The Student Room Group

Smoking

How can I just stop smoking!

Scroll to see replies

Don't buy cigarettes.
Reply 2
That doesn't help..
My brother buys though:colondollar:
go see your gp for plenty of advice and keep trying many people fall of the wagon before they finally quit
Reply 4
I fell like many times can't count.
why would you even *start* smoking, though?
I do all kinds of substances but what is the benefit in cigarettes?
or if that fails look up the stats of how many people die young or get lung cancer from smoking ( 20 years of smoking directly killed two of my relatives for instance,now theres no smokers in the family)
Vapes, patches, nicotine gum, anything to get you off the tar and carbon monoxide.
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
or if that fails look up the stats of how many people die young or get lung cancer from smoking ( 20 years of smoking directly killed two of my relatives for instance,now theres no smokers in the family)

Am that person that needs to have lung cancer to quit smoking
So I need a good advice though
Original post by TheT3chn1cal
Am that person that needs to have lung cancer to quit smoking
So I need a good advice though

i can understand that, addiction is hard, in the end it took one of my parents dying for the other one to quit. what have you tried so far? maybe reducing what you smoke in a day slowly could work if you ve failed at quiting going cold turkey in the past? or switch to e cigrattes things like that
My doctor stank of smoke the other day... :yucky: yuck not to mention unprofessional. He's one of those trying to be down with the kids and the common people doctors. Rather than doing his job...
I quit it for 2 months once..Reduced it for weeks , then got back to the "old school"
Tried E cigarettes but that doesn't seem right as a cigarettes to me:colondollar:
Original post by timetoella
My doctor stank of smoke the other day... :yucky: yuck not to mention unprofessional. He's one of those trying to be down with the kids and the common people doctors. Rather than doing his job...

you need to get yourself a new gp straight away for sure, health professionals are discouraged from smoking in their uniforms, we re supposed to promote good health and that gp is doing the exact opposite -_-
you need to get yourself a new gp straight away for sure, health professionals are discouraged from smoking in their uniforms, we re supposed to promote good health and that gp is doing the exact opposite -_-
Yeah he's done a few other weird things as well like stick his finger in his mouth in consultation flipping weirdo. It was a home visit that he stank of smoke and he was in his own clothes so... He could argue no uniform. Hmm.
Yeah he's done a few other weird things as well like stick his finger in his mouth in consultation flipping weirdo. It was a home visit that he stank of smoke and he was in his own clothes so... He could argue no uniform. Hmm.

all health professionals have codes, being professional at all times is supposedly part of that but sounds like your gp has missed that
all health professionals have codes, being professional at all times is supposedly part of that but sounds like your gp has missed that
yeah I know he's really quite dodgy tbh he's in his late 40's as well, he's not young which is even more disappointing. I really need to see another GP.
Original post by TheT3chn1cal
I quit it for 2 months once..Reduced it for weeks , then got back to the "old school"
Tried E cigarettes but that doesn't seem right as a cigarettes to me:colondollar:

how about nicotine patches or chewing gums?
yeah I know he's really quite dodgy tbh he's in his late 40's as well, he's not young which is even more disappointing. I really need to see another GP.

you could probably file a complaint for that sort of behaviour from your gp, hes clearly unprofessional and that needs addressing.
you re within your rights to request to have a different gp, tell the reception your uncomfortable with seeing that one.
Reply 18
Gotta figure out what makes you smoke in the first place.

Boredom? Find something else you can do when you feel like smoking.
Feeling sad/angry? Finding something else to help with your emotions.
Social smoking? This is a hard one, and one that I still haven't been able to stop. But try not to go to the smoking area in places, or go out without cigarettes.

Not hanging around with smokers also helps, or telling all your smoker friends that you wanna quit, so they don't ask you to smoke with them and discourage you when you do
Original post by Gott
Lol, both my biology teachers smoke. How can they knowing everything it does to you?
Weird isn't it. it doesn't help that he's creepy and smug as well.

Although Jean Calment or whatever she was called smoked most of her latter years and lived to 122. But that's definitely the exception not the rule and smoking usually causes a lot of problems long term. Equally she wasn't a doctor :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending