The Student Room Group

Tips & Advice for Psychology Research in the Classroom?

The research is focused on whether the behaviourism theory of learning affects motivation in the classroom
Assumption: The theory of behaviourism will change the level of motivation in the classroom
Observing lessons without taking part
Focused on males
Will be drawing their class plan of where they're all sitting

I have no idea where to start with my coding system to take notes. I was thinking about setting up a table with Praise and Punishment using O (positive affect) and X (negative affect) and then by the side how it effects their self-esteem (with arrows showing increase or decrease or nothing at all to show no change). But it doesn't really measure the motivation levels?

Example:
Praise | Punishment
O - SE (increase) | X - SE (-)

Also I will need to focus on:
Vicarious Reinforcement
Positive Reinforcement
Negative Reinforcement
Negative Punishment
But I'm not sure how to measure/note the effect..

Any advice/tips on how to include motivation in this research? Will answer any questions if I haven't explained it clearly! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
A few things to note:

- I think you need to break down 'behaviourism' and focus on exactly what you mean by that.

- you can also have positive punishment. Are you definitely sure that you understand those terms? (Just checking cos many people misunderstand them).

- how would you measure motivation? It's a very internal thing and not always observable easily

- what about gaining ethical approval? It is very difficult to get it for any research involving children
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
A few things to note:

- I think you need to break down 'behaviourism' and focus on exactly what you mean by that.

- you can also have positive punishment. Are you definitely sure that you understand those terms? (Just checking cos many people misunderstand them).

- how would you measure motivation? It's a very internal thing and not always observable easily

- what about gaining ethical approval? It is very difficult to get it for any research involving children

It's more like a research we're doing to revise for PY4 so it's not a proper experiment.
By "positive punishment" I mean, if a teacher was to give back a test where the pupil had a low grade/mark hopefully he'd reflect on it and learn not to make the same mistakes in the future. The punishment being the low grade/mark or the feeling of disappointment, and the positive side, learning from the mistakes and achieving a higher grade/mark in the next test.
I guess when measuring motivation I'd start by observing their facing expressions when they're being praised, whether they keep contributing to the lesson or not, I understand measuring motivation is very hard!
Considering if I had told the children what I was doing, and why I'm observing their lesson it will definitely effect the results so I would have to cheat them, although the teachers know exactly what I'm doing. I'll also be giving a debrief to the children at the end.
Original post by Ceriidwen
It's more like a research we're doing to revise for PY4 so it's not a proper experiment.
By "positive punishment" I mean, if a teacher was to give back a test where the pupil had a low grade/mark hopefully he'd reflect on it and learn not to make the same mistakes in the future. The punishment being the low grade/mark or the feeling of disappointment, and the positive side, learning from the mistakes and achieving a higher grade/mark in the next test.
I guess when measuring motivation I'd start by observing their facing expressions when they're being praised, whether they keep contributing to the lesson or not, I understand measuring motivation is very hard!
Considering if I had told the children what I was doing, and why I'm observing their lesson it will definitely effect the results so I would have to cheat them, although the teachers know exactly what I'm doing. I'll also be giving a debrief to the children at the end.
I mentioned positive punishment cos it wasn't on your list. It is very difficult to measure motivation and you might find it difficult to get any idea - you would need a baseline for example. Maybe they are always happy/sad? It might not change their behaviour, even if their behaviour suggestion increased or decreased motivation. And I'm not saying that you need permission from the pupils to observe - but you would still need consent from school. I guess this is A Level? Cos if it was a uni you would have to submit a proposal to the ethics board. Still best to check with tutors though
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
I mentioned positive punishment cos it wasn't on your list. It is very difficult to measure motivation and you might find it difficult to get any idea - you would need a baseline for example. Maybe they are always happy/sad? It might not change their behaviour, even if their behaviour suggestion increased or decreased motivation. And I'm not saying that you need permission from the pupils to observe - but you would still need consent from school. I guess this is A Level? Cos if it was a uni you would have to submit a proposal to the ethics board. Still best to check with tutors though

I had positive punishment under "positive reinforcement" on my plan. Yeah, it's for A level, our teacher has sorted that all out for us :smile: Thanks!
Original post by Ceriidwen
I had positive punishment under "positive reinforcement" on my plan. Yeah, it's for A level, our teacher has sorted that all out for us :smile: Thanks!

Positive punishment and positive reinforcement are completely different things. Make sure you are 100% certain on the terminology if you are coding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending