The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The white women with a veil

Hi I just want to share with all of you something personal that still, a year later bothers me .
I don't live in England or in Britain, but last year, in the first half of 2014 I lived a few months in England.Now I have always loved and admired England and the English people.England has given so much to humanity, culturally and scientifically, It's hard to find I think another nation that has contributed so much to the advancement and betterment of the human race.For instance England was the first modern democracy. And also the industrial revolution started in England.And I always loved reading and exploring about English history, about all the kings and queens of England, and so on.And I think because of that reason, because of the fact, that more than a lot of other people, I admired England and the English culture and people, because of that very reason, my heart was so devastatingly broken by the England I actually saw and experienced.It was very depressing for me to walk the streets and see the endless women in muslim veils, and when seeing all those veiled women walking the streets, and as someone who is very much familiar with English history, I always thought to myself what would have great English men and women from the past, like queen Victoria or Winston Churchill,thought about Would they have recognized this England as their own?. The country whom they fought for and loved so but perhaps the most depressing and heart breaking sight of all for me personally as a life long admirer of England and the English people, was seeing white English women with veils. It was as if seeing a cat talk or water pouring upwards, in other words, something that defies imagination or logic.
I had to pinch myself, because I could simply not believe what I was seeing with my eyes.the only thing I could think to myself was howa woman born to such a noble and great group, with such a rich and accomplished history as the English, can discard all that in one moment, and put a veil on her head, with all that means and entails.
And in that moment I could only be happy in my heart for one thing. That queen Victoria and Winston Churchill and all the other great English men and women of the past, are indeed long dead, and so cannot see the England that I saw.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Potangosmit
Hi I just want to share with all of you something personal that still, a year later bothers me .
I don't live in England or in Britain, but last year, in the first half of 2014 I lived a few months in England.Now I have always loved and admired England and the English people.England has given so much to humanity, culturally and scientifically, It's hard to find I think another nation that has contributed so much to the advancement and betterment of the human race.For instance England was the first modern democracy. And also the industrial revolution started in England.And I always loved reading and exploring about English history, about all the kings and queens of England, and so on.And I think because of that reason, because of the fact, that more than a lot of other people, I admired England and the English culture and people, because of that very reason, my heart was so devastatingly broken by the England I actually saw and experienced.It was very depressing for me to walk the streets and see the endless women in muslim veils, and when seeing all those veiled women walking the streets, and as someone who is very much familiar with English history, I always thought to myself what would have great English men and women from the past, like queen Victoria or Winston Churchill,thought about Would they have recognized this England as their own?. The country whom they fought for and loved so but perhaps the most depressing and heart breaking sight of all for me personally as a life long admirer of England and the English people, was seeing white English women with veils. It was as if seeing a cat talk or water pouring upwards, in other words, something that defies imagination or logic.
I had to pinch myself, because I could simply not believe what I was seeing with my eyes.the only thing I could think to myself was howa woman born to such a noble and great group, with such a rich and accomplished history as the English, can discard all that in one moment, and put a veil on her head, with all that means and entails.
And in that moment I could only be happy in my heart for one thing. That queen Victoria and Winston Churchill and all the other great English men and women of the past, are indeed long dead, and so cannot see the England that I saw.

I knew one white girl who went Muslim. She was not very intelligent and it was for a boyfriend. She thought it was the answer to everything. She started coming out with these pseudo-explanations to everything that were clearly not based on understanding. And I am assessing this as someone who believes in God as opposed to an atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by CycleofSpin
I knew one white girl who went Muslim. She was not very intelligent and it was for a boyfriend. She thought it was the answer to everything. She started coming out with these pseudo-explanations to everything that were clearly not based on understanding. And I am assessing this as someone who believes in God as opposed to an atheist. Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think most of them do it for their
boyfrienf/ husband. But still it doesn't make it any better. I think that most of them are unintelligent, because I want to believe that an Intelligent girl will never do that, because she understands what I described in my original post.

And the fact that you, a random replier to this post, know 1 white girl who turned islamic, speaks of the scale of this phenomena.
i read somewhere that over 100,000 white british women coverted to islam in the last decade alone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CycleofSpin
I knew one white girl who went Muslim. She was not very intelligent and it was for a boyfriend. She thought it was the answer to everything. She started coming out with these pseudo-explanations to everything that were clearly not based on understanding. And I am assessing this as someone who believes in God as opposed to an atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't get why people change religions for their partner, religion is such a huge thing to change/ follow.
Reply 4
Original post by CrimsonRainDrops
I really don't get why people change religions for their partner, religion is such a huge thing to change/ follow.

Yeah, me too.
personally, I think they are just not strong- willed enough to stand for their own ​beliefs. And intelligence also plays a part here of course.
Reply 5
Time change. It isn't necessarily a sign of things being wrong. If someone decides to wear a batman costume or a niqab I don't care as it's none of my business.
Reply 6
times have changed get with it
also i dont know why you admire england so much we're a ****ing cancerous society who are ****ing up the world (and always have) - i mean we created north america- i think we should be held pretty accountable for that alone.

the only thing i love about where i live (london) is the diversity.. without that the whole country's a piece of ****
Reply 7
Original post by hdindak
times have changed get with italso i dont know why you admire england so much we're a ****ing cancerous society who are ****ing up the world (and always have) - i mean we created north america- i think we should be held pretty accountable for that alone.the only thing i love about where i live (london) is the diversity.. without that the whole country's a piece of ****

I understand that times change of course. I didnot expect to come to England and see people with 17th century wigs riding on horseback.
But one hopes that as time progress, humanity actually advances and not reverts back.
to me, and I hope to a lot of others as well, when a white English woman wears the veil, it's as if she destroys in one monent everything her ancestors worked so hard for for thousands of years, namely advancing humanity,and also womans rights of course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I understand that times change of course. I didnot expect to come to England and see people with 17th century wigs riding on horseback.
But one hopes that as time progress, humanity actually advances and not reverts back.
to me, and I hope to a lot of others as well, when a white English woman wears the veil, it's as if she destroys in one monent everything her ancestors worked so hard for , namely advancing humanity,and also womans rights of course.

Well that is your opinion, which of course you are entitled to. On the other hand, a caucasian woman deciding to wear a veil is a sign of tolerance within society, and despite the best efforts of some plonkers I am very glad I live in a nation that accepts people's choices in how they live their lives.
Reply 9
Original post by Sarky
Well that is your opinion, which of course you are entitled to. On the other hand, a caucasian woman deciding to wear a veil is a sign of tolerance within society, and despite the best efforts of some plonkers I am very glad I live in a nation that accepts people's choices in how they live their lives.

Yes, but it you are missing a very important point here.
The ideology that dictates thst these women wear the veil, is not in favor of that same tolerance that allows these woman to wear it in the firstplace as you say.
According to that Ideology EVERY woman must wear it. One need only to go to Iran or pakistan to see it with their own eyes.
Reply 10
Tough. Learn to deal with it.
Reply 11
The ideology that dictates thst these women wear the veil, is not in favor of that same tolerance that allows these woman to wear it in the firstplace as you say.
According to that Ideology EVERY woman must wear it. One need only to go to Iran or pakistan to see it with their own eyes.

No. I'm not missing the point. There are lots of muslim women who chose not to wear a headscarf of any kind. In places where every woman wears it this is because of culture, not religion. I know muslim women who wear a hijab, niqab, or nothing. All of which is their choice.

I'm not upset at seeing women in head attire anymore than I'm upset at seeing people with a bad hairstyle.
Reply 12
Original post by Sarky
No. I'm not missing the point. There are lots of muslim women who chose not to wear a headscarf of any kind. In places where every woman wears it this is because of culture, not religion. I know muslim women who wear a hijab, niqab, or nothing. All of which is their choice.I'm not upset at seeing women in head attire anymore than I'm upset at seeing people with a bad hairstyle.

Woman in muslim countries don't wear it because it's a "culture" thing.
a culture thing is a Japanese woman wearing a kinono from time to time to go to wedding.
That's lying to yourself.
they do it because if they will not wear a veil they will be stoned.
"all of which is her choice", yeah because it's not a muslim majority country yet, so she still has a choice.
The irony is OP is preaching to go backwards. Clearly there's a been ill judgment or lack of intelligent reasoning as to why Britain is what is today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Britain shouldn't have started WW2 then.. us Asians wouldn't have been called over and your precious country would have stayed white :0
Reply 15
Woman in muslim countries don't wear it because it's a "culture" thing.
a culture thing is a Japanese woman wearing a kinono from time to time to go to wedding.
That's lying to yourself.
they do it because if they will not wear a veil they will be stoned.
"all of which is her choice", yeah because it's not a muslim majority country yet, so she still has a choice.

Ok, if you say so. Thanks for the education :rolleyes:

You're obviously woefully mistaken. This is a thread to attack Muslims, but disguised as something else tbh... I have been to Pakistan to "see it with my own eyes" Barely any of the women there wear a veil - even a hijab. Most women "wear" scarves, but that's a South Asian thing, and not a Pakistani thing

The word "wear" is in quotation marks, because usually it's just an accessory with the dress, or it's trailing along :tongue:

Quick google of Pakistani actress:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pakistani+actress&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=n-BJVY7VAovaao3hgaAI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Notice any thing? No veil..

And sure you might say "Oh but that's entertainment" you see similar things on the news channels too:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pakistani+actress&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=n-BJVY7VAovaao3hgaAI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=pakistani+actress+news

And we have something called "freedom of expression" in this country. If you don't want people covering up, because of your beliefs, then it is you who is oppressing them; not the other way around. You are not allowing them to wear what they want. As someone said, I really couldn't care if someone walked around in a batman costume. Their choice. IF you want to remove this choice, then well you'd be a hypocrite if you also want certain freedoms which you may or may not do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sarky
Ok, if you say so. Thanks for the education :rolleyes:

Sarky, he made a comment RE: Pakistan and "If you go there you can see it" and tbh, you really can't. Most girls there don't wear a veil at all. Or even any thing that would identify them as Muslim tbh

I would also assume that the OP is against these guys too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_burqa_sect

Unless his issue is only with Muslims?
Reply 18
Original post by The_Internet
Sarky, he made a comment RE: Pakistan and "If you go there you can see it" and tbh, you really can't. Most girls there don't wear a veil at all. Or even any thing that would identify them as Muslim tbh

I would also assume that the OP is against these guys too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_burqa_sect

Unless his issue is only with Muslims?

Oh I know but I always get sucked into these things and you can't argue with stupid. I've grown up with a pakistani muslim family (not mine but very close!), and none of them wear a hijab.

There is nothing you can say that will convince people with an agenda unfortunately. We know what is true.
Original post by Sarky
Oh I know but I always get sucked into these things . I've grown up with a pakistani muslim family (not mine but very close!), and none of them wear a hijab.

There is nothing you can say that will convince people with an agenda unfortunately. We know what is true.

Tis true. I wonder if the OP has any thing against Jewish people who wear say burkhas? and the hijab shows your face any way.. In my view, if you start denying women the right to wear what they want, then it is you who is oppressing them and then you're as bad as Saudi Arabia for doing so!

In my immediate family, no one wears a hijab. My dad doesn't really wear "salwaar kameez" either (He generally wears more "Western" clothes) though in my immediate family, we're only three siblings! In my extended family, and Im trying to think of cousins, 2nd cousins etc... I can think of maybe one or two people (literally) who wear a hijab. No one wears any thing like say a niqab or a burkha, but if they wanted to it's their choice.

Also I wonder if I'll get accused of lying? Cos the OP probably wants to believe that I have 6 brothers and 6 sisters...
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending