The Student Room Group

Leaving uni after first year - want to apply somewhere else?

Hello

I am currently doing a degree course and it is not likely that I will pass, It looks like I have failed some modules due to messing about and doesn't look likely I'm going to get 40%. I'm also not enjoying the degree itself and wouldn't want to resit first year again at the same uni when I can do something different, and as I have missed the January deadline, can I do UCAS now? I am currently at a Russell group uni, how likely is it that I can go to another using clearing after failing first year??

Where do I stand with student finance etc.?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by personleavinguni
Hello

I am currently doing a degree course and it is not likely that I will pass, It looks like I have failed some modules due to messing about and doesn't look likely I'm going to get 40%. I'm also not enjoying the degree itself and wouldn't want to resit first year again at the same uni when I can do something different, and as I have missed the January deadline, can I do UCAS now? I am currently at a Russell group uni, how likely is it that I can go to another using clearing after failing first year??

Thanks

What uni is this, you should have a tutor or something a long those lines, if you are worrying or wanting to change the best bet is to speak to them about it
Hello

Thanks

To enter clearing, you have to have a current application in with Ucas, so you need to make one. You need a reference as before, so you need to discuss this with your tutor at uni. Your position with student finance is that you are allowed one 'grace' year, which you have now used up, so that a new degree would be fully funded but after that, any mistakes and restarts will have to be funded by you.

You don't really sound as if you are ready to make a fresh start yet, since you don't appear to know what you want to do other than not what you are currently doing, so I'd give serious thought to just taking a year out to get yourself sorted out before risking wasting your remaining funding entitlement on something you haven't thought through.

Where do I stand with student finance?

This is what it says in a popup in my Student Finance account;

Going to university or college this year?

To make sure you get your money in time for the start of your course, new students need to apply for finance by 31 May, returning students need to apply by 30th June.

That may have answered your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending