The Student Room Group

CIE iGCSE Biology

Scroll to see replies

I can't work out if it all went awful or if it actually went OK - everyone in my school came out literally in shock that everything we had revised ( photosynthesis tests and requirements, food tests, germination, osmosis, pollination etc.) didn't come up :frown: I found it hard to find anyone who had revised the heart rate and it was 1/2 of the paper ://

What did you guys say about comparing the filtered juices? I didn't understand what the little dots were?
Original post by orlaithx
I can't work out if it all went awful or if it actually went OK - everyone in my school came out literally in shock that everything we had revised ( photosynthesis tests and requirements, food tests, germination, osmosis, pollination etc.) didn't come up :frown: I found it hard to find anyone who had revised the heart rate and it was 1/2 of the paper ://

What did you guys say about comparing the filtered juices? I didn't understand what the little dots were?

i think they were pieces of plant structure that the enzyme hadn't broken down. not sure though
Reply 42

I said it was cloudiness, so they were either cloudy or clear
Original post by dwinnbrown
i think they were pieces of plant structure that the enzyme hadn't broken down. not sure though

I had absolutely no idea so I said they were bits but then I also said that they looked cloudy ://// I'm scared they won't give me the mark now because I put two answers in case they contradict each other
I had absolutely no idea so I said they were bits but then I also said that they looked cloudy ://// I'm scared they won't give me the mark now because I put two answers in case they contradict each other

I said that they were cloudy and clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I said cloudy and clear too. When i saw the first question with the orange I thought it was a shame I couldn't just leave! And I am rubbish at maths! I didn't know how to work out the diameter! Wish I could see the marking paper to guage how I did! Yay, 2 more next week :-(
Original post by angelljames135
I said that they were cloudy and clear

SAME! They were just bits of undigested fruit! I Remember doing the experiment with Pectinase two years ago!!
However, I did exactly the same thing as orlaithx but I don't think it matters..

With the diameter question, some said to measure from different ends of the vein and take an average.

Good Luck next week!!
Reply 47
Original post by kavindajd
SAME! They were just bits of undigested fruit! I Remember doing the experiment with Pectinase two years ago!!
However, I did exactly the same thing as orlaithx but I don't think it matters..

With the diameter question, some said to measure from different ends of the vein and take an average.

Good Luck next week!!

Hey, what mark are you aiming for in the multiple choice (out of 40) and extended theory (out of 80)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Perol,

I'm aiming for more than 35/40 in the Multiple Choice as I've been averaging 36 on my past papers. Extended Theory? I'm not fully sure but I could probably do with 65+ (if everything goes well...)

What about you?

Thank you , same here! We were all gutted as we'd spent the last few days revising for it, only for none of it to come up :\

I hope it was alright though.

How is everyone feeling for 1 and 3 this Thursday?
Reply 50
Original post by kavindajd
Hey Perol,

I'm aiming for more than 35/40 in the Multiple Choice as I've been averaging 36 on my past papers. Extended Theory? I'm not fully sure but I could probably do with 65+ (if everything goes well...)

What about you?

is 70 to 75/80 hard to get? im gonna aim high cos i revised the wrong stuff for biology and just freaked out so i might have got like 17/40 BUT accoring to grade boundaries i need like 95% for bio extended theory for A*, is that doable considering im averaging 60/80 so far :frown: i would love an A*
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Perol,

Generally, for an A* you need to get a mark somewhere in between the A boundary and full marks. As an A* doesn't exist for a single component its hard to guess where it might be depending on how you do on Paper 1 and Paper 6. But that's where I've been told to look...

E.g: Using the 2014 Grade Thresholds, you would aim for 61+ to get an A* which is just 75%. The boundary for an A was 41/80 last year.

I'm hoping you didn't get 17/40 cos that looks like a C and it's hard to make up those missed marks if you don't get well into the A* on Thursday...

Let's assume that you get 60/80 on Paper 3, 30/40 in MP and suppose you did get 17/40 (highly unlikely :smile: ), my calculations show that you could squeeze yourself an A* :smile:

I can't speculate about the exam and how difficult it is and I don't wan't to dampen your spirits. Just work hard and do as many papers as possible - you'll do great!! Good Luck... :smile:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Original post by Morganblue68
Thank you , same here! We were all gutted as we'd spent the last few days revising for it, only for none of it to come up :\

I hope it was alright though.

How is everyone feeling for 1 and 3 this Thursday?

Nearly dead and longing for the holidays already... :smile: What about you?
(edited 8 years ago)
I put skin and flesh
Reply 53
I have a feeling that tomorrow's chemistry is gonna be dodgy.
Reply 54
Original post by Zain.Y
I have a feeling that tomorrow's chemistry is gonna be dodgy.

what time is ur exam?
Original post by Perol
what time is ur exam?

Mine is 1:30
Original post by e1l2l3i4e5
Mine is 1:30

Hi I have Chem Practical tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of what I should focus on revising? Any tests etc. I always find the conclusion about the substance tricky
Reply 57
Original post by desertlover
Hi I have Chem Practical tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of what I should focus on revising? Any tests etc. I always find the conclusion about the substance tricky

tests
Thought it went quite well today! Recognized most of the questions!! Doesn't the same exam take place at the same time here?

How many of you put Water as the solvent for the chromatography question? :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Water was wrong i think because the dyes were insoluble in water

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending