The Student Room Group
Reply 1
vp03
i am doing pure maths, physics, chemistry and biology exams in june for edexcel. i aint started revisin and seem not bothered. can anyone give me tips on how to revise on these subjects? thank you

From what I've seen, the best type of revision for maths/physics is to do best papers. But I guess, it really depends on what suits you.
Reply 2
That's right for maths, and it's not as if past physics papers don't help you revise, but for physics you do need to memorise things. I might make a topic on that as well if I'm in the mood! But not yet, too early. The exam is on thursday two weeks I think. :smile:
Reply 3
mik1a
That's right for maths, and it's not as if past physics papers don't help you revise, but for physics you do need to memorise things. I might make a topic on that as well if I'm in the mood! But not yet, too early. The exam is on thursday two weeks I think. :smile:

my physics unit 5 isnt until da end of june and ive already started!
Reply 4
Bah! You're making all the slackers feel bad! :tongue:
Reply 5
ne 1 able tp explain doppler effect frequency shifts etc my teacher is using word such as observer, actual, real, true to explain different parts of da equations but they all same the seem!
delta f/f = v/c etc
and hubble constant equations
wots da best way to revise this topic?
Reply 6
Marie123
ne 1 able tp explain doppler effect frequency shifts etc my teacher is using word such as observer, actual, real, true to explain different parts of da equations but they all same the seem!
delta f/f = v/c etc
and hubble constant equations
wots da best way to revise this topic?

Isn't there just one Hubble constant equation? v = Hd where H is Hubble's constant. 1/H gives the age of the universe.

Not sure what you mean by the other things, but observers receive the signal of sound/light from the source (though I'd have thought that was obvious)..
Reply 7
There are two doppler effects aren't there? One due to planets moving away whilst emitting EM waves, and another de to actual spactime expanding?
Reply 8
Nylex
Isn't there just one Hubble constant equation? v = Hd where H is Hubble's constant. 1/H gives the age of the universe.

Not sure what you mean by the other things, but observers receive the signal of sound/light from the source (though I'd have thought that was obvious)..

yeah i know dat equation but they always seem to twist these questions in past papers....!
Reply 9
Marie123
yeah i know dat equation but they always seem to twist these questions in past papers....!

Example?
vp03
i am doing pure maths, physics, chemistry and biology exams in june for edexcel. i aint started revisin and seem not bothered. can anyone give me tips on how to revise on these subjects? thank you

You seem bothered enough to ask for tips.
Reply 11
The original frequency of the radar waves is 34GHZ.
Calculate the frequency shift corresponding to the fractional frequency change of 7.3 x10power-8
v=11m/s if dat helps!
im sory is dis is easy! :confused:
Reply 12
state whether the received frequency will be higher or lower than the transmitted frequency?

teacher sed -receiced=actual=observed
-transmitted=true=real :confused:

i duno how these relate to equation deltaf/f = v/c
Reply 13
A galaxy is 4.5 x 10power24metres from earth
Show that galaxy is likely to be moving at a speed of about 1 x 10power7m/s
H=65km/sM/pc
1parsec=3.1 x 10power16metres
Reply 14
Marie123
A galaxy is 4.5 x 10power24metres from earth
Show that galaxy is likely to be moving at a speed of about 1 x 10power7m/s
H=65km/sM/pc
1parsec=3.1 x 10power16metres

You can convert d to Mpc: d = 4.5 x 10^24 m

=> d = (4.5 x 10^24)/(3.1 x 10^16)

d = 1.45 x 10^8 pc = 145 Mpc

v = Hd

v = 65 x 145

v = 9435 kms^-1

v = 9.44 x 10^6 ms^-1, which is approximately 1 x 10^7 ms^-1.
mik1a

Yeah, go for it.... I'll join in... Physics is tough, I really wish that it was as straightforward as Maths...

Tom

Latest

Trending

Trending