The Student Room Group

Warwick or Exeter for Law

Warwick or Exeter please for law please .
Original post by Nmj88

What are your main criteria?
Reply 2
Main issues are which one is more friendly has a good night life and better for top law firms ? Many Thanks
Reply 3
Wel in terms of reputation Warwick is better and a lot of their events are sponsored by top law firms! I sure their are friendly people in both but i cant talk about the nightlife!
Original post by Nmj88

I believe Warwick has a better reputation in law, but Exeter has been establishing its reputation in the last few years, so it's really difficult to say which one is better. Both are great universities for law, many city law firms recruit from both universities, and I think it's a matter of choosing which city you prefer.
All the top Law firms go to recruit from both unis, and although Warwick's reputation is outstanding and currently beats Exeter's, Exeter is on the rise and still very popular with top firms. Both are great universities but neither have a brilliant night life tbh.
I firmed Exeter over Warwick because I like the campus more, prefer the city, accommodation seems nicer, and I prefer the course structure. Just choose which one you feel fits you better - you probably won't do as well at a uni you don't feel comfortable at!
Recruitment-wise and prestige-wise, Warwick beats Exeter by a mile. This is both for local and international recruitment and university prestige. Warwick campus is also better than Exeter now. However, I think Exeter may offer you better nightlife.
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Recruitment-wise and prestige-wise, Warwick beats Exeter by a mile. .

for Law? I think there's nothing to pick between them. That Warwick is better regarded for business and maths should hardly mean more than that Exeter is better regarded for environmental sciences and the philosophy of biology.

I'd go to Exeter. I think the bearing that the awarding institution is going to have on anything is in this instance negligible and Coventry's a bit of a dump while Exeter is rather nice.
There's a gap between Warwick and Exeter even for law. If you can't accept this, it's all up to you and I won't argue with you any further. But there is, whether you agree with me or not, or you like it or not.

As to which campus is nicer, I think that's all subjective.

10 years ago, i would have chosen Exeter easily. But as I see a lot of developments happening at Warwick now, i couldn't say for sure if Exeter looks better than Warwick now and in the future. There's a massive construction development on campus and hundreds of millions of pounds were put in.

Then, of course, if you prefer Exeter, by all means, go for it. But do not say Exeter law is as brilliant as Warwick Law just because you personally prefer it to Warwick law.
I see a lot of developments happening at Warwick now, i couldn't say for sure if Exeter looks better than Warwick now and in the future. There's a massive construction development on campus and hundreds of millions of pounds were put in.

how is that going to bear on the quality of the education delivered by the Law faculty? It is not. A person cannot put on his CV "I graduated in Law from the university having the country's best facilities in systems-biology and a 24 hour gymnasium opened by the Duke of Cambridge".

I think too many pick random proxies for university prestige. Within broad bands of quality the more important considerations for prospective undergraduates should relate to the fact that you've to live there for three years.
Recruitment-wise and prestige-wise, Warwick beats Exeter by a mile. This is both for local and international recruitment and university prestige. Warwick campus is also better than Exeter now. However, I think Exeter may offer you better nightlife.

After the first two weeks there are basically only two clubs and three bars you will ever go to in a resonable state of mind, and I gather the former aren't very good :P

Also Exeter is fundamentally a "countryside City", which is to say, almost everything closes around 6-7pm most days, Sundays there are maybe 3 shops of any kind open after 4pm, and you're limited to either obscenely expensive or patently terrible (read: Nandos and 'spoons) eating out. If you're used to major city conveniences then you may find the Exeter day and night life frustrating. In general it's quite nice, a bit on the posh end at the surface, although the actual townies are relatively working class (by southern standards anyway). There are a couple Barristers chambers and a number of small-moderate sized firms in Exe I think which probably aren't terribly oversubscribed which may be a factor for OP. Might be handy for summer internships or whatever if you don't get something in the city.

The campus is fairly decent overall, the law library is, as far as I can tell, the entire lower floor of the main library (although now that people have settled into the forum it's not longer a gold mine of available space in peak times :< ). There's one of those round mooting hall things that the lawyers use? I've had a couple random lectures in there, it's fairly big and has a weird little courtroom setup for mock trials or whatever I guess.

You really ought to visit however :P I've heard a few people who went to Warwick were rather put off by the fact it's essentially a suburb of Coventry and hence a bit **** geographically. Academically it's stellar of course though, while Exe seems to be in the nebulous area where it projects itself as being top tier but is still trying to get there internally (at least, the engineering department is). I read a report on the breakdown of law grads in top city firms from a couple years ago where Exeter cropped up a couple times but was not a "regular" appearance like Warwick. If you wanted to practice in a smaller firm in the south generally Exe is probably pretty good (and tbh there plenty of nice places in say, Hampshire you might want to settle down in :P ) but if you want to be a cutthroat city lawyer the Warwick name will probably be the easier route.
There's a gap between Warwick and Exeter even for law. If you can't accept this, it's all up to you and I won't argue with you any further. But there is, whether you agree with me or not, or you like it or not.

As to which campus is nicer, I think that's all subjective.

10 years ago, i would have chosen Exeter easily. But as I see a lot of developments happening at Warwick now, i couldn't say for sure if Exeter looks better than Warwick now and in the future. There's a massive construction development on campus and hundreds of millions of pounds were put in.

Then, of course, if you prefer Exeter, by all means, go for it. But do not say Exeter law is as brilliant as Warwick Law just because you personally prefer it to Warwick law.

I am s student at Warwick, and have been to the Exeter Uni several times. Not only is the Exeter campus much,much better than that of Warwick, the city of Exeter is only a 10 minute walk from the campus. We have to take a 20-30 minute bus to Leamington Spa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending