The Student Room Group

Biology or Computer Science Degree?

I need to make a decision real soon about what i want to study, i have taken a foundation year relating to computers and engineering i also have 3 a levels 2 of which in Biology and chemistry although i obtained a grade below a C in each subject due to many reasons my options so far is:

biology,biomedical science, biomedical engineering and computer science and most engineering courses at middlesex university

Biological sciences at Hertfordshire

compsci at KCL

compsci at qmul

compsci at City university

i dont know what to. i am not sure whether to go for computer science or biology. need help to come to a decision urgently.
Original post by UghDecisions
I need to make a decision real soon about what i want to study, i have taken a foundation year relating to computers and engineering i also have 3 a levels 2 of which in Biology and chemistry although i obtained a grade below a C in each subject due to many reasons my options so far is:

biology,biomedical science, biomedical engineering and computer science and most engineering courses at middlesex university

Biological sciences at Hertfordshire

compsci at KCL

compsci at qmul

compsci at City university

i dont know what to. i am not sure whether to go for computer science or biology. need help to come to a decision urgently.

Going to give this a second lease of life in applications and UCAS :h:
Reply 2
Well really this is a matter of what yo enjoy and no one on here can decide for you. Based on the uni's you are considering and not the courses, I would say computer science at KCL sounds the best. However the enjoyment of the course is more important than the university. Look through course modules and see which you'd be best suited to as they are both quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra
Going to give this a second lease of life in applications and UCAS :h:

Thank you :smile: and sorry for the late reply but is it ok if i can have your opinion on it? xD i am not sure if i should do biology at a lower ranked university or computer science at a higher ranked one.
Original post by r-t
Well really this is a matter of what yo enjoy and no one on here can decide for you. Based on the uni's you are considering and not the courses, I would say computer science at KCL sounds the best. However the enjoyment of the course is more important than the university. Look through course modules and see which you'd be best suited to as they are both quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats true, thank you for your answer, i know this is a very late reply. would you say biology at a lower ranked university is bad?
Thank you :smile: and sorry for the late reply but is it ok if i can have your opinion on it? xD i am not sure if i should do biology at a lower ranked university or computer science at a higher ranked one.

It depends on how much you think you will enjoy each course and your aspirations for your career.

They're both very different courses. Also where would you prefer to live for the next few years.

If you can ignore the ranking and go with what feels right to you. If you achieve a good grade at uni, with decent work experience you'll do great.
Original post by She-Ra
It depends on how much you think you will enjoy each course and your aspirations for your career.

They're both very different courses. Also where would you prefer to live for the next few years.

If you can ignore the ranking and go with what feels right to you. If you achieve a good grade at uni, with decent work experience you'll do great.

Your right, thank you for your answer. My problem is that i have no idea what i want to do as a career for the rest of my life, either be a biologist in a lab or design software/games/work in an office as a computer scientist and many more options.
But i will ignore rankings. :smile:
Your right, thank you for your answer. My problem is that i have no idea what i want to do as a career for the rest of my life, either be a biologist in a lab or design software/games/work in an office as a computer scientist and many more options.
But i will ignore rankings. :smile:

Good luck with every thing :smile:
Reply 8
Both areas are compatible. For instance, bioinformatics is a rising field were there are a lot of job offers right now.

I can tell you about my experience.
I have a degree in biology and after I finished my masters I started learning how to write programs to analyse my own data.
Now, I'm getting my PhD in genomics were I need to write part of the software I use to analyse my data and, I also do some work in the lab.

At this moment it is relatively easy to find something merging both areas.
In my research group we are two biologists with self-taught informatics skills and one computer scientist with self-taught biology skills. So, don't freak out too much.

Wish you the best luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending