The Student Room Group

Hague indicates Tories might raise tuition fees if re-elected

Scroll to see replies

Do I value the chance that my irritating kid brother might actually get into more debt than me :biggrin: over my lefty values.

er no. :colondollar:
Here come the tuition fee raises

The Tories could raise student tuition fees again past £9,000 a year, William Hague indicates

The Conservatives could raise tuition fees again past £9,000 a year if they return to government after the election, William Hague has indicated.

The former Tory leader, who is stepping down as an MP at this election, said the party “haven’t ruled out” a further increase.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/the-tories-could-raise-student-tuition-fees-again-past-9000-a-year-william-hague-indicates-10223328.html

(edited 8 years ago)
I sincerely hope this is just a rumour.

[h="1"]Cable warns that Tories could raise tuition fees 'significantly'[/h]
The business secretary also said that calls from the universities of Oxford and Cambridge to raise fees to around £15,000 are something the next government “will have to face”.
Ranging widely across higher education topics during his appearance at a fringe meeting at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow today, Mr Cable said that there were three universities “on the brink of bankruptcy” when the coalition came to power in 2010 and that some UK higher education institutions are “pretty poor”.
Asked about concerns over the rising estimates of the amount of money the government must write off on the new student loans system, he replied: “I don’t worry about it, because in a sense these losses crystallise in 30 to 40 years’ time when I’ll be well over 100.”
Mr Cable started his appearance at the fringe meeting, co-hosted by the Social Market Foundation thinktank and Sutton Trust, by looking back to 2010 and the budget situation in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
He said that things would have been worse for universities if, rather than raising fees, the coalition had “just applied cuts across the board, which my predecessor had already penned in. I’ve got a piece of paper from Peter Mandelson’s team indicating that BIS was going to take 25 per cent cuts. If you’d just taken the status quo and cut 25 per cent off the teaching grant and another 25 per cent off student finance…that’s the world you could be living in now.”
Mr Cable continued that “when David Willetts [the former universities and science minister] and I came in we had three universities on the brink of bankruptcy and a sector that was clearly not sustainable in its then form”.
The Browne review was “recommending fees of up to £15,000” at the time the coalition came to power, he added.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/cable-warns-that-tories-could-raise-tuition-fees-significantly/2016231.article

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
I sincerely hope this is just a rumour.

Source?
Original post by hellodave5
Source?

[h="1"]The Tories could raise student tuition fees again past £9,000 a year, William Hague indicates[/h]The Conservatives could raise tuition fees again past £9,000 a year if they return to government after the election, William Hague has indicated.

The former Tory leader, who is stepping down as an MP at this election, said the party “haven’t ruled out” a further increase.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/the-tories-could-raise-student-tuition-fees-again-past-9000-a-year-william-hague-indicates-10223328.html

Oh God No!!!

Please don't say that.

If this is really true, I'm going to protest like hell.

This country needs a f*****g revolution.

I still can't believe that the people have voted the conservatives into a majority. HOW ****ING STUPID!!
Original post by Xin Xang
Oh God No!!!

Please don't say that.

I still can't believe that the people have voted the conservatives into a majority. HOW ****ING STUPID!!

We students may suffer dearly for todays result.

[h="1"]The Tories could raise student tuition fees again past £9,000 a year, William Hague indicates[/h]The Conservatives could raise tuition fees again past £9,000 a year if they return to government after the election, William Hague has indicated.

Oh God No!!!

Please don't say that.

You need to spread what they may be planning to do , we need to wisen up ASAP and plan our counter.
Original post by Tawheed
You need to spread what they may be planning to do , we need to wisen up ASAP and plan our counter.

But THE PEOPLE have voted. Who would we be protesting for? Ourselves?

Won't be very effective tbh, especially when the country is completed retarded..:rolleyes:
But THE PEOPLE have voted. Who would we be protesting for? Ourselves?

Won't be very effective tbh, especially when the country is completed retarded..:rolleyes:

The people voted for many reasons, maybe they were frightened of a labour-snp coalition, maybe the rich people Milliband bravely but foolishly went after - who also happen to own a lot of the media utilize this against him, and maybe he simply was not up to the job.

Either way, we humans have been sheeps for the whole of history and so long as we collectively stay sheeps, let us be herded into the slaughter house of ignorance.

I'm in UNI currently, but all i have to say is i truly feel sorry for those not yet in UNI or a 1-2 years away from it - you're going to potentially face very high tuition fee's and even more debt.
"Haven't ruled out"

Hahaha. They also "haven't ruled out" invading France.

Unless you have proof that they were asked "will you raise tuition fees?", and then they answered with "We haven't ruled that out", then this post is complete bilge.

Quit the scaremongering garbage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EatAndRevise
"Haven't ruled out"

I genuinely do not get the comparison. The tories previously wanted to raise the tuition fee's to 12,000 but the libdems helped negotiate it to 9000 if reports are true. Additionally, there's a massive difference between a policy they already considered and as trivial as raising tuition fee's and cutting education and welfare -part of their philosophy, and invading a country and starting world war three.

It's not scaremongering at all.
"Haven't ruled out"

Unless you have proof that they were asked "will you raise tuition fees?", and then they answered with "We haven't ruled that out", then this post is complete bilge.

*hears FAMAS's firing and pastries being thrown in the distance*
Original post by Tawheed
I genuinely do not get the comparison. The tories previously wanted to raise the tuition fee's to 12,000 but the libdems helped negotiate it to 9000 if reports are true. Additionally, there's a massive difference between a policy they already considered and as trivial as raising tuition fee's and cutting education and welfare -part of their philosophy, and invading a country and starting world war three.

They haven't ruled out doing an abundance of things, this was just an attempt to sway indecisive voters at the last minute. Rumours and speculations are no way to justify anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Haven't ruled out"

Do you honestly believe that they WON'T raise tuition fees?

Come on, don't be so naive.
Original post by Tawheed

That would price so many people out.
Think it would be too extreme, and get too much of a bad reaction from people.
Reply 56
Oh God No!!!

Please don't say that.

>being this butthurt
They haven't ruled out doing an abundance of things, this was just an attempt to sway undecisive voters at the last minute. Rumours and speculations are no way to justify anything.

It was an admission by William Hauge himself. Additionally, again, there's a big difference with invading france and causing world war three, and raising tuition fee's even more - which was already what they had planned to do, wanted to do but were held last time by nick-clegg, and make education and welfare cuts - what they have always done.

I hope i'm wrong, but it's looking pretty likely.

I'm not scaremongering anyone. I want people to be prepared to launch a viscious political back-lash if they even intend to go through with this. Let the people be informed and decide whether or not to be worried or not.
Maybe this will stop people going to University to study stupid degrees like Art.
Original post by demx9
>being this butthurt

What "butthurt", this is my future I'm talking about. I don't want to burdened by debt and I can't think of anyone that does.

I take it an increase in tuition will not affect you.:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending