The Student Room Group

GCSE's and eating disorder

Heres a quick overview.. Ive been struggling with an eating disorder for 2 years now, im 16 and ive had previous counselling with my school but this has stopped mainly because i stopped going because she kept saying how the doctors will help me and she can only talk to me about anxiety and stuff... Anyway ive been to the doctors about it and he referred me to a psychologist at the mental health clinic and this was in January and i still haven't heard anything from them.... my parents dont talk to me about my eating... they notice all my weird habits with food (if you know what i mean) but they choose not to bring it up and let me get on with things.. its probably because i get so protective when they mention anything to me

I start my exams next week and my eating has been so bad, ive been binging and fasting then back to restricting but when im restricting im eating food that i know the calories in - which is food like chocolate bars and crisps because i find them easy to add up. Im eating these rubbish foods and my body is feeling so weak my hairs gotten so dry and i cant even concentrate on revision... im having really bad panic attacks aswell i binged tonight so ill be fasting tomorrow im really just here asking for some help or advice what can i do? will the school do anything or is too late...
Reply 1
Talk to some support members at the school - they absolutely will be able to help you in some way.

You should also take a look at http://www.b-eat.co.uk who have some good forms of advice on their site.

Remember to slow down and just take a breath instead of getting yourself too flustered :tongue:
Hi, i'm doing my gcse's now and i'm kind of struggling with my eating habits(horrific diet with very little f/v and lots of processed food), my sexuality(I'm male 16, Bi) and other insecurities. I found it helped me to think why i felt the way i did and discovered my thoughts, i'd definitely tell someone, although the most reassuring thing for me was telling friends. You could explore stuff which helps you feel better and may prepare you for revision, personally I find some music or something fitness related helps... I wouldn't worry about it being late for help though, your school or whoever will help whenever, and i'd suggest you get help asap. Goodluck in your exams, if you like it would be interesting to chat to you more, I'm gonna go now cos i've got an exam tomorrow morning :frown: , wish me luck!
Reply 3
Heya,

Can you give your GP a ring and ask them to chase up your referral or let you know how long it might be until you hear something? There can be long waiting lists, but you should have heard something back from them by now. My GP was really helpful at getting my referral through quicker when I was struggling with my ED, so it is really worth doing.

Do you think you could try to write down your feelings about your eating in a letter and leave it for your parents to read? I know it's difficult with EDs because you can get very defensive and protective about it, and it's hard to think about letting it go, but it's really important that you get support with this and it would really help if they can understand.

It's understandable that you're struggling with the eating with the stress of exams coming up too, and I can certainly relate to what you say about calories and the foods you're eating. It would really help (both for the sake of your health and to help you with your exams!) if you can try and keep things as stable as possible with your eating. If you restrict you're more likely to end up binging too because your body will be crying out for food. It would be ideal if possible to manage 3 meals and 3 snacks a day (although I know that can sound scary!), but at the very least, try to make sure you eat regularly (at least every 4 hours) and don't go for long periods of time without eating anything. Please please please do not fast to compensate for binging - like I said, it actually makes binging more likely. The best thing you can do is take it one day at a time, each day is a fresh start.

Quick Reply

Latest