The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English

are you

Scroll to see replies

No, but I'm extremely proud to be British which is why I voted UKIP.
Reply 2
What's there to be proud of?
Ermm, I wouldn't say I'm necessarily proud to be British - I'm British. That's as far as it goes... I personally don't get why people say they are proud to be British. If I was to do something for Britain, it'd be because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm doing it for Britain if that makes sense :lol:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Gott
Out! :unimpressed:

We are a pretty rubbish nation though...
Original post by Aph

This is possibly the most sensible thing I've ever seen you post!!!
Reply 6
Ofc I am
Reply 7
Original post by Sanctimonious
No, but I'm extremely proud to be British which is why I voted UKIP.

Are you English? proud to be both
Reply 8
Original post by Aph

One of the highest quality of life in the world where immigrants flock to in search of a better life? Free healthcare, social security, excellent history and arts, educational institutions, navy, one of the biggest contributors to developing nations.
Original post by whorace
One of the highest quality of life in the world where immigrants flock to in search of a better life? Free healthcare, social security, excellent history and arts, educational institutions, navy, one of the biggest contributors to developing nations.

We give too much to developing nations...
Reply 10
Original post by mobbsy91
This is possibly the most sensible thing I've ever seen you post!!!

I thought you were ignoring me:erm: and I've always said that we are a pretty rubbish country...
Original post by Gott
Raus!

Whom might that be prey tell?
Reply 11
Original post by mobbsy91
We give too much to developing nations...

So we should be proud of being selfless then.
Original post by Aph
I thought you were ignoring me:erm: and I've always said that we are a pretty rubbish country...

Whom might that be prey tell?

Oh, don't worry, I am ignoring comments which are ludicrous :tongue: but when I see such a sensible comment about this being a **** country, I had to agree with you for once - savour this moment. It'll probably never come again :wink:
Original post by whorace
So we should be proud of being selfless then.

I wasn't saying in response to about being proud, I was just simple stating that I think we give too much to other countries (a bit off topic!)
Original post by UKIProud
Are you English? proud to be both

I am Welsh but I've voted UKIP. I have common sense. Also, UKIP want to rejuvenate the coal industry which will create jobs in Wales and whilst its not the healthiest or safest of jobs, neither is asbestos removal, being an electrician or underwater welding. If someone is willing to do the job and take the risk that is up to them. Labour has failed Wales and that alone should be the biggest wake up call to any English person considering voting for them.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9258441/the-policies-that-have-wrecked-wales-coming-soon-to-a-miliband-government-near-you/
Reply 14
Original post by whorace

I don't disagree, but that's not something to be proud of... If we had spread it globally then yes but even still. I mean why be proud of things other people have done when the only thing that connects us is that we happened to live in the same arbitrary bit of land we call the UK. I don't really like country's because they are just groups of people arbitrarily grouped together. Just because I was born in one bit of land an not the other it doesn't mean I should be proud of the bit of land I was born in:erm:
Reply 15
Original post by Aph
I don't disagree, but that's not something to be proud of... If we had spread it globally then yes but even still. I mean why be proud of things other people have done when the only thing that connects us is that we happened to live in the same arbitrary bit of land we call the UK. I don't really like country's because they are just groups of people arbitrarily grouped together. Just because I was born in one bit of land an not the other it doesn't mean I should be proud of the bit of land I was born in:erm:

That's because it's the age of the liberal. Our ancestors had to rely on each other far more, and therefore accomplishments were often shared.
Reply 16
Original post by Gott
You mean 'Who might that be?' Lol

No....
Reply 17
Nope. Being English is something that happened to me. That kind of pride is cheap and anyone can buy it. Better to have pride in what you do.
Reply 18
Original post by miser
Nope. Being English is something that happened to me. That kind of pride is cheap.

And there is the difference. Our ancestors didn't just take credit for other peoples work... they seriously contributed to their nation and were therefore proud of it, since it was the sum of the collective. It was fine for a soldier to be proud that they won the war for example, obviously they didn't do it themselves but they played a part.
Original post by miser
Nope. Being English is something that happened to me. That kind of pride is cheap and anyone can buy it. Better to have pride in what you do.

+1

Quick Reply

Latest