The Student Room Group

NYT Audition Monologue Help

Hi! I'm considering an audition for the National Youth Theatre, and was wondering about the limits on audition pieces. What I really want to do is this speech from Wuthering Heights- it took me around a minute and a half to act out:
Catherine Earnshaw, From "Wuthering Heights""I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning; my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff he's always, always in my mind not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself but as my own being so, don't talk of our separation again it is impracticable. "
I feel like it showcases my emotional diversity and that I understand the nuances of the piece well, so it would be appropriate for the audition.
however, I don't know if it's the acceptable length or even if it counts as a monologue as it is not from a play but from a book.
any guidance on this matter would be very much appreciated- from plain information to alternative suggestions for my piece if this isn't a good idea.
for background- I will be 15 going on 16 when I audition and am female.
thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending