The Student Room Group

Family Law Essay Help Me Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

HI ALL!I HAV A ESSAY DUE IN JANUARY AND ITS ON FAMILY LAW WAS WONDERING IF I CAN GET SOME HELP ON IT?CHEERS!!

“To the detached observer, [the law as it has developed over the years] may seem like a witch's brew, into which various esoteric ingredients have been stirred over the years, and in which different ideas bubble to the surface at different times. They include implied trust, constructive trust, resulting trust…proprietary estoppel, unjust enrichment, and so on. These ideas are likely to mean nothing to laymen, and often little more to the lawyers who use them.” Stack v Dowden (Court of Appeal) [2005] EWCA Civ 857; [2006] 1 FLR 254 at [75]

How far do you agree with this statement of the law as it applies to cohabitants’ property disputes on separation?

Scroll to see replies

Now this is why I won't be studying family law! Those of you who said land law (property) was bad, check this out.
Well actually, just how much is this really a family law question?
I could probably answer it having done only a terms work in Land law (I don't study/will ever study family law). Of course we didn't really concentrate on the familial or couple relationship of co-habitees but I certainly read enough about it in LawComm reports that we had to study when looking at the question of reform in this area. Even had to look at articles written by frustrated feminists that were pissed off about how much rights or lack of rights, they had. Wasn't that interesting really but then I am the average sort of guy: "BLOODY GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN WOULD YOU WOOOOMMMANNNN AND MAKE ME SOME PIES!!"
Reply 3
haha haha!aahem yes. i am soley responsible for the suffering caused to my self by family law.:s-smilie:.
nice super, nice!

however, I don't think you would know near enough tdetail from land to answer this unless you did some seriously hardcore extra reading.; I got a first, and I couldn't telly ou the first thing about thing outside the context of TOLATA etc! Co-ownership etc, I have no idea about matrimonial rights.
Reply 5
Yep.Iv done an essay for land law similar scenario which was to do with TOLATA AND Co ownership so i guess il follow that route.

btm lewis boy congrats on the 1st mate your the type the Magic Circle want i believe :biggrin::cool:
Well, I have to keep it up in final year before we canmake that assertion. It's about way more than just grades too.
Reply 7
heh.i have become aware of this last year but im sure youl make to some extent the 1st is an indication of that :biggrin:.What firm are you looking to get into and have you applied already ?

P.S.

How cani get a first in land law :P
Only one way to get a first in land law, hard work basically. You need to understand it flawlessly and e able to critique it... just like every oter module really. Land was the most commonly failed module last year! Most people's worst mark at Notts, my 2nd best.
Reply 9
yeh its the same i guess here at leicester,i will take your advice on board and really get serious with the books :biggrin:.May i ask what book you were recommended for land law ?
Gravells (he is our Professor though, so not sure what to read into that...)
There are some good easy-to-read Land law textbooks that cover most areas of Land law in enough detail to do well in an exam.
Authors include: Martin Dixon, Roger Smith, (Alan?) Thompson.
Reply 12
yeh mark thompson is our lecturer hes book is good though he follows the exact same pattern as his book when lecturing lol,gravells i and dixon i shall look in to cheers:P
koota
gravells i and dixon i shall look in to cheers:P
Dixon's textbook is at about the same standard as Thompson's textbook. I suggest that you look at Smith's textbook as opposed to Gravell's textbook.
Reply 14
Gray and Gray, Land Law Core Text is my best friend...
Reply 15
yes that is good it has been reccommened as further reading for us.Hey can i ask how do u guys refer to authority in exams?I mean do put the author or academic in brackets etc? :s-smilie:
Hey can i ask how do u guys refer to authority in exams?I mean do put the author or academic in brackets etc? :s-smilie:

e.g. (S. Bright) or if you can (S. Bright, 2002)
Reply 17
nice one matey :biggrin:!!!
Yeah, I think a lot of people forget to reference in exams! V Important.
Reply 19
I've never 'referenced' an article in a formal sense: e.g. (S. Bright, 2002) - I could NEVER hope to remember what year a certain academic had written an article in an exam.

I just tend to say something like 'Bright argues..X...However as Smith points out, this overlooks..Y... The better view then is that...Z..blah blah blah...blah'

Latest

Trending

Trending