The Student Room Group

The Direct approach vs the indirect approach - which do you prefer?

When it comes to dating & relationships, approaching and interacting with a member of the opposite sex, there are basically 2 schools of thought - Direct and indirect.

Direct is based on being 100% honest, real and authentic in your dealings with the opposite sex, never playing games, never manipulating anyone. When you approach someone, you let them know right from the start that you find them attractive, and that you're looking for a lover not a friend (not necessarily in those exact words, but you make your intentions clear). You are 100% honest about your intentions. Whatever you are looking for, you let them know, whether you're looking for a monogamous, non-monogamous, serious or not serious, casual sex, short-term, mid-term or long-term relationship. You never lead anyone on. One of the positives of the Direct approach is that it makes you be seen as more as the type of a lover rather than just a friend.

Indirect is the opposite of Direct. It's where you beat about the bush and aren't so honest and upfront and it often involves playing games and manipulating people. When you approach someone indirect, you talk to them in a friendly, platonic sort of way, and don't really reveal your romantic/sexual intentions to them. You never really let them know what type of relationship you're looking for, you just sort of 'float about' having unfocused, friendly conversations. One of the downsides of indirect is that is makes you be seen as more of friend rather than a lover.

I am all for the Direct approach, but I don't like the indirect approach at all.

Girls, would you prefer a guy to be Direct or indirect with you when he approaches you, gets to know you and dates you?
idk, it's difficult to be honest when society judges the type of relationship you want: "Oh you don't want kids? You're gonna be lonely for the rest of your life then?"
It would be great to get more replies to this.
Bit of both. Playing games can be thrilling.
Reply 4
Rufee approach......

I'm joking...Or am I?
Rufee approach?
When you grow to like someone you know without initially planning to get into a relationship, it's inevitably indirect.

In all honesty the result is always the same - rejection. The direct one can at least save you time and save you from developing feelings for the person that'd be hard to overcome - use it if possible.

P.S. I don't agree with the manipulation though - it's not necessary.
Reply 7
B has always worked for me. (Funnier)

Obviously it depends on many things (Attractiveness, time, timing, behaviour, ....)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending