The Student Room Group

Worst things to say to students during the exam period?

Scroll to see replies

You have left your revision too late. :redface:
I really hate this-
Teacher- "Get a good nights sleep and don't stress".
Me- "How am I supposed to not stress and sleep when I'm shaking and crying at night before exam?"
and
Mum- "Don't worry I know how it feels"
Mum- "Are you ready?"
Mum-"How has every one else done?"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Parent: "How did it go?"
Me (thinking): There's absolutely no need for this question. Either it went OK, or I come home and cry quietly in my bedroom.

Parent: "Remind me what exam that was..."
Me (thinking): I told you that 3 hours ago.

Parent: "So how many more have you got to go?"
Me (thinking): I told you that 3 hours ago.

Parent: "Do you have an exam tomorrow?"
Me (thinking): Aaaaarrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!

In all cases the easiest way out is to give them the answer they want whilst inwardly seething, then find some space alone.
Reply 23
"It's easy for you - you're clever."

Yeah, because "clever" people gain knowledge by magic and never have to do stuff like actually plough through a reading list. When a "clever" person walks into a library, the information just mysteriously downloads directly into their brains with no effort at all. And the Coursework Pixies spend weeks researching and writing essays. "Clever" people don't even have to think about them. And exams are fun for "clever" people.

aargh.
Parent - "How did you find your exam?"
Me - "It was fine"
Parent - "How? Its either good or bad"

If I say bad, then I get complaints about not revising enough, if I say good, they expect more :redface:
Reply 25
"youre revising so much, take a few breaks!"
*10 minutes later*
"youre not revising enough work harder or youll fail"
*after exam*
"how was the exam"
-think i got a couple wrong-
"shouldve revised more, but its ok no matter what"

one of these days this conversations going to end very badly
Stop gaming, stop just sitting here, go do revision.
Oh dear, at this rate you would never ever get into uni.
OK. I know what I am doing, I am not a robot, I need ****ing rest too. Besides, stop trying to tell me that not getting into uni is the end of the world. It is not.
'Don't worry, you'll get the grades you deserve'
They never seem to get that that is what I'm afraid of!

'I'm sure you'll be fine, you've done a lot of revision for it'
This just makes me think of how much more revision I should have done.

Original post by Klix88
"It's easy for you - you're clever."

Yeah, because "clever" people gain knowledge by magic and never have to do stuff like actually plough through a reading list. When a "clever" person walks into a library, the information just mysteriously downloads directly into their brains with no effort at all. And the Coursework Pixies spend weeks researching and writing essays. "Clever" people don't even have to think about them. And exams are fun for "clever" people.

aargh.

^ This. The whole if you do well, they all say you didn't have to work and it was obviously going to happen as it's all so easy for you, but if you do badly it's scandalous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Oh, so and so did so well, why can't you be more like them. She got all As in her mocks"
Me inside my head - "Because they're only in Year 10, work is easy compared to A-Levels?!"

"You have so many folders for no reason"
Me - "maybe because I need them, I've got like 6 AS exams and they aren't easy!"

"Your brother did hardly any revision" or "You do too much revision"
Me - "yes because he did A-Level Chemistry (in sarcasm), ICT is such a hard A-Level compared to Chemistry right?."
(edited 8 years ago)
"How'd it go?"
"You just need [insert grade]."

Original post by Klix88
And exams are fun for "clever" people.

They are.
Reply 30
Original post by boods8897

The worst thing is that it never stops. I'm (brace yourself) 51 years old and my mother is *still* telling me how easy I've had it compared to my brother, because I'm good at academic stuff and he never was!
The minute I do the exam "what grade did you get"
I don't know, I've only sat the exam 10 minutes ago :colonhash:
Original post by Klix88
The worst thing is that it never stops. I'm (brace yourself) 51 years old and my mother is *still* telling me how easy I've had it compared to my brother, because I'm good at academic stuff and he never was!

My brother was one of those people who everyone liked, they all think he's hilarious, all the teachers knew him, got good results without working much.... It took me basically having a emotional breakdown with one teacher because of the pressure before the comparisons/'you don't need to put the work in' stopped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Feraligatr

"You have so many folders for no reason"

This too, but more when I buy the folders in September. I have 18 exams, so have two shelves full of folders.
Original post by morgan8002
This too, but more when I buy the folders in September. I have 18 exams, so have two shelves full of folders.

I hate when they say that though, really annoys me because I need them :frown:
I'll have like another 6 or so for A2 :redface:
Original post by Feraligatr
I hate when they say that though, really annoys me because I need them :frown:
I'll have like another 6 or so for A2 :redface:

Yeah. If you're going to work for a subject you need to have somewhere to put it all.
Parents should just say "good luck".

Only intervene when requested to, or they are in dire need of support.
Original post by boods8897
My brother was one of those people who everyone liked, they all think he's hilarious, all the teachers knew him, got good results without working much.... It took me basically having a little emotional breakdown with one teacher because of the pressure before the comparisons/'you don't need to put the work in' stopped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah. If you're going to work for a subject you need to have somewhere to put it all.

Exactly!
PROSM
ME TO TEACHER: I finished my mock test, it was crap- please don't mark it, I FAILED :frown:

My friends: Miss, he says that every time and gets an A in the exam!!!!!

:dry::dry::dry::dumbells::dumbells::dumbells::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyeball::eyeball::eyeball::fangs::fangs::fangs::grr::grr::grr::grr::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest