The Student Room Group

Summer Internships...

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do a summer internship this summer, but I'm having difficulty locating a suitable one. I've spent about 2 hours googling, but not having any particular joy.

I don't want anything banking or finance related. Ideally I'd like something like a newspaper or a publishing house.

OUP say you have to be in your final year, which I'm not, and Random House it's unpaid and in London so that's not practical.

I can't seem to find any information from the big newspapers as to whether they offer them or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Newspapers do do internships, but usually for contacts. All the people I know who did internships there got them through having/making contacts at them and doing it that way. They'd also won national journalism awards and/or been editors of one of our newspapers (which are sillily competitive and hard work). I'm guessing that's how they got the contacts. I don't think there are any set internship programmes with them.

Fleece
OUP say you have to be in your final year, which I'm not, and Random House it's unpaid and in London so that's not practical.
Sadly, that's what most of them will be in publishing, as they tend to be far less money-orientated places and people seem to go there regardless. They don't need to pay :frown:

Good luck, though I have to say I'd be cautious about expecting one, it's both scarily competitive and it seems doesn't make use of internships.
Reply 2
Drogue
Newspapers do do internships, but usually for contacts. All the people I know who did internships there got them through having/making contacts at them and doing it that way. They'd also won national journalism awards and/or been editors of one of our newspapers (which are sillily competitive and hard work). I'm guessing that's how they got the contacts. I don't think there are any set internship programmes with them.

Sadly, that's what most of them will be in publishing, as they tend to be far less money-orientated places and people seem to go there regardless. They don't need to pay :frown:

Good luck, though I have to say I'd be cautious about expecting one, it's both scarily competitive and it seems doesn't make use of internships.

Thanks for that :smile:

Yeah, it seems a bit of a lost cause.

Any ideas as to anything else I could do an internship in? I mean, the publishing house/newspaper thing would have been great, and interests me a lot, but I'm open to suggestion about other things.

Long as it's not banking related.
You should try to get work at your university newspaper next term. Any experience will help you because any major newspapers/publishing houses are very tough to get internships at.

For the summer you should aim for a local newspaper and offer to work unpaid. I have a friend that got into a journalism masters at a top university solely on her work at a tiny paper. Most people in that industry start from the bottom, and as a first year that's your best bet.
Reply 4
Cheers. I'm not a first year but ta :smile:

Not a bad idea actually. I know someone who works at the local paper so I'll see if he can get me in on the action.
Reply 5
I'd quite like some information about this too if anyone else can help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending