The Student Room Group

How to get over a terrible exam I just did?

I just did my IGCSE English Language paper and felt really prepared as in the past I've usually worked well under the timed conditions and gotten a A* for most exam papers I did.

However I felt really under pressure today and was struggling with the time limit. I didn't finish a 10 mark question and one of the 3 questions was awfully written! I feel really angry at myself for not doing my best.

How do I move on and get over how bad I think I did in this first and very important exam? I still have 22 left to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only did half of question 2 and I'm not sure how I did with 1 or 3 either, I know how you feel but you gotta just move on,,, if you do well with the one on Friday,,, then you can seriously bump up your grade,,, good luc
Reply 2
Real exam?

It's done now, so just focus on your upcoming exams :bigsmile:
Just try to learn from it and use it to motivate yourself for the other exams. It's not really your fault - it was your first exam, which can often be the hardest. You know what it feels like to be in the exam hall and under pressure, hopefully by the next one you'll have been used to it.
That's life. You win some, you lose some. Worrying about it now won't achieve anything.

By the way, it isn't really that important of an exam.
Just to give you some comfort, I thought I did terrible in my english language re-sit and then I came out with an A... at the end of the day, you have 22 to more to go so don't let it get you down, surprisingly many people may be feeling the same way you are right now although it may not seem like it atm
Reply 6
Don't worry about it just focus on future examinations now, also having taken the exam too I thought question 1 wasn't totally straightforward and I would expect the grade boundaries to be a little lower. Also Q2 carries the least amount of marks out of the 3 so it's better you didn't finish that one rather than one of the other 2. If you are doing coursework you probably already have an idea of what grade you are looking at, if you are like me and doing the p3 language exam on Friday then focus on that as you can probably bump up your overall grade for language significantly.

You need to let it go so that even if you don't get the grade you expected for it, it doesn't influence your other exams. If you have consistently got A*'s in practise papers its unlikely that you did as badly as you think, probably just that it's a little lower than the standard you have done in the papers and this is quite natural and will be the case for nearly everyone.
Reply 7
Thanks so much guys! You cheered me up

I got a low A* in my coursework, 25/30 for oral and 49/50 for written coursework. If anyone can tell me how many marks I needed to get an A* and an A with these marks for coursework, I would really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
everyone's biggest critic is themselves
My philosophy during exam period was always to look at the positives of having an exams. You can either view exams as these awful things there to catch you out, or you can think of them more as an opportunity to show the examiner what you can do, and in my opinion if you take the latter approach you will find it easier to cope with the stress of exams. Also always be positive, think of what went well not badly and it may also be nice to remember that once this is all over you will have a nice long summer to relax. Good luck with the rest of your exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tibz101
I just did my IGCSE English Language paper and felt really prepared as i worked well under the timed conditions and got around A* for most exam papers I did. I feel really angry at myself for not doing my best.

You felt prepared going into the exam but coming out of it you felt you didn't do your best - but surely if you prepared for it as best you could, you did well under the circumstances?

I can guarantee you aren't the first person to leave an exam feeling this way and you won't be the last.
Reply 11
Original post by samb1234
My philosophy during exam period was always to look at the positives of having an exams. You can either view exams as these awful things there to catch you out, or you can think of them more as an opportunity to show the examiner what you can do, and in my opinion if you take the latter approach you will find it easier to cope with the stress of exams. Also always be positive, think of what went well not badly and it may also be nice to remember that once this is all over you will have a nice long summer to relax. Good luck with the rest of your exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for sharing that, I feel a lot more positive hearing that. I'll definitely remember that in future exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by HannahMFO
You felt prepared going into the exam but coming out of it you felt you didn't do your best - but surely if you prepared for it as best you could, you did well under the circumstances?

I can guarantee you aren't the first person to leave an exam feeling this way and you won't be the last.

That's very true; I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself, I think that's why. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by tibz101
Thanks so much guys! You cheered me up

I got a low A* in my coursework, 25/30 for oral and 49/50 for written coursework. If anyone can tell me how many marks I needed to get an A* and an A with these marks for coursework, I would really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll need to get 86% or above in the exam itself :colondollar:
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tibz101
I just did my IGCSE English Language paper and felt really prepared as in the past I've usually worked well under the timed conditions and gotten a A* for most exam papers I did.

However I felt really under pressure today and was struggling with the time limit. I didn't finish a 10 mark question and one of the 3 questions was awfully written! I feel really angry at myself for not doing my best.

How do I move on and get over how bad I think I did in this first and very important exam? I still have 22 left to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sucks :frown: But nonetheless we still have Friday's exam. Even if you got like 34/50 today, if you could get like 46/50 on friday you could still get an A* overall, plus things always seem worse in your head
Reply 16
Original post by JuliaM1998
That sucks :frown: But nonetheless we still have Friday's exam. Even if you got like 34/50 today, if you could get like 46/50 on friday you could still get an A* overall, plus things always seem worse in your head

That's it now. I don't have another Language exam. I think we're doing different specs, mine is 0522 First Language English CIE IGCSE :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tibz101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! which question did you feel was worded badly? with the grades you've mentioned I think roughly 43 will be an A* - but it could be well less ! Don't stress about it at all - it's now out of everyone's hands and the best thing we can do is focus on exams to come (plenty of them :biggrin:)
Suck it up and move on.

Theres NOTHING you can do to change what happened.

LEARN from this, and dont let it sabotage your future exams. Cut it dead and forget about it, put it down to first time stress. Focus on your next exams. 1 ****ty grade and 22 good ones will be certainly better than 20 ****ty grades because you was moping over your poor first one.

On a more positive note, if you normally get A*'s and think you did crap, chances are you're only gonna drop down to a low B or something as a worse case scenario. Examiners realise you're under stress, and will take that into account. It always seem more raw when you've come out and messed up, you catastrophise the whole thing. I've taken so many exams, and the ones I come out thinking I messed up, and its never as bad as I imagined in the end.
Hey I'm in the same boat as you!! Literally effed up my paper today, sooooo not confident with the mark I got :frown: I got an A* in the mocks, and A* in my coursework so I hope that it will overall even out to a B or an A

Literally just focus on your other exams. What's done is done. You probably didn't even do that bad! I came out of my mocks absolutely hating life because I thought I had messed it up terribly and i got an A* so you probably did better than you thought!!

Quick Reply

Latest