The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you guys who can get your ears syringed are so lucky. i have psoriasis in my ears which means that syringing doesn't work even after using ear drops. instead, i have to go the hospital to have the wax build-up "vacuumed out" as it were. it's a very strange sensation but you get used to it.
we've tried and failed to treat the psoriasis. oh well
Reply 21
My ears get blocked up quite frequently, and my Doctor advises that I use a few drops of either Almond Oil or Olive Oil for mild cases, and if it gets any worse, she prescribes drops, which I think are sodium bicarbonate. But don't use cotton buds, or anything to attempt to clean them yourself!
Reply 22
I went to the doctor's with blocked ears recently, and she told me they no longer syringe ears as it's not good for them. She recommended ear drops from the chemist or warm olive oil. Three drops in each ear three times a day for three weeks, she said.
That's if it is a wax build up which I could tell because during normal cleaning of my ears (don't try and go deeper to unblock them with the bud!) there was a lot more wax than usual.
I used the drops from the chemist, and the blockage went after about two days.
Reply 23
This happened to me once.

Had a blocked ear for a week. Got really painful - so went to Doctor.
Turned out i had an ear-infection.

Was given antibiotics - and cleared up in a week.

So go and see ur doctor
SlipperyWhenWet
I have had on off ear problems all my life. As well as frequent ear infections, if I get a cold/flu it often leads to a blocked up ear, sometimes it lasts for a few days but other times it goes on for months! I'm sure yours will clear up sooner though! (I just have very problematic ears!) But really there is little you can do about it. Sure you can give decongestants a try but they've never worked for me. Because you've got this following flu, it's unlikely to be due to wax, so syringing and otex won't do a lot. If it was an infection you would have raging ear ache!

Hope it goes away for you soon! I know how annoying it is!

yeah, you'[ve probably hit the nail on the head.
THere is a little tube that goes from ypour ear to the back of your throat called the eustachian tube. when you have a bad cold/tonsilitus the tonsils around this tube can get swollen and prevent the tube working properly (its job is to equalise the pressure between inner ear and atmosphere. thats why swallowing/sucking ona sweet helps stop the pain of 'ears popping'@).
anywho, you can get gunk sucked up into the tube and it then hangs around quite a while, making life for that ear difficult.
ther symptoms should ease off after a while, but some peoplke are prone to issues like it that will persist for ever more on and off. my right ear does the same as this poster here every few months. not a jott as bad as that first ever episode though.

HTH
Beast-man
Yeah, this happened to me a week ago. For some reason my left ear was only blocked in the mornings, when I woke up :s-smilie:. I used cotton buds, but everything was clean inside, and ocassionally it made it worse. I just left it, and after 4 or 5 days it got better.

That happens to be quite regularly in the mornings, especially if I have been lying on my side. More often that not it is my left ear which is nearly deaf, and sometimes it stays like that for up to a week. I find olive oil helps, but only if you apply if a good 3/4/5 times a day for a few days. I haven't actually have my ears shringed yet, but I will bear this in mind for future reference!
King Leigh
I went to the doctor's with blocked ears recently, and she told me they no longer syringe ears as it's not good for them. She recommended ear drops from the chemist or warm olive oil. Three drops in each ear three times a day for three weeks, she said.
That's if it is a wax build up which I could tell because during normal cleaning of my ears (don't try and go deeper to unblock them with the bud!) there was a lot more wax than usual.
I used the drops from the chemist, and the blockage went after about two days.

same here, I've always been told to use olive oil over any product available on the market, if that fails to work after a few days though then arrange to get them syringed assuming they still do it, as far as I know they still do it where I live, I haven't heard about it being bad for you although obviously you run the risk of damage if you repeatedly get them syringed, I've had it done about 7 times and I've figured it must be because I listen to music at full volume through earphones so I'm trying to avoid using earphones alltogether

Latest

Trending

Trending