The Student Room Group

WHO took maths and further maths both in year 12

I need to know who took those subjects alongside each other , the first year of AS and i would like to know how they found it ,difficulty wise.
Reply 1
Original post by shwansalah
I need to know who took those subjects alongside each other , the first year of AS and i would like to know how they found it ,difficulty wise.

I did
It was not bad but next year will have all the hardcore modules so :dontknow:
A few problems is doing FP1 at the same time with C1 and encountering topics which assume C2 knowledge
But that makes C2 a breeze afterward so I'm not complaining

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by C0balt
I did
It was not bad but next year will have all the hardcore modules so :dontknow:
A few problems is doing FP1 at the same time with C1 and encountering topics which assume C2 knowledge
But that makes C2 a breeze afterward so I'm not complaining

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you recommend taking maths in year 12, then further in year 13?
Reply 3
At first I found further maths AS a bit challenging however later on during the year I felt much more comfortable with it. FP1 won't ease you in into A level maths like C1 will but once you get used to A level it isn't too bad as long as you read over notes, practice questions etc. As a reference point for you I did additional maths during GCSE and got a B which reduced the jump to AS a lot. If you can get A* maths GCSE you should be fine with further maths as long as you don't take it too likely.
Reply 4
do you recommend taking maths in year 12, then further in year 13?

First year will be quite hard but you will do all the modules in a logical order so you shouldn't have to deal with the jumping ahead problem you would get if you did Maths and FM simultaneously in year 12.
You will also be able to appreciate all the concepts in FP modules with full knowledge of Core modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
SO i am likely to get a higher grade if i take further maths FOR A2 , not for AS, correct?
Reply 6
SO i am likely to get a higher grade if i take further maths FOR A2 , not for AS, correct?

You are likely to get a higher grade for AS if you took both simultaneously in Y12 because all the modules are easy. But you will have 6 very hard modules in Y13.
However as I said doing one after another is a more logical way and will get a better appreciation for the concepts. year 12 will be significantly harder this way than doing simultaneously though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by C0balt
You are likely to get a higher grade for AS if you took both simultaneously in Y12 because all the modules are easy. But you will have 6 very hard modules in Y13.
However as I said doing one after another is a more logical way and will get a better appreciation for the concepts. year 12 will be significantly harder this way than doing simultaneously though

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah but then those hard modules will be more likely to lower my grades, would it not in year 13?
Reply 8
yeah but then those hard modules will be more likely to lower my grades, would it not in year 13?

I am not sure as I am just about to finish year 12
But yeah the difficulty is heavily on year 13 if you do simultaneously from what I hear from my y13 friends
Difficulty with one after another is more distributed evenly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by C0balt
I am not sure as I am just about to finish year 12
But yeah the difficulty is heavily on year 13 if you do simultaneously from what I hear from my y13 friends
Difficulty with one after another is more distributed evenly

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you take further only for A2 , what do they base the predicted grades on? Maths?
Reply 10
if you take further only for A2 , what do they base the predicted grades on? Maths?

Idk maybe depends on the school
My friend didn't do FM in AS so he's doing full A2 in Y13 and he said he didn't have prediction because he didn't take it in Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by C0balt
Idk maybe depends on the school
My friend didn't do FM in AS so he's doing full A2 in Y13 and he said he didn't have prediction because he didn't take it in Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can he apply for uni without a predicted grade?
Reply 12
Its better if you can do the standard maths a-level in first year and fm in second year. That way when you apply to uni, its a lot easier to get offers because you already have an a-level under your belt. It also spreads out the difficulty so your second year won't be as tough.
Reply 13
Original post by vela1
Its better if you can do the standard maths a-level in first year and fm in second year. That way when you apply to uni, its a lot easier to get offers because you already have an a-level under your belt. It also spreads out the difficulty so your second year won't be as tough.

ok sorry, i don't understand, an offer is given based on the predicted grades , am i correct? If people haven't done further maths for AS, how do they make the prediction
Reply 14
ok sorry, i don't understand, an offer is given based on the predicted grades , am i correct? If people haven't done further maths for AS, how do they make the prediction

Good point, not sure how it'd work exactly. I'm guessing if you get an A* for standard maths then it'd show you can get A/A* in fm so would be predicted that? Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.
Reply 15
and if the conservatives win the election, by the time i do a-levels , since AS will be de coupled from A2, that would mean i have no choice but to take maths , further maths along side each other for year 12 and 13, including all the hard a-level modules for further maths!! I hope to God I got this wrong or else i'm praying for labour to win.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I took fast-track maths on MEI OCR
First year we do C1 C2 S1 (AS-LEVEL for maths) and D1 and FP1. We leave M1 to next year so at the end we get an A-Level in maths and an AS-level in further maths
I'm doing this currently with another 3 AS-levels
It's really not hard, i managed to learn FP1 in a week by just going through the book and a few past papers
I can't imagine that further-maths is too much harder as i assume that you would get a lot more time for it

Quick Reply

Latest