The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry Complex Ions

If I have a [Cu(Cl)4]^2- complex ion and I add silver nitrate, is the white precipitate that forms AgCl and the solution will turn blue due to [Cu(H2O)6]^2+ complex ion forming?

Is it possible for the silver to remove the chlorine in this way, from the complex? The same solution reacted with Barium Chloride to give a white precipitate and blue solution. Would you say it is ligand substitution taking place here and the precipitate is barium sulphate?

I'm just not sure about the complex with chlorine and wether the silver removes the chlorine this way. If it does would it be right to guess that the original solution is aqueous copper sulphate but with conc HCl added for the chlorine ligand to form?
Reply 1
Yes I think you're right. It would be a ligand substitution cause the ligand is changing, and the original solution would probably be copper sulphate.

is this a past paper question?
Reply 2
Original post by P1910
If I have a [Cu(Cl)4]^2- complex ion and I add silver nitrate, is the white precipitate that forms AgCl and the solution will turn blue due to [Cu(H2O)6]^2+ complex ion forming?

Is it possible for the silver to remove the chlorine in this way, from the complex? The same solution reacted with Barium Chloride to give a white precipitate and blue solution. Would you say it is ligand substitution taking place here and the precipitate is barium sulphate?

I'm just not sure about the complex with chlorine and wether the silver removes the chlorine this way. If it does would it be right to guess that the original solution is aqueous copper sulphate but with conc HCl added for the chlorine ligand to form?

Is that from the EMP@?? because i would really like to hear more of your queries if this is the case. i wrote it like that because the TSR dont like talk of these exams. so do the same or PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest