The Student Room Group

Who is everyone voting for and why?

As someone who's deciding not to vote I'm curious who other people are voting for and why. I'm not voting because I feel it'd be irresponsible considering I haven't taken the time to look into the parties to find which one I agree with.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllieC130
As someone who's deciding not to vote I'm curious who other people are voting for and why. I'm not voting because I feel it'd be irresponsible considering I haven't taken the time to look into the parties to find which one I agree with.

Is that not irresponsible?
Reply 2
It really doesn't take long to see the different parties apart in their views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's still time to look them all up and make up your mind if you're registered to vote :yep: . There's plenty on the Internet to help you as well :h:
Who stands for what there's even a TSR link about it. If you're registered then it would be wise of you to vote

Same reasons here too. Though I'm leaning towards labour. But I'm in a labour stronghold so I don't think it'll matter if I vote.

Kudos to you, that is intellectual consistency at its finest. Abstention or declining to vote are everyone's democratic right, it is a myth that falling participation levels are a problem and that people can do with encouragement to go cast a vote on someone just for the sake of it.

Really, what good do the votes of ill-informed people do to the democratic system? Look at the rise of the Greens, isn't it frightening?
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Is that not irresponsible?

She said she's not voting because she doesn't know enough about it to reasonably do so. Seems fair enough to me. Much better than e.g. voting Labour because "Cameron's a knobhead".
Original post by xDave-
She said she's not voting because she doesn't know enough about it to reasonably do so. Seems fair enough to me. Much better than e.g. voting Labour because "Cameron's a knobhead".

"I haven't taken the time to look"

That is what I was referring to.

Why does everyone assume all ill informed voters vote labour? Works both ways, don't kid yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"I haven't taken the time to look"

That is what I was referring to.

Why does everyone assume all ill informed voters vote labour? Works both ways, don't kid yourself.

That's only irresponsible if you're voting, which she is not doing.

I didn't say anything about all ill informed voters voting labour. You've decided that's what I said yourself.
Reply 10
Of course the majority of the people on this forum will either buy into the hypocritical lies of the Labour party or the laughable idealism of the Green party but me and a small number of people on this forum would support UKIP because we believe Britain deserves more and needs more and needs politicians which actually have common sense, that have worked in a job outside of politics, that are normal people and that have policies that can be implemented which will clearly benefit the UK in the long term instead of the short term fixes of kicking the can down the road for party gain instead of Britain's gain.

Love Britain vote UKIP.
Conservatives are the only viable option for the UK - the job is half done and a change now would be inept.
Reply 12
Original post by Gazzaaa
Conservatives are the only viable option for the UK - the job is half done and a change now would be inept.

That must be why the national debt has doubled? And that must be why immigration net last year was at 298,000?

This is a quick way of seeing who stands for what on the key issues: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/manifesto-guide
Labour cause Russell Brand told me innit

Spoiler

Original post by William Pitt
Not really, I cannot vote I'm Finnish

Thank god for that
Original post by NormiesOut
Thank god for that

I do genuinely like Ed though, as I like all the Miliband family in general.
Green party. I don't think they should lead but might be good to see them in a coalition. I'd vote labour but really not keen on Edd Miliband
Not decided yet, probably won't until I'm at the polling station with ballot paper in hand. I know enough about politics to know what each major party stands for as well as having opinions on these things. I don't, however, have strong convictions one way or another and this presents a problem when selection who to vote for.

There are four candidates in my constituency: Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP. I've discounted UKIP and LDs. I'm not wild about the Conservatives or Labour for various reasons so it will be a vote for the one I dislike least.

I don't believe in not voting at all - I consider it my duty to participate in our democracy.

I've also considered writing NONE on the ballot to make it clear that I don't particularly like any of the options.
Original post by Manitude
Not decided yet, probably won't until I'm at the polling station with ballot paper in hand. I know enough about politics to know what each major party stands for as well as having opinions on these things. I don't, however, have strong convictions one way or another and this presents a problem when selection who to vote for.

There are four candidates in my constituency: Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP. I've discounted UKIP and LDs. I'm not wild about the Conservatives or Labour for various reasons so it will be a vote for the one I dislike least.

I don't believe in not voting at all - I consider it my duty to participate in our democracy.

I've also considered writing NONE on the ballot to make it clear that I don't particularly like any of the options.

If forced vote for UKIP or at least the liberals, don't continue to support those dying parties who represent nobody

Quick Reply