The Student Room Group

I love my curves society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Fair enough you want to cheer people up but there's a difference between that and telling people exactly what they want to hear just to make them happy. I'm all for people being body confident but I'm not for people lieing to people just to make them happy - what's the point?
Reply 121
squirly
I wouldn't say it's subjective if it's a society for HEALTHILY thin people. Then it's healthy weight vs unhealthy weight. Not subjective surely?

And you can tell just by looking how healthy they are? Just on a glance you can tell if they're healthily thin or unhealthily thin, healthily large or unhealthily large?

If you can I would like enter into a business partnership with you to patent your methods, they're going to speed up health checks by a considerable margin, and there's profit to be had.
squirly
Fair enough you want to cheer people up but there's a difference between that and telling people exactly what they want to hear just to make them happy. I'm all for people being body confident but I'm not for people lieing to people just to make them happy - what's the point?

It must have sounded insincere due to the retaliation and defense to that retaliation, but I wasn't lying. She said she doesn't like her thighs i suggested changing those , she says she likes her top half i suggested emphasizing and showing that off, and I told her that I personally like large shoulders , which I do.

I also said i think 10stone at that height isn't that bad, which it isn't I think BMI wise it is within the normal range.
Reply 123
Psynergy
And you can tell just by looking how healthy they are? Just on a glance you can tell if they're healthily thin or unhealthily thin, healthily large or unhealthily large?

If you can I would like enter into a business partnership with you to patent your methods, they're going to speed up health checks by a considerable margin, and there's profit to be had.

If you are carrying excess weight (Ie in the obese range from a medical point a view) it's often noticable without having to do tests. Sizes aren't the best thing to use to judge the weight of someone.
But you can tell if someone is too big and can get health problems because of it (by health problems I don't mean huge problems but I'm yet to find someone who has got overweight by eating good food and having a good exercise routine...bad food does equal bad health)
marisad_uk

The OP has decided her thread says that fat on belly and bum is curves not fat. She defined the aims of this society and the meaning of curves in this context, why do some people have to come in and spoil it by telling everyone fat can never be curves and is always hideous and unhealthy and wrong.

She said a bit of belly. Mine is not completely flat it's slightly rounded. And having a big bum doesn't mean you're fat. My bum is 'big' compared to my waist but I'm not fat.

Why are you getting so het up anyways? You're happy with yourself so don't worry what other people think. And from what you said earlier in this thread you're not fat anyways, you're just not exactly skinny (which I doubt you'd wanna be anyways from what you've been saying). Like Squirly said in the main when people are talking about fat people who are like a size 20 passing themselves off as curvy to make it sound better.
-Emmz-
She said a bit of belly. Mine is not completely flat it's slightly rounded. And having a big bum doesn't mean you're fat. My bum is 'big' compared to my waist but I'm not fat.

Why are you getting so het up anyways? You're happy with yourself so don't worry what other people think. And from what you said earlier in this thread you're not fat anyways, you're just not exactly skinny (which I doubt you'd wanna be anyways from what you've been saying). Like Squirly said in the main when people are talking about fat people who are like a size 20 passing themselves off as curvy to make it sound better.

Im het up for other people, like the girl who was really miserable because her thighs were large even though the rest of her was fine, even by others high standards.

I know i'm not what people call "fat" nor "skinny" this isn't about me, I'm just trying to make people see how them barging in using words like "fat" and "disgusting" like they mean the same thing can really upset people and make them desperate to change even when they are not and more unhealthy than others, and are simply doing it to please others, and what they think others see as ok. Im also against gatecrashing a thread intended to be a "like what you have got an embrace it" positive thing, with such a negative message as "fat people are disgusting and can't think they are beautiful"

If someone who is size 20 calls herself "curvy" to make herself feel good, so what, is she harming anyone else? She feels happier about herself, even if it is what other people see as deluded (some people see religion and similar as a delusion to make people feel better, yet wouldn't take these ideals away from them in order to satisfy our own ideas and make everyone agree with them) if it makes her happy or at least not feel totally hideous, then I am all for them using the word that way. I would rather than person decided themselves that what they see as curves are unhealthy and wanted to slim a bit for herself, than did if because of peer pressure and everyone making her feel disgusting and worthless. Even if they never see that, better to be size 20 and a bit physically unhealthy, than end up depressed,or emotionally unstable,or with something similar to bulimia or anorexia in order to stop others around calling them disguising and insisting they will never be beautiful in anyones eyes.
Reply 126
Luize
If you are carrying excess weight (Ie in the obese range from a medical point a view) it's often noticable without having to do tests. Sizes aren't the best thing to use to judge the weight of someone.
But you can tell if someone is too big and can get health problems because of it (by health problems I don't mean huge problems but I'm yet to find someone who has got overweight by eating good food and having a good exercise routine...bad food does equal bad health)

I'm afraid I can't agree with this, excess weight does not equal bad diet, lack of excercise etc. It can be the product of a slower metabolism, water retention, or a myriad of other factors. If you can't think of an example of someone heavy with a good diet/excercise routine, consider boxers in the heavier brackets.

I can see with all the scaremongering about obesity and the like in the public eye in recent years why this view has proliferated, but it's not all that accurate. Many of the very serious effects of poor diet and lack of excercise are invisible, fatty deposits within the arteries, hardening due to high salt intake, liver damage etc, one can be very thin indeed and still have all these problems.

I'm not saying there are no overweight people who got there by poor diet and neglecting exercise, I'm saying that you can't judge the health of anyone merely by their figure and weight.
marisad_uk
Im het up for other people, like the girl who was really miserable because her thighs were large even though the rest of her was fine, even by others high standards.

I know i'm not what people call "fat" nor "skinny" this isn't about me, I'm just trying to make people see how them barging in using words like "fat" and "disgusting" like they mean the same thing can really upset people and make them desperate to change even when they are not and more unhealthy than others, and are simply doing it to please others, and what they think others see as ok. Im also against gatecrashing a thread intended to be a "like what you have got an embrace it" positive thing, with such a negative message as "fat people are disgusting and can't think they are beautiful"

If someone who is size 20 calls herself "curvy" to make herself feel good, so what, is she harming anyone else? She feels happier about herself, even if it is what other people see as deluded (some people see religion and similar as a delusion to make people feel better, yet wouldn't take these ideals away from them in order to satisfy our own ideas and make everyone agree with them) if it makes her happy or at least not feel totally hideous, then I am all for them using the word that way. I would rather than person decided themselves that what they see as curves are unhealthy and wanted to slim a bit for herself, than did if because of peer pressure and everyone making her feel disgusting and worthless. Even if they never see that, better to be size 20 and a bit physically unhealthy, than end up depressed,or emotionally unstable,or with something similar to bulimia or anorexia in order to stop others around calling them disguising and insisting they will never be beautiful in anyones eyes.

No you make some very good points. Some people in this thread don't find fat people attractive though, that's their opinion. It's just because this is the internet that it's coming across so bluntly.

It is unhealthy though for young women to be around a size 20 unless they've got some underlying medical condition. It just predisposes you to a load of conditions.
-Emmz-
It is unhealthy though for young women to be around a size 20 unless they've got some underlying medical condition. It just predisposes you to a load of conditions.

It's still unhealthy, surely, there's just a reason for it besides not doing enough exercise/not eating well.

On mentioning slow metabolisms...If you have a slow metabolism you should alter your exercise and diet accordingly so you don't end up with excess fat, cause in the end there's no point sitting around going 'well I'm a size 20, but it's ok cause my metabolism is slow' - you're still unhealthily large. I have to do it and it sucks when I see my friends eating massive portions and sitting on their asses doing nothing all evening but hey that's life. Having a slow metabolism and being fat doesn't neccessarily indicate 'bad diet' and 'no exercise' but it does suggest 'inappropriate diet' and 'not enough exercise'.

Water retention is a different thing because it isn't fat, same as the example of boxers, who (as far as I'm aware) would usually be very lean and have most of their weight from muscle.
Reply 129
Psynergy

No, clearly that's not possible, I was just trying to avoid being flamed by everyone saying that anorexics shouldn't be celebrated etc... people of a healthy weight without being fat should be IMO.

And marisad I do get where you're coming from, I just think that I'd rather hurt someones feelings than let them live delusioned that their weight at a size 20 is nothing to be worried about and that it's beautiful - NOT to make them insecure and self conscious but in the hope that they'll do something about it for their health. I'd feel far guiltier letting someone be blissfully ignorant to the risks than telling them to get their act together and hurting their feelings.
misslibby
It's still unhealthy, surely, there's just a reason for it besides not doing enough exercise/not eating well.

Yeah I didn't word it very well sorry. It is still unhealthy.
squirly
As for whoever it was commenting about being beautiful 'but a size 12' - when did anyone say size 12 was fat? We were talking about the size 20 kinda area.. medically obese, not what could be a perfectly healthy weight for a person.

I was worried it would be taken like that, I definitely WASN'T saying that, it was just an example to the poster.
Reply 132
marisad_uk
I wonder what happened in your life to make you such a cow, i was trying to cheer someone up, and i never said exercise makes EVERYONE miserable just some people.

If someone made a thinness society (and they'd be more justified I should think)

Thin people have more of a right to a society about loving themselves is that?

HAHAHA

you, my dear, are one sad sad laughable person, and I hope one day you get a bit larger as it is the worst thing to wish one someone who is so "fat-o-phobic" I am sure you will correct me on the terminology there as well.

I think squirly answered this perfectly but thought you might like a response from me so you don't think I've surrendered.

I think it is wrong to cheer people up arbitrarily when their weight is indeed a problem.

Thin people do have a bigger right to be proud (healthily thin that is) than fat unhealthy people. Simply because healthy is better. I'd like you to try and challenge me on that.

And btw, there is no need to be so rude calling me a "cow", you are being so immature. I never insulted you, just pointed out my opinion about what constitutes beautiful curves. I think I have every right to do that.
Reply 133
marisad_uk

If someone who is size 20 calls herself "curvy" to make herself feel good, so what, is she harming anyone else? She feels happier about herself, even if it is what other people see as deluded

So you agree that this person would be deluding herself just to make herself feel better?? So far so good, at least you've accepted that.
If people don't mind, I'd like to see the weights/dress sizes of the people who would class themselves as curvy. Maybe the people who would are overweight and are using curvy to make themselves feel better or maybe people are actually curvy. That's one of the arguements here isn't it? Whether this is a society for obese people to celebrate that they are unhealthy or for people who arn't very thin but have a healthy, yet nicely shaped, body.
Woah @ this thread! Didn't think it would go this far, but then I'm not surprised lol. Anyway I hope my friend on here belle_27 is good, that's all that matters :biggrin:

I don't have enough time to read through all that so yeah.
Psynergy
This has to be one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

What, a thread that discusses and debates fashion and beauty, on a fashion and beauty subforum, in a debate and discussion forum?

marisad_uk
compare yourself to me if you want i'm same height and 11 and 1/2 stone If i can learn to love all that you can learn to love 10stone :tongue:

Marisad, do you continually admit self-defeat or what? Yes, you learned to love your weight. i.e. You didn't always love it. i.e. The process from knowing its bad to "thinking it's good" is something that takes effort (if you've got to "learn it"). You know it's bad really, and you've basically just admitted that it's possible to delude yourself that it's actually okay.

marisad_uk
I wonder what happened in your life to make you such a cow, ...
you, my dear, are one sad sad laughable person, and I hope one day you get a bit larger as it is the worst thing to wish one someone who is so "fat-o-phobic".

I wonder what happened in your life to make you such a cow? You, my dear, are one sad, sad, laughable person, and I hope one day you get a bit thinner as it is the best thing to wish someone who's in denial over being overweight.

Psynergy
Yeah, much more justified, set of subjective factors A is much more worthy of praise than set of subjective factors B.

Psynergy, it's very easy to go down the subjective line. We all can do it. For instance:

You think it's unjustified to praise set of subjective factors A more than set of subjective factors B.

I don't (for sake of argument).

These are our subjective opinions so neither of us is right, NEH!

So pulling the word subjective out doesn't really do anything on its own. You need to at least prove that what you're talking about IS subjective and, to be honest, there wouldn't be a discussion here if there were no objective factors.

Adhsur's (and mine, and everyone else on this side's) argument was obviously that fatness is objectively bad because it's unhealthy. Not "because its not pretty to me". It may be true that I don't find fatness pretty, but I have no problem with it at all so long as the person isn't overweight.

Overweightness/unhealthiness regarding fat isn't a subjective matter. Give me your height and weight and age and I can tell you if you're in the green, it's a very simple matter. I trust the doctors on this one.
Reply 137
I wholeheartedly approve.
ok: soopa skinny - bad, curves - great, seeing beyond body image - even better. but there must be a point when you realise that a big belly (like mine) is (in many cases) just a result of unjustified greed and a lack of self discipline. there are many excuses but in a global sense surely there is none for an excessive use of resources, food costs money resources, and is responsible for many bad things (exploitation, deforestation, a rather large carbon footprint etc).

in the end its never a good thing to be over weight, and there is nothing wrong with self improvement
killerbee
ok: soopa skinny - bad, curves - great, seeing beyond body image - even better. but there must be a point when you realise that a big belly (like mine) is (in many cases) just a result of unjustified greed and a lack of self discipline. there are many excuses but in a global sense surely there is none for an excessive use of resources, food costs money resources, and is responsible for many bad things (exploitation, deforestation, a rather large carbon footprint etc).

in the end its never a good thing to be over weight, and there is nothing wrong with self improvement

Congratulations! Not sure about the deforestation hehe but yes, I think you've hit a few of the nails on their heads here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending