The Student Room Group

HELP URGENT!! I want to go university but i'm not sure I should go this year.

Okay so I wanted a place at Bournemouth university to study photography, unfortunately it was my first interview and was really nervous and got declined I still think if it had been my 2nd 3rd interview I would have got that place... My 2nd choice is Nottingham university for photography. I don't want a insurance choice because then I would feel that is my 3rd choice and I don't want that for myself. So I want to choose the university as my firm but i'm worried if things changed would they let me go into clearing. you see at the moment the state of my mental health is in question and in the process in getting some sort of Diagnosis, but I don't have time to wait find out if there is anything wrong with me concerning that So I have a few questions

1) If i accept the firm choice and realize that it would be better to take a gap year to sort my head out and avoid the stresses of uni life would the University let me? So have you heard of instances as where they did not let students take a gap year after confirming there firm place?

2) Will my current college tutor still do a reference for me again after my gap year?

3) How would these University's feel if I reapplied to same the unis again? I would reapply too Bournemouth especially

4) What be the implications of rejecting a firm Choice?
Original post by reditob
Okay so I wanted a place at Bournemouth university to study photography, unfortunately it was my first interview and was really nervous and got declined I still think if it had been my 2nd 3rd interview I would have got that place... My 2nd choice is Nottingham university for photography. I don't want a insurance choice because then I would feel that is my 3rd choice and I don't want that for myself. So I want to choose the university as my firm but i'm worried if things changed would they let me go into clearing. you see at the moment the state of my mental health is in question and in the process in getting some sort of Diagnosis, but I don't have time to wait find out if there is anything wrong with me concerning that So I have a few questions

1) If i accept the firm choice and realize that it would be better to take a gap year to sort my head out and avoid the stresses of uni life would the University let me? So have you heard of instances as where they did not let students take a gap year after confirming there firm place?

2) Will my current college tutor still do a reference for me again after my gap year?

3) How would these University's feel if I reapplied to same the unis again? I would reapply too Bournemouth especially

1) Yes, but it is better to do so as soon as possible after results day so Nottingham can offer your place this year to someone else.

2) Your college should be professional enough to do so, but if in doubt talk to your tutor about it now. If nothing else, they should be able to slightly amend what they wrote this year.

3) Some won't even notice that you are reapplying. If they do, they would just look for improvement. Even universities such as Cambridge are happy to accept people 'second time round'.

4) Can't really think of any as long as you deal with the situation in a timely and courteous manner.

Questions for you...

a) Why won't you consider what you now think is your 'third choice' merely for being third? After all, you did select it in your original five choices.

b) If you get into Nottingham, why would you want them to release you into clearing?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
1) Yes, but it is better to do so as soon as possible after results day so Nottingham can offer your place this year to someone else.

2) Your college should be professional enough to do so, but if in doubt talk to your tutor about it now. If nothing else, they should be able to slightly amend what they wrote this year.

3) Some won't even notice that you are reapplying. If they do, they would just look for improvement. Even universities such as Cambridge are happy to accept people 'second time round'.

4) Can't really think of any as long as you deal with the situation in a timely and courteous manner.
Thank you for your reply it's appreciated!

Questions for you...

a) Why won't you consider what you now think is your 'third choice' merely for being third? After all, you did select it in your original five choices.

b) If you get into Nottingham, why would you want them to release you into clearing?

The truth is that I can't see myself at the other universities that i received offers from So i feel there is no point because of that too have a insurance choice

and I just thought was just procedure that you get automatically go into clearing then go from there.
Original post by reditob

The truth is that I can't see myself at the other universities that i received offers from So i feel there is no point because of that too have a insurance choice

and I just thought was just procedure that you get automatically go into clearing then go from there.

OK.

I was confused because you asked what would happen 'if something changed' would your firm let you go into clearing. If you get rejected by your firm and don't have an insurance then yes, you will go into clearing automatically.
But remember, Clearing is is a bit like the January Sales - and the course you want may not be in Clearing.

My advice would be to withdraw from UCAS, concentrate on getting the best grades you possibly can and applying again in October for 2016 entry. And have a great Gap Year doing something really interesting/worthwhile.
Original post by reditob

They don't do photography, you mean Trent right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reditob

If you can't see yourself taking up your places at the universities you have offers from then decline them...it's a waste of your time and their's to accept an offer you don't really want.

It might be worth contacting Bournemouth again and asking for feedback on why you were rejected. If they say it was because of the interview then (depending on how popular they've been this year) they might be willing to re-interview you if you explain about your nerves first time around. If you have your heart set on Bournemouth (and nowhere else) then it is worth trying every opportunity to get a place.

The worst thing they can say is no - and they've already said that once and you survived :smile:

In summary
Don't accept an offer you have no intention of taking up
Get feedback and see if you can try again via Extra/Clearing with Bournemouth this year before you give up and take a gap year
Hi reditob,

Sorry to hear that you have had a hard time recently, but don't give up! :biggrin:

I'm Chris and I currently study Marketing at Bournemouth. My advice for you would be to keep checking for openings at Bournemouth if your heart is really set on the uni. Maybe talk to someone from college and ask them their opinion and for their advice about your predicament and UCAS extra/clearing.

If you do need to take a gap year out think of all the positives! You can learn how to cook perhaps which will make you very popular with your housemates, you could also save up lots of money which will definitely ease your transition into uni!

As PQ said above you should try and contact Bournemouth and get feedback you can contact askBU here;
Telephone: +44 (0)1202 961916
Email: [email protected]

I hope this has helped! Did you have anything else you wanted advice on?

Thanks - Chris :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending