The Student Room Group

Millions of British women completely bored by their lives, study reveals

Millions of women have complained they are stuck in a rut because their lives are too ordinary, new research claimed yesterday.

Six in ten disenchanted women in Britain say a lack of money, boredom with the same routine and appearance and a general humdrum has made their lives deathly dull. Of the 4,000 women polled, 28 per cent said they felt more 'ordinary' than they did five years ago.

The report reveals how a 'malaise' is affecting the way women look, feel and style themselves and their surroundings. The unsatisfied lot blamed a limited social life and lack of adventure in style and the bedroom as the key reasons for their malaise.

A lack of confidence which makes women feel insecure about how witty or clever they feel was also blamed.

To make it worse, four in ten women are dreading a winter of discontent as they say the cold season is when they feel most average. A quarter of women admit that feeling generic affects their confidence and holds them back in life and work.

One in five fret that their dress sense is slipping and fear they are starting to look like their mothers.

The general malaise is also infecting women's wardrobes with black being the most common colour in half of women's wardrobes.

Those polled also admit to a pedestrian uniform of jeans and a t-shirt (37 per cent) or an unflattering ensemble of jogging bottoms and a cardigan (35 per cent), with only one in ten women regularly wearing something bright and bold.

Behavioural expert Judi James said: 'The research shows how easy it is for us to fall into an ordinary trap. Worrying about jobs and finances makes us want to take fewer risks which in turn can make us feel more ordinary and have an affect on our happiness, confidence and self-esteem.

'Making small but regular changes like breaking bland habits, consciously adjusting body language to be more upbeat, and using mood-enhancing colours in both dress and decor can be an easy and instant way to reboot positivity and happiness levels.'

The report, entitled Very Ordinary Britain, quizzed women aged 18 to 65 on how happy they were with different aspects of their life.

A lack of time, energy and a fear of speaking up and rocking the boat means that one woman in three is sticking with the status quo.

A fifth said they were bored of their sex life, while 48 per cent said they would be happier with life if they had more decent clothes to wear. Most claim they are happy in their current relationships - but one in ten felt like they could do with ditching their current partner and having a change.

More than half said they would feel better if they treated themselves to a whole new wardrobe or a make-over.

Nearly all admit that adding colour to their appearance makes them feel happier and more attractive to the opposite sex. A third (32 per cent) think wearing colours has helped them in job interviews, and a fifth (21 per cent) think it makes them work harder.

For two fifths of women, wearing the colour red is the biggest counter to feeling extraordinary.

A disenchanted four in ten said they would do things differently if they had their life again and a quarter said they would be happier if they were more spontaneous - with half wishing they could book the next flight at an airport.

Gareth Jones, retail director of very.co.uk, said: "We understand it is easy to slip into routines of ordinary dressing and in turn this can make females, in particular, feel quite uninspired.'

Source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328816/Millions-British-women-bored-lives-endless-housework-money-dull-sex-life.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So instead of the 'woe is me' routine, why don't they do something about it.

Deary god..
i can fullfill their life with passion and excitement. :excited:
I read the first few lines and decided.
The same can be said for men. In fact it can be said for anyone - it's unto oneself to enjoy himself.
I wonder if men feel the same way? :yum:
Well because life looks like this for most because of the education system and organisation of labour in our society:

School (exam factories):
-> Doing well = more intense exam factory production -> boring working 9 to 5 at office
-> Doing bad = bad job prospects -> boring and exhausting jobs
A clothes website commissions a survey which concludes women feel ordinary, thus should buy red dresses.

This isn't a proper study, it's a marketing exercise.
Reply 7
I think it's such a shame that so many people let this happen to themselves. Everyone knows it's important to do the things that are important to you, to follow your dreams, to be your own person. It takes effort, but deep down everyone knows it's worth it. But people trade all that for security and convenience, then end up wondering where their life went, why it's so boring and follows the same life script as everyone else.

I think people shouldn't let themselves get tied down so easily. Be unique and do the things that make you excited. Life has the potential be a wonderful adventure, if only you believe you're worth the risk.
Original post by miser
I think it's such a shame that so many people let this happen to themselves. Everyone knows it's important to do the things that are important to you, to follow your dreams, to be your own person. It takes effort, but deep down everyone knows it's worth it. But people trade all that for security and convenience, then end up wondering where their life went, why it's so boring and follows the same life script as everyone else.

I think people shouldn't let themselves get tied down so easily. Be unique and do the things that make you excited. Life has the potential be a wonderful adventure, if only you believe you're worth the risk.

There are just too many risks

It's not worth it

Safety and comfort > a potentially exciting life

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It's not just British women ! It's everywhere . When usually women hit their 30's that's when they go thru this phase !

And unfortunately they don't really do anything to change this instead just complain about it and act all agitated irritated and further aggravate their condition !

There's so much to do nowadays - they should try keeping themselves busy too .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by life's a pain
There are just too many risks

It's not worth it

Safety and comfort > a potentially exciting life

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know, I feel like your username undermines the sentiment of your message a little.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I read the first few lines and decided.
The same can be said for men. In fact it can be said for anyone - it's unto oneself to enjoy himself.
Exactly, more entitled feminist nonsense. Men commit suicide at a far higher rate and work a lot longer hours in more dangerous jobs than women but we have better things to do than write a crappy article about how bored we are. So what nobody cares women, go and bloody do something about it then it's the same for everyone not just women. :rolleyes:
Original post by miser

What do you mean shouldn't get tied down so easily? You do realise this applies to men and not just women don't you?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I wonder if men feel the same way? :yum:

Yep as a matter of fact we're even unhappier and a lot more dissatisfied with modern day women and their behaviour, we just don't go around doing studies and trying to be attention seekers like women do. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Hatem Ben Arfa
What do you mean shouldn't get tied down so easily?

I mean shouldn't get tied down with commitments and responsibilities. Once you have a job, a relationship, a house, children, etc., let's face it - you're probably done chasing your dreams.

Every item you own ties you down. The more you conform to society's role for you, the more embedded you become, and the more difficult it is to be free. People blindly follow what they think they're supposed to do for too long, so that before they know it, they're stuck.

You do realise this applies to men and not just women don't you?

:rolleyes:
Original post by miser
I mean shouldn't get tied down with commitments and responsibilities. Once you have a job, a relationship, a house, children, etc., let's face it - you're probably done chasing your dreams.

Every item you own ties you down. The more you conform to society's role for you, the more embedded you become, and the more difficult it is to be free. People blindly follow what they think they're supposed to do for too long, so that before they know it, they're stuck.

:rolleyes:
What's with the roll of the eyes, are you saying this applies to women only and not men?
What do you mean shouldn't get tied down so easily? You do realise this applies to men and not just women don't you?

I don't think miser was referring to women only ! It was in general I guess . But I absolutely agree what has been mentioned by miser ! None of us should get tied down so easily . That's what I meant earlier - get out there do something with your life !

You only have one ! :-)
Original post by Zarghoona
I don't think miser was referring to women only ! It was in general I guess . But I absolutely agree what has been mentioned by miser ! None of us should get tied down so easily . That's what I meant earlier - get out there do something with your life !

You only have one ! :-)

Exactly it applies to both yet everyday this crap is thrown in our faces about WOMEN being dissatisfied WOMEN want change WOMEN want this WOMEN need this and quite frankly i'm sick of hearing and reading about it. Why don't they all go live on an island seperately away from men and live how they want to live, we'll all be a lot happier in the long run i'm sure.
Reply 18
What's with the roll of the eyes, are you saying this applies to women only and not men?

I rolled my eyes because I thought you were being condescending.

I intended my post to apply to men and women.
Original post by miser
I rolled my eyes because I thought you were being condescending.

I intended my post to apply to men and women.
Fair enough in that case I apologize

Quick Reply

Latest