The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

drugs are a mug's game
i did a month in a drug and alcohol place for my uni course and to be honest anyone can end up getting involved with drugs, you d be surprised really
You'd be surprised as to how many people take drugs/have taken in the past, even just for briefly.
Reply 5
Given that it is taken in moderation, and that it is not particularly incapacitating or addictive e.g crack, heroin, speed, I don't see why someone who takes drugs must necessarily be mentally deficient.

I have never taken any kind of drug before, but I would have no problem with a person who smoked a little weed now and again, provided that they can get on properly with their lives and don't let it become the centre of their world.
Reply 6
Original post by VannR
Given that it is taken in moderation, and that it is not particularly incapacitating or addictive e.g crack, heroin, speed, I don't see why someone who takes drugs must necessarily be mentally deficient.

I have never taken any kind of drug before, but I would have no problem with a person who smoked a little weed now and again, provided that they can get on properly with their lives and don't let it become the centre of their world.

Interesting but what do you gain from smoking weed?
I believe that they're more potent strains of weed
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Mason
Interesting but what do you gain from smoking weed?
I believe that they're more potent strains of weed

I have known several people who have smoked weed, and from their behaviour, it is not much different to alcohol. However, instead of it simply enhancing your current mood (sad goes to utterly woeful; happy goes to joyful), it makes them all just relax and chill out.

Obviously, taken to excess it can make people very agitated and paranoid, and people can become dependent upon it, but it is the same with alcohol. Also, some people go on about the dangers of weed as a 'gateway drug' and talk about a slippery slope to crack and heroin. I hold this view: if you are a well-balanced, rational person, you will not do something which you know will destroy your life; if you do move to those drugs, it is because there is something wrong with you in the same way that there is something wrong with an alcoholic. This has been the approach of every weed smoker I have known, and they seem to get on just fine.

By the way, I'm not saying that people should be smoking weed, just that it doesn't automatically make you a paranoid moron a few days away from being a crack addict.
Everyone and anyone could become involved in drugs.
sherlock holmes was a druggy. So was telsa IIRC
Reply 10
I mean down to earth,mentality sane, and focused individuals.

Of course, all kinds of people smoke weed.

Ones I have come across are a quite dense and appear to suffer from mild mental problems.

That's a shame, but you shouldn't base your opinion solely on the likes of Boris Johnson and David Cameron.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
sherlock holmes was a druggy. So was telsa IIRC

Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character.
Cannabis, also known as "Weed" is in the same family as the plant known as Hemp.

This means they look almost the same and have similar properties.
The banning of Hemp also banned Cannabis because they are indistinguishable.

The reason Hemp was banned is because of the pressure the Oil and Paper companies put on the government back in the time of racism, where Cannabis was labeled "The black mans drug", this then made the government in its bias ban Cannabis and also Hemp.

A few facts about Hemp and why the Oil/Paper companies hated it.

Hemp is classed as a 'Weed' Hence the name for cannabis, but this actually refers to the fact that the plant grows similar to the pace of bamboo.

Hemp is a sub-tropical plant, this means it can grow in virtually any environment.

All parts of the Hemp plant are usable, the seeds produce oil (Which is able to be used for plastics, oil for cars) and the leaves are edible by humans allowing people to eat parts of the plant and the stem of the plant is flammable allowing it to be burnt to produce electricity or the stem can be pressed into paper.
This is the reason paper and oil companies hated it, it can grow roughly 5 feet indoors with a single sun lamp within a few weeks and outside it can grow past 20-30 feet.
This means that your cars running on oil and your coal power plants wouldn't exist if Hemp wasn't banned.

Cannabis as you know it by has multiple beneficial properties,

It is a natural painkiller.
It doesn't produce toxins like alcohol.
If you smoked it, there are no impurities when made from just the plant unlike tobacco.
People using Cannabis aren't hostile.
Cannabis as a 0% fatality rate as the plant has nothing inside it that is harmful to humans. Only what people do while on it makes it somewhat dangerous and even then its unlikely they will go hurting people as Cannabis doesn't affect anyone in that manner.

If you want an answer to your question,
Smart people understand that alcohol and tobacco are actually lethal to people while Cannabis has no adverse effects.
Unbanning Cannabis and along with it hemp would actually soak up most of the CO^2 in the atmosphere.
America has already accepted it and have multiple private and hidden farms for extensive research on the topic.

EDIT:
Cannabis has no "addiction" to it, that would all be a mental dependency rather than a chemical dependency.
Tobacco and Alcohol both are naturally addictive and cause more problems.
(edited 8 years ago)
The think the group I'm in is quite intelligent and quite a few smoke weed and are still going places in life
Original post by EatAndRevise
Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character.

The fact that he was a druggie was probably because his creator was also a druggie :cool:
If you don't inhale you can be president
You might struggle to link any correlation to causation.. Many mentally ill people may be drawn to drug use rather than marijuana causing mental health issues.
Drugs themselves aren't inherently bad, abusing drugs is bad.

If you can do it and get all your stuff done then why not?

Personally I think you should be able to do anything you want and as long as it doesn't affect your life in a negative way then it's fine.

Moderation is key.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
The fact that he was a druggie was probably because his creator was also a druggie :cool:

That has to be the dumbest post in this thread.
To be honest, I think if everyone tried a few drugs then the world would be a better place.

Latest