The Student Room Group

Commuting in Second Year

I live about 90/1hr away from the university I'm going to and was just wondering if that would be too far for me to commute everyday. It's in London so transport isn't really a big issue, and much cheaper than finding somewhere to rent.

Does anyone commute, is it too difficult or?
I'm just finishing my second year and I commute. I don't find it difficult at all, I've never understood people who complain about commuting to uni, it's just like going to work or school. Most people don't live at their school or job, so it's no different really.
Original post by gulbenkian02
I live about 90/1hr away from the university I'm going to and was just wondering if that would be too far for me to commute everyday. It's in London so transport isn't really a big issue, and much cheaper than finding somewhere to rent.

I commuted to uni in my second and third year and it was fine- but I did live much closer to uni, about 30 minutes on public transport, or 20 minutes in the car. Living at home saved me a lot of money, but again, I imagine my commute was probably cheaper than yours will be.

Realistically, you do need to be more motivated to commute in, especially if you've got a long journey in for an hour of lectures. I also worked at my uni during second year, which meant my commute felt more worthwhile.

One of the biggest issues is likely to be group work- if you have to travel in for a short meeting with people, then leave again, that can be pretty frustrating.

Finally, I think it's essential to have a back up plan, especially for exam days if your normal route has delays for some reason.
Original post by gulbenkian02

Give it a test run and see how you feel. Personally when I've commuted one and a half hours for work experience in London I've not really liked it because its a lot of time spent on transport when you could do other things. Having said that if you are someone who wants peace and quiet and isn't interested in going out clubbing then living at home might suit you more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending