The Student Room Group

HELP! Broadcast Journalism at Leeds VS Nottingham Trent

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by clare97
Hi!

I received offers for Broadcast Journalism (deferred entry for 2016) at Leeds (AAB), Nottingham Trent (ABB), Bournemouth (ABB), and West London (BCC). I'm forecast AAAB this summer.
Currently my two favourite are Leeds and Nottingham but I can't choose which to put as my firm!!!!
If I put Leeds first then of course Nottingham Trent would be insurance, and if I put Nottingham Trent first then I would either go without an insurance or perhaps put Bournemouth down (which I haven't visited but has a good reputation for its media department).

There's pros and cons to both: Leeds is more academic as a Russell Group uni, there was a lot of flexibility in that I could choose a variety of different modules in the second and third year which really interested me, they had a massive list of previous employers upon graduation, the accommodation was generally better, I loved the city, and it's in the 'hub' of the media industry which is beneficial, also I loved the campus and its location. However, I live in Essex so it's further away (3-4hour drive), and the facilities were good but not the best.
Nottingham Trent doesn't have the academic reputation of Leeds but is still regarded highly (from what I've heard about its art department anyway), the buildings and facilities were so much newer and consequently of a higher standard. Whilst the course is a lot more structured at NT they have their own TV channel and they're a lot more hands on in that they do regular news days, and again I loved the city and from what I saw of the campus it was nice, plus it's nearer to home (2hours drive). However the accommodation was not as consistently nice, they didn't give as much detailed info on graduate employers (but they spoke well and gave a few company names such as the BBC/C4/Sky/etc), alongside the fact it is not as academically valued as Leeds. But I've heard Nottingham is a nicer city than Leeds so I'm not sure.

If anyone has any advice, goes to/has been to either uni or studied Broadcast Journalism, I would be really grateful to hear your opinion!!!
I have until 6pm tomorrow and I am just so stuck :frown:

Hi Clare,

I did my BA in Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth Uni 2007-2010, and I'm currently back there doing an MA. Perhaps you should consider BU as an alternative, as a lot of your concerns about accommodation and reputation are all really good here at BU.
When I started 8 years ago (yikes!), they had just built a multi-million pound TV studio, which I still think is one of the coolest parts of the uni. They have also recently refurbished all the halls, so it looks really really nice now.

The Media School at BU has an international reputation, and a lot of my friends from the BA in Multimedia Journalism have gone on to work as editors for national magazines, or reporters for Reuters, the BBC and places like the New York Times.

I've loved it here, plus there's the beach nearby, which is always a bonus!
Do let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending