The Student Room Group

resources to help decide what to do after a levels?

Hi, I'm looking for online resources to give me some good advice/guidance as to what to do after a levels. I'm currently in my second year of as levels (resitting with chem, bio, maths (changed from history) and art (changed from English lit)). Its getting to that time of year when school is really trying to get us to think about the future. I went through all of this last year and one of the reasons I chose to redo a year instead of resit my exams was it would buy me more time to think and decide. I still don't know and our careers advisor isn't all that helpful about deciding what to do (I mean there is a limit, she can't tell me what I want to do, I have to work that out for myself). Currently (not just currently but for 80% of this academic year) I'm unhappy with what I'm doing. I really struggle with maths, I'm good at the two sciences but I don't enjoy them (I enjoy being right and getting good grades but have no interest in what I'm actually learning) and again I'm good at art but am miles behind and really struggle to get motivated. I go to school, sit in class disengaged from actual work (I use it more as a social these days) then go home or to work and pretend it doesn't exist. I hate going in and just being told 'learn this, learn this, learn that and say it exactly like this and you'll get a good grade'. Its too stifling (which amuses me because its the exact opposite of last year when I took English lit and absolutely hated sitting round in a circle -it was a class of five- and just discussing what a poet or whatever was trying to say. I mean, do poets really think that far into it? I just wanted to go and write. ). Outside school I have no interest in science, I like following world affairs, keeping up with the news, playing an instrument, learning languages (currently Russian and I love it) and reading and watching historical (or historically based) books/films/TV shows. They don't add up and I have trouble if I want to apply to science because my outside interests show I have zero interest in applications of science (particularly in medical and engineering areas ugh) but I don't have any humanities subjects to study those sorts of subjects (languages, history, philosophy, English etc). I can't redo a year without having to pay (really, instead of freaking out because I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, I should have just dropped English lit (even though it was actually my best grade and i smashed the exam- its amazing what being relaxed because you just don't care and being able to sound like you know what you're talking about even though you never even finished the book can do), resat my history exams (I got a C overall and every rational though went out of my head and I (stupidly) dropped it)) and carried on. Sorry, this really went away from the original question but it helps just to get it all out so I can organise my thoughts. My parents are so sick of my mini crises that they just tell me to suck it up and go away :') thank you for reading, and again sorry its so long.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest