your competition. I have no objection.
Original post by the bear
fair play to the Texans. they are overwhelmingly Christian and proud of it. also they are brought up to shoot straight. guess the perps made a bad call.

It was the police that shot them though. At the end of the day the police are the people best able to take down criminals.
Reply 59
Original post by HAnwar
What a disgusting contest.
May Allah curse all those involved in it.

OMG, they're terrified.

Latest

Trending

Trending