The Student Room Group

So, there's being cut up, and then there's THIS.

Today in my driving lesson today, I was on a complex junction just before a roundabout. It was a tricky one. I had to keep in the left lane whilst there were three other lanes to enter the roundabout. This was a MANY-lane roundabout that you find on a dual carriageway, so traffic was moving pretty damn fast.

So on the approach to the roundabout, I kept in the left-most lane as I was about to turn left on this huge complex roundabout. So I had slowed to about 20mph by now and I was in second gear, fine and dandy, started looking on the roundabout, when SUDDENLY...

This arrogant incompetent ÁSSHOLE van DIVES RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. And when I mean close, I mean, TWO FEET. My bumper was TWO FEET from the side of his van. My instructor had to use the dual controls for the first time in eons and slam the break along with me and a little swerve to do a grinding emergency stop. We managed to stop inches from the van.

This van obviously did not care for other road users, was probably unlicensed, and obviously didn't check his mirrors at all. He didn't even signal. He probably just realised he was in the wrong lane and decided to dive into the correct one, not giving two ****s about the terrified learner behind him, or any other cars.

I have NEVER had such a close near-crash before. If not for my instructor, I would have crashed.

I can't believe this happened to me. I never see anyone do this to anyone else. It was so bad my instructor asked me if I wanted to pull over for a breather, but I declined and carried on with the driving.

But I guess I was due for my first meeting with an incompetent toolbag, after all, I've been driving nine months now, and many of my classmates have already had their first crash, and they haven't been driving much longer than me.

Is it normal to be cut up THIS BAD? Or was I just extremely unlucky? (to be fair, the roads threw EVERYTHING at me today).

TL;DR - Read it all god damnit >.<
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
na cba
Original post by Dinaa
na cba

There was absolutely no point for you to reply. If you haven't got something meaningful to say, don't post it on my thread tyvm.
Reply 3
Original post by Minecraft27
There was absolutely no point for you to reply. If you haven't got something meaningful to say, don't post it on my thread tyvm.

I will :console: though :smile:
Although you were unlucky to get cut up it happens fairly regularly, especially in built up areas. Anyway you're required to be able to react to dangerous situations for you're test which is why you'll normally be asked to do an emergency stop so I wouldn't worry about it too much as you're reacted correctly and managed to avoid a crash.
In england, by van drivers?
Yes, very common

Posted from TSR Mobile
White van drivers only use their mirrors to do their makeup.
Reply 7
Van drivers are the worst drivers..
Reply 8

This arrogant incompetent ÁSSHOLE van DIVES RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

You had me at Van. Yes, Ive experienced that most vans do that. I'm sorry you had to go through this terrifying experience. You will have to learn to think smart on the road when you pass, so that you can drive extra careful around them (especially the white vans that look dodgy). But normally other drivers don't do that. And well done for driving through such a hard roundabout, those can be pretty terrifying!
Original post by tuly92
You had me at Van. Yes, Ive experienced that most vans do that. I'm sorry you had to go through this terrifying experience. You will have to learn to think smart on the road when you pass, so that you can drive extra careful around them (especially the white vans that look dodgy). But normally other drivers don't do that. And well done for driving through such a hard roundabout, those can be pretty terrifying!

I have actually been cut up by several vans, but none have been anything NEAR this close. My second closest encounter was probably when I ended up 10 feet from the van when he pulled out. I was less experienced then and I forgot the clutch and the car stalled.

But THIS was a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. That was on a quiet road. THIS was on a dual carriageway roundabout where people go all hell out.
TWO idiots in one day. Must be a god-damn record.

I just went for another drive, and on the way back, on my road, idiot reverses out of the driveway, making me do a FULL-ON swerve. Seriously. Does ANYONE check their mirrors these days?! The roads have thrown absolutely everything at me today. Loads of other stuff, such as horrible meeting situations etc.

Oh yeah, I was also cut up at a mini-roundabout today when the person to my left decided to go for WHATEVER reason, so make that THREE.
(edited 8 years ago)
He will have had a licence but like many other people on the road they don't care. Vans do this quite often. In fact drivers in general do this often, after you pass you'll have days on the road where it's just one idiot after another, and then you'll have days where you don't really notice much.

Honestly after you pass incidents like this happen really quite often, but because you are so used to them they don't shock you the same because you are always aware that they might do it, or you usually notice small signs that someone might do something stupid.

Nothing shocks me anymore
On the roads. I once witnessed someone reverse on the roundabout because they missed their exit. Literally nothing shocks me.
TWO idiots in one day. Must be a god-damn record.

I just went for another drive, and on the way back, on my road, idiot reverses out of the driveway, making me do a FULL-ON swerve. Seriously. Does ANYONE check their mirrors these days?! The roads have thrown absolutely everything at me today. Loads of other stuff, such as horrible meeting situations etc.

Oh yeah, I was also cut up at a mini-roundabout today when the person to my left decided to go for WHATEVER reason, so make that THREE.

Yep. It's rubbish. But two in a day isn't a record, as I said before you'll have days where it's just one thing after another. I would still rather drive though, so keep up the good work! 😂
Original post by Beanss123
Yep. It's rubbish. But two in a day isn't a record, as I said before you'll have days where it's just one thing after another. I would still rather drive though, so keep up the good work! ������

The roads have gone MAD lately, just throwing situation after situation at me!
Reply 14
There are some pretty idiotic drivers out there, unfortunately, and that's why not only have you got to drive safe but you've got to be vigilant about those stupid drivers around you. Once you've been on the road for a bit, you'll be able to spot those kinds of drivers and just try to avoid them as much as possible.

Last weekend it was a match day and I was on this really busy road near Old Trafford and I changed lanes. The lane I was switching to was completely clear, I signalled in advance, checked my mirrors and even did a check of my blind spot - all clear. Then, as I was changing lanes this Mercedes sports car comes out of nowhere absolutely flooring it and either didn't see me switching into the lane he was in or thought he was going so fast he could beat me, bearing in mind I was already merging into the lane and was halfway there. The idiot had to swerve into the pavement to avoid crashing into me and that was probably the closest I've come to an accident.

So bear in mind, it's not only van drivers that are dodgy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
People are pillocks on the road, get used to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
You haven't met the lorries yet.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
You haven't met the lorries yet.

I've seen lorries but they've never cut me up. Though there have been times when it REALLY LOOKED LIKE they were going to.
Today in my driving lesson today, I was on a complex junction just before a roundabout. It was a tricky one. I had to keep in the left lane whilst there were three other lanes to enter the roundabout. This was a MANY-lane roundabout that you find on a dual carriageway, so traffic was moving pretty damn fast.

So on the approach to the roundabout, I kept in the left-most lane as I was about to turn left on this huge complex roundabout. So I had slowed to about 20mph by now and I was in second gear, fine and dandy, started looking on the roundabout, when SUDDENLY...

This arrogant incompetent ÁSSHOLE van DIVES RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. And when I mean close, I mean, TWO FEET. My bumper was TWO FEET from the side of his van. My instructor had to use the dual controls for the first time in eons and slam the break along with me and a little swerve to do a grinding emergency stop. We managed to stop inches from the van.

This van obviously did not care for other road users, was probably unlicensed, and obviously didn't check his mirrors at all. He didn't even signal. He probably just realised he was in the wrong lane and decided to dive into the correct one, not giving two ****s about the terrified learner behind him, or any other cars.

I have NEVER had such a close near-crash before. If not for my instructor, I would have crashed.

I can't believe this happened to me. I never see anyone do this to anyone else. It was so bad my instructor asked me if I wanted to pull over for a breather, but I declined and carried on with the driving.

But I guess I was due for my first meeting with an incompetent toolbag, after all, I've been driving nine months now, and many of my classmates have already had their first crash, and they haven't been driving much longer than me.

Is it normal to be cut up THIS BAD? Or was I just extremely unlucky? (to be fair, the roads threw EVERYTHING at me today).

TL;DR - Read it all god damnit >.<

Meh it's usual. Especially on these busy roundabouts. When you pass and drive daily you'll be a lot more cautious about this because you'll have your own pride and joy to look after (your car).
You was a bit unlucky he done it so harshly and so close to you, but lots of van drivers don't give a toss because it's the companies van and companies insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've seen lorries but they've never cut me up. Though there have been times when it REALLY LOOKED LIKE they were going to.

I met idiot of the road dismorning, approaching a busy A road off a slip, car wouldn't slow down to let me in so I went right to the end of the slip road to try and pass them, they sped up I had to slow right down to 30mph to stop going into the side of them!! They just refused to let me in. Arghhh

Right after that they moved into the right lane. It's common knowledge that if there are cars coming off the slip road and its busy you move to the right or slow down to let them come in! I was indicating on approach to!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending