The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
dobbs
Only because the vast majority of the population of Durham are students, who (on the whole) are pretty decent people who aren't racist.

If you actually just looked at the permanent residents of Durham (especially Gilesgate/Sherburn) I'm sure you'd find just as much a percentage of racists as you would down in London.

Not to put you off at all! But racism is meant to be more ripe in more rural areas, London is probably one of the least racist places to be!

Hm. I think locals in Durham are perhaps more likely to be *ignorant* of other races, or to regard them as a curiosity. There are some racists in all regions, but for outright animosity look at areas like Brick Lane. There other ethnic groups have a significant presence and thus can be arbitrarily blamed for things, or there can be more of a gang mentality. I would guess that Durham has less of a problem in terms of racist attacks and incidents– if only because relations have not been put under as much strain. Not that I've done any research. :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
dobbs
This is easy. I, for some unknown reason, love airports and how they are laid out! So much fun! :biggrin:

(However I am not someone who gets bored and stands on one travelator thingy then gets on the other one going back, then gets back on the first one, and so on...unlike someone I know :rolleyes: sigh)

Airports are awesome!! Chances are if you're in an airport you're going on holiday:biggrin:
Durham is as gay as you want it to be, dahlings!
Reply 43
Quite. I'd agree with that one.
Reply 44
paddy
Airports are awesome!! Chances are if you're in an airport you're going on holiday:biggrin:

Or going home from visiting your bf.
Or going on a Year Abrroad.
I don't have many happy things to say about airports. :frown:
Reply 45
or going between newcastle and bristol!

although I must say that trains could be making a comeback for this, as I managed yesterday to get a £25 return to Bristol for the 2nd of feb*!

*travelling as an under 15... shhh!!
Reply 46
TKR
or going between newcastle and bristol!

although I must say that trains could be making a comeback for this, as I managed yesterday to get a £25 return to Bristol for the 2nd of feb*!

*travelling as an under 15... shhh!!

How do you plan to get away with that one?!
Reply 47
Becca
Or going home from visiting your bf.
Or going on a Year Abrroad.
I don't have many happy things to say about airports. :frown:

Or going to your bf
Or going home from your year abroad
See there's always a bright side! *bursts into song*
Reply 48
paddy
Or going to your bf
Or going home from your year abroad
See there's always a bright side! *bursts into song*

Yes, but airports still make me more happy than sad.
Reply 49
Becca
Yes, but airports still make me more happy than sad.

Don't you mean more sad than happy?:s-smilie:
Reply 50
Becca
How do you plan to get away with that one?!
By dressing in emo-kid chique! Oh... and being clean-shaven:biggrin:
Reply 51
I've been travelling on trains and buses as an under-15 ever since my BF let me in on the secret knowledge that it's actually not that hard if you look anything close to young. Just add a few years onto your D.O.B. and tell them, they can't really ask you for ID as your 15, and generally even if they do say something they're unlikely to make a fuss as they're not really that bothered! I feel morally justified in doing this because I still get ID'd buying alcohol (and sometimes even tobacco!) :smile:
Reply 52
And taking his piercings out, if he has any sense.
Reply 53
paddy
Don't you mean more sad than happy?:s-smilie:

Erm...yeah....:redface:

Oops. I get easily confused. :biggrin:

TKR
I've been travelling on trains and buses as an under-15 ever since my BF let me in on the secret knowledge that it's actually not that hard if you look anything close to young. Just add a few years onto your D.O.B. and tell them, they can't really ask you for ID as your 15, and generally even if they do say something they're unlikely to make a fuss as they're not really that bothered! I feel morally justified in doing this because I still get ID'd buying alcohol (and sometimes even tobacco!)

Fari enough, I think I'd try if I thought I'd get away with it, but I think I look really old. :\
Reply 54
All I have to do is shave and smile a lot et voila, I'm young again.
I suck at shaving tho :/
Reply 55
I was always annoyed that I couldn't shave (i.e. my facial hair didn't grow quick enough)....now that I have to shave regularly it's bloody annoying!

Enjoy your smoothness while you can! :frown:
Reply 56
paddy
All I have to do is shave and smile a lot et voila, I'm young again.
I suck at shaving tho :/

Same :smile: but my housemate has this thing about getting free samples off the internet by giving them your address or something - don't ask me to explain it but I think it's to do with junk mail except you untick a box and don't get it. Anyway, being the only boy in my house she got me some free mach *insert high number here* razors and now I'm amazing at shaving!

Moral of the story: get posh expensive razors and you'll make the money back on cheap rail travel... probably.
Reply 57
NEWSFLASH (on rail travel issues, not gay issues, sorry).....

Durham station is getting a spanking new "Travel Centre" (i.e. the ticket office) with MORE FastTicket machines....YAY :biggrin:

It's currently under construction....I've said for ages they need more than ONE on one side and ONE which is always broken on the other side!!
Reply 58
Yeah, it's kind of swish but you now have to go into the southbound side, and then left down a bit before you can get in. But there is now a Costa's there.
Reply 59
TKR
Same :smile: but my housemate has this thing about getting free samples off the internet by giving them your address or something - don't ask me to explain it but I think it's to do with junk mail except you untick a box and don't get it. Anyway, being the only boy in my house she got me some free mach *insert high number here* razors and now I'm amazing at shaving!

Moral of the story: get posh expensive razors and you'll make the money back on cheap rail travel... probably.

I've never wet-shaved, I've always had an electric shaver and they suck:s-smilie:
Must get proper shaving equipment really.

Latest