The Student Room Group

Can I get a female opinion on how I look?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
I googled the clip in mean girls but I still have no idea what that has to do with my comment, your comment or the thread...

Lol well I saw it once and flushed my brain of all the memory, so...
Original post by FroKane
I sometimes get a little self conscious and would just like to know how the opposite sex perceives my appearance, I don't care if its 'beta' its just helpful to know, so please share your opinions, thanks

(i dont take many pics for the reason given above, these are just collected from FB and twitter and stuff)

Hi. I feel like I should dish out the obvious first - you shouldn't feel pressured to seek validation from anyone. If a girl is dumb enough to overlook your good qualities, she doesn't deserve you. However, I get that you made this thread for a reason so what the heck... you're feeling a bit down and everyone has days like those.
You're actually quite a cutie! :wink: I like your first 3 pictures. The last one seems a tiny bit forced and unnatural/posey but maybe you were just playing, still cute lol Your first 3 give me the impression that you're likely a laid-back, fun, friendly, nice guy. Like the kind of guy I'd love to hang with at flat parties and have a laugh with. Btw I was being a creep and checked out your profile - you study at my brother's uni! :biggrin: He does creative writing though.
OOO love is in the air ^^^^ :perv:
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
OOO love is in the air ^^^^ :perv:

Lol noooo. I have a bf! :biggrin: But this guy goes to the same uni as my bro, so I wondered if they've crossed paths before. And I can think of a few girls at my uni I could hook him up with... I need to quit playing 'Cupid' though! :tongue: x
Original post by FroKane
I sometimes get a little self conscious and would just like to know how the opposite sex perceives my appearance, I don't care if its 'beta' its just helpful to know, so please share your opinions, thanks

(i dont take many pics for the reason given above, these are just collected from FB and twitter and stuff)

dayummmmm where are u from eh?
Mate, confidence is what is key.

Who cares what other people think? If they don't like how you look then what's the ****ing point crying about it? It won't change anything. You need to just be yourself, don't worry about how people perceive you, be you. You'll become confident and that will maximise the amount of women that find you attractive.

P.S You look fine. You're not hideous, stop worrying.

Confidence is not the key. Being good looking is the key.

Bering ":you" only works if a decent size of the dating pool find you attractive. It doesn't work for many who never have much success, if any, with dating.

Forming a successful identity is a give and take process: you can't have it all your own way, the opinions of others do matter. Of course you should never shape yourself completely on the designs of others but you should not ignore external opinions either.

And while it's true he's average-ish he could still improve his appearance significantly with a better diet and style.
Original post by FalsettoSlumber
You have a lovely smile :smile: Like TorpidPhil said, your opinion is the most important! Just be confident in yourself, and love yourself for who you are.

Smiling makes you less attractive to women. Even I had trouble grasping why but it makes sense with a bit of thought: smiling detracts from a masculine persona.

"Women find men less attractive when they smile compared to when they take on swaggering or brooding poses, a Canadian study has found.
In contrast, men find women more attractive when they smile, and least attractive when they look proud and confident, the study of 1,084 heterosexual men and women shows. "

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines/201105/study-finds-smiling-men-are-less-attractive-women

This is not the only study that has found women find smiling men less attractive than brooding men btw. I've seen several others that reached the same conclusion.

Original post by Mike9910
Confidence is not the key. Being good looking is the key.

Bering ":you" only works if a decent size of the dating pool find you attractive. It doesn't work for many who never have much success, if any, with dating.

Forming a successful identity is a give and take process: you can't have it all your own way, the opinions of others do matter. Of course you should never shape yourself completely on the designs of others but you should not ignore external opinions either.

And while it's true he's average-ish he could still improve his appearance significantly with a better diet and style.

Not being you doesn't work by definition since it isn't you. You can't change your face. Sure you can change your physique/style but that's not what he was asking about tbh - his pictures clearly didn't showcase his physique or style and I'm sure he bloody knows well that if he starts going crazy with his diet/workout he'll look better as well as if he researches fashion...

There is no alternative but to accept what you have, at least facially, as well as the capabilities of your body (you can't cry about being a dwarf). If you do you're always putting yourself at a level of attractiveness under what you otherwise could be because those insecurities manifest themselves in many different way and they are the most unattractive thing ever in a male or a female. Not to mention they make you feel like ****.

FroKane
-

@ Frokane Tip for OP, to improve your looks - showcase your fashion a bit more and ask how to improve that. Workout if you don't already, if you do, see if the TSR community finds it an optimal workout.
Original post by Anonymous
imo you're quite good looking lol
especially in the last pic
the way you present yourself and confidence is key
love yourself

Oh come on, let's be real: nobody has psychic powers to read minds, even if you lack confidence nobody will know provided you can fake it like 99.9% of the population can, including OP.

Not to mention there's plenty of insecure people around who broadcast their lack of confidence openly, yet these people seem to have no problem being seen as attractive.

Beauty trumps confidence every time. Nobody will like you for being confident, in fact if you are not attractive and still confident you will be an irritation at best and a sex pest at worst. If you're beautiful on the other hand you will be admired, irrespective of your personality.
You're pretty cute :h:
You look very suave :h:
Not being you doesn't work by definition since it isn't you. You can't change your face. Sure you can change your physique/style but that's not what he was asking about tbh - his pictures clearly didn't showcase his physique or style and I'm sure he bloody knows well that if he starts going crazy with his diet/workout he'll look better as well as if he researches fashion...

There is no alternative but to accept what you have, at least facially, as well as the capabilities of your body (you can't cry about being a dwarf). If you do you're always putting yourself at a level of attractiveness under what you otherwise could be because those insecurities manifest themselves in many different way and they are the most unattractive thing ever in a male or a female. Not to mention they make you feel like ****.

@ Frokane Tip for OP, to improve your looks - showcase your fashion a bit more and ask how to improve that. Workout if you don't already, if you do, see if the TSR community finds it an optimal workout.

"Not being you" is another way of advocating a person change themselves. In the same way "being you", or "staying true to yourself" means resisting change that is not self instigated.

Now you're right that facial characteristics are largely from genetics and therefore immutable but there's certain things still under an individual's control, like for instance body fat levels.

OP has lots of buccal fat (cheek fat): this really detracts from the sharpness of his face.

OP would gain immensely if he could lean out his face, of course to do this he would need to lose fat off his entire body.
"Not being you" is another way of advocating a person change themselves. In the same way "being you", or "staying true to yourself" means resisting change that is not self instigated.

Now you're right that facial characteristics are largely from genetics and therefore immutable but there's certain things still under an individual's control, like for instance body fat levels.

OP has lots of buccal fat (cheek fat): this really detracts from the sharpness of his face.

OP would gain immensely if he could lean out his face, of course to do this he would need to lose fat off his entire body.

True. But I'm sure he knows that anyway - losing fat would make him look better. I'm almost certain this post was more about his innate facial aesthetics. Which, since as you say, are immutable, was what prompted my sort of response.
Smiling makes you less attractive to women. Even I had trouble grasping why but it makes sense with a bit of thought: smiling detracts from a masculine persona.

"Women find men less attractive when they smile compared to when they take on swaggering or brooding poses, a Canadian study has found.
In contrast, men find women more attractive when they smile, and least attractive when they look proud and confident, the study of 1,084 heterosexual men and women shows. "

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines/201105/study-finds-smiling-men-are-less-attractive-women

This is not the only study that has found women find smiling men less attractive than brooding men btw. I've seen several others that reached the same conclusion.

Bleurgh, I'd rather see my boyfriend grinning like a goon than looking brooding any day of the week! Screw that study, give me a good natural smile any day of the week.
Be happy with your appearance. You're good looking.
Reply 35
Original post by francesca_161
Be happy with your appearance. You're good looking.

I am happy with my appearance, I just wanted some outside opinions, thank you :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by TheTipsyTarsier
You look very suave :h:

is that good lol?
Opinions don't have genders.
You have a great smile :smile:
Reply 39
bumping for more opinions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending