The Student Room Group

Can I get onto a Nursing course?

Can i get onto a nursing course taking:
Law
Politics
Philosophy
sociology

is sociology considered a 'science subject' ? Am i taking relevant subjects?
Original post by lucx_s
Law
Politics
Philosophy
sociology

In my first year of nursing we have covered a lot of psychology and sociology.
So I would say it probably will be accepted, not all universities require science subjects etc.
However, have a think of where you're looking to apply and contact them universities to double check. Trawl through uni websites and the forums on here that have representatives from the uni answering questions.
Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
if they did want a science subject then they do tend to accept social science subjects if you ve not done any others but then most universities can be happy whichever subjects you do for the most part, just get some good grades in your exams and check the entry requirements for all the universities you want to apply for. good luck:smile:
Original post by lucx_s
Law
Politics
Philosophy
sociology

You need to check the requirements of individual universities. I just looked up a few at random:

Liverpool - 'prefer' a biological science, which you do not have.
King's - 'prefer' a science subject, which you do not have.
York - want two 'academic' A-levels from a defined list, which you do have.
City - 'prefer' biological sciences (no) social sciences (yes).

Sociology is not a science, still less a biological science.

If in any doubt about how your qualifications will be viewed, then contact the individual departments and ask.
I have got offers from unis with philosophy, psychology and english literature. I'm sure many accept sociology as a science just check with the unis, go on their websites and have a look at entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
You need to check the requirements of individual universities. I just looked up a few at random:

Liverpool - 'prefer' a biological science, which you do not have.
King's - 'prefer' a science subject, which you do not have.
York - want two 'academic' A-levels from a defined list, which you do have.
City - 'prefer' biological sciences (no) social sciences (yes).

Sociology is not a science, still less a biological science.

If in any doubt about how your qualifications will be viewed, then contact the individual departments and ask.

liverpool and kings and york are in top 15 for nursing and two of those are russell groups so may explain why they ask for science subjects but the key word here is prefer, especially considering nursing take in a lot of mature students who dont have a levels op shouldn't worry too much.
Original post by claireestelle
liverpool and kings and york are in top 15 for nursing and two of those are russell groups so may explain why they ask for science subjects but the key word here is prefer, especially considering nursing take in a lot of mature students who dont have a levels op shouldn't worry too much.

Agreed, and an awful lot depends on the 'commitment factor' which the OP needs to demonstrate.

This might be something of a problem given that only last week the OP was 'passionate about taking PPE at Oxford':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55236737

while at the same time was 'really interested in going to Cambridge and studying law':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55269903

One is forced to conclude that the desire to study nursing might also be a temporary feeling?
Original post by ageshallnot
Agreed, and an awful lot depends on the 'commitment factor' which the OP needs to demonstrate.

This might be something of a problem given that only last week the OP was 'passionate about taking PPE at Oxford':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55236737

while at the same time was 'really interested in going to Cambridge and studying law':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55269903

One is forced to conclude that the desire to study nursing might also be a temporary feeling?

yeah,op needs to show through interview, experience and firstly a really good personal statement to do nursing so definitely not all about the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest