The Student Room Group

How to draw a y=x^2 - pi^2 graph??

I know y=x^2 is a parabola but how do you draw a y=x^2 - pi^2 graph?

I already drew y=sinx graph.
20150504_205049.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Airess3

20150504_205049.jpg

Pi^2 is just a constant. Where will the graph meet the x-axis and y-axis? Plot those points then sketch a parabola through them. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Pi^2 is just a constant. Where will the graph meet the x-axis and y-axis? Plot those points then sketch a parabola through them. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The graph meets at 0 and 1 on the x-axis I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Airess3
The graph meets at 0 and 1 on the x-axis I think.

That's not right. The graph meets the x-axis when y=0, so solve x^2 - pi^2 = 0 to find the intersection points.
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is cos(1) =1 or 0.5?
Original post by Airess3
Is cos(1) =1 or 0.5?

Neither...
Original post by notnek
That's not right. The graph meets the x-axis when y=0, so solve x^2 - pi^2 = 0 to find the intersection points.

So x= 0 and x=pi ?
Original post by Airess3
(...)

Pi is a constant, right? put the values of x in this variable, square the value of x first and after that square the constant pi. Last but not least subtract the squared pi from the squared value of x.

So, where is the problem?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Airess3
So x= 0 and x=pi ?

Close: x = pi is right, but the x = 0 is not. You want to solve x2π2=0x^2 - \pi^2 = 0 this has 2 solutions, both are related to pi in some way, you got x = pi, so the other is...
Reply 9
Original post by Airess3
So x= 0 and x=pi ?

x=0 is wrong.

02π200^2- \pi^2 \neq 0
Original post by Airess3
So x= 0 and x=pi ?

If you put x = 0 in the equation y = x^2 - pi^2, you will not get 0 as a result, but -pi^2. x = pi is right, but as x^2 is a square term, there is another solution. Do you see what this solution is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Airess3

20150504_205049.jpg

Can you draw the graphs of

y = x^2 - 1

y = x^2 - 4

y = x^2 - 9

etc?

This question is exactly the same principle :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
If you put x = 0 in the equation y = x^2 - pi^2, you will not get 0 as a result, but -pi^2. x = pi is right, but as x^2 is a square term, there is another solution. Do you see what this solution is?

Is it -1? I drew a graph. 20150504_214301.jpg
Original post by Airess3
Is it -1? I drew a graph. 20150504_214301.jpg

No. What happens to negative values, if they are squared? do you get it now? your equation is y = x^2 - pi^2 = 0...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Airess3
Is it -1? I drew a graph.

Do you know about differences of two squares?

if you had y=x2a2y = x^2 - a^2 then y=(x+a)(xa)y = (x+a)(x-a) so this graph would cross the x axis at a and -a.

Try applying this method to your problem.
Original post by TheIrrational
Do you know about differences of two squares?

if you had y=x2a2y = x^2 - a^2 then y=(x+a)(xa)y = (x+a)(x-a) so this graph would cross the x axis at a and -a.

Try applying this method to your problem.

How would you draw a graph of y=(x+pi)(x-pi) ? I know that'd lead to x=-pi and x=pi but would it still be the same parabola shape?
Reply 16
Original post by Airess3
How would you draw a graph of y=(x+pi)(x-pi) ? I know that'd lead to x=-pi and x=pi but would it still be the same parabola shape?

If you expand it you'll get back to a quadratic so it's still a parabola.

It'll be a parabola that goes through x=pi and x=-pi
Original post by Airess3

Exactly what notnek said above, it would still be a parabola shape which crosses the x-axis and -pi and pi.
Original post by notnek
If you expand it you'll get back to a quadratic so it's still a parabola.

It'll be a parabola that goes through x=pi and x=-pi

I'm having a bit of a problem drawing this?

20150505_111526.jpg
Reply 19
Original post by Airess3
I'm having a bit of a problem drawing this?

20150505_111526.jpg

It's looking better but you haven't shown that the parabola crosses the x-axis at pi and -pi. But you have a pi on your y-axis which is not necessary.

Also, the sin graph is upside down and you need to think about where the sin graph crosses the x-axis and match this up with the parabola e.g. sin(x) crosses the x-axis at x=pi and so does the parabola.

Quick Reply

Latest