The Student Room Group

I need to know what resources are available for basic maths, need advice ASAP!

Hi guys,

I want to know which are the best resources online, or which books I could buy via amazon that are useful in improving basic maths, then going onto intermediate level. I haven't studied maths for years and I am really, really rusty, so I want to start off with learning basic/intermediate maths again, then go from there.

I am not the most knowledgeable in maths, so I really want to improve this area a lot as I am looking into studying a maths GCSE this coming September, so I need to start keeping myself knowledgeable until then as I find my mind can become a sieve when it comes to maths.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Nature_Junkie.
BBC bite size has some good videos and games for maths. I'm hoping to do access in Sep and travel to Worcester college where they offer lvl 1 and 2 functional skills free. I know Uni wants gsce (I had a D in maths in 2003) but I was so out of practice I have started from the ground up. Just got 100% at level 1 maths. Also try studymaths.co.uk and on Amazon search Richard Parsons who do a load of different level books. Good luck it's hard to get back into but I have found it so rewarding.
(edited 8 years ago)
There is a really good website called Khan Academy. It starts from the basics and works up.
Depending on what exam board you might be with, there are some pretty decent books! The CGP ones are alright and it's always good to have some sort of work book to try and practice the maths, since learning the methods is unlikely to work. But I think the Internet is your best best. BBC bite size is great for the basics and if you have Maths watch or Mymaths they are pretty good aswell!

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a look at examsolutions.net as well as BBC bitesize. GCSE textbooks start with the basics and work up, so you don't need to buy a primer first. Just make sure you get a proper exam board-approved textbook, not a revision guide, which are much more sketchy.
You could get yourself the MathsWatch DVD. It covers every single part of both foundation and higher GCSE via short clips.
Reply 6
Hegartymaths.com is absolutley great, the best resource for GCSE maths i've come across. And its free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest